Engine Oil Help

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently changed my oil with some 20-50 and noticed that the old engine oil had so much metal flecks in it that this may have been the first oil change on it and it has 3200 miles. I bought it from the dealer with 900 and there is no record of a 600 mile oil change. SO my question is before the oil change my idle was around 1380rpms maybe a little higher. After the oil change i notice that the rpms dropped to around 1220. Is this ok???

S

sportrider

it should be fine. let the bike warm up completely and see what the RPMs are at mine idles at 1200 + or - 60 when warm. at initial start up it's at 1600

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently changed my oil with some 20-50 and noticed that the old engine oil had so much metal flecks in it that this may have been the first oil change on it and it has 3200 miles. I bought it from the dealer with 900 and there is no record of a 600 mile oil change. SO my question is before the oil change my idle was around 1380rpms maybe a little higher. After the oil change i notice that the rpms dropped to around 1220. Is this ok???
A couple of issues here mate. Was the 600 mile service actually done? If not this may explain the level of metallic particles in the oil.
What is your normal RPM once the engine is warm?
There are a number of riders here who have to carry out regular idel settings. like Danny I go for the 1200 mark once the engine is warm.

Nel

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I might consider an oil change right away and change it again after a few hundred miles, just to clean it up. I would also want to get the valves adjusted just in case. Just consider the valve adjustment well spent insurance money if in fact it was not done. I for one do not trust the dealer.

The first thing I do when buying anything used is change all the fluids. ;)