best rain tyre

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
my stock dunlops are practically bald at the rear (11.000kms) pretty poor performance i think , there not road legal so i need new tyres asap im thinking either bridgestone BTO23 or michelin road pilot 3 , i live in Dublin Ireland so its raining at least 3 days a week so i figure best get a decent wet weather tyre rather than a warm waether as its hardly ever warm :eek: any advice as to which is the better option , i was concidering pirelli angel st but after reading through threads already on this forum ive decised against that brand , thanks for any imput

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
I also am upcoming tire replacement, as soon as the snow here melts...
I have been reseaching for a while. I like the Pilot Road 2. I couldn't find the 3 on Michelin's website. Everyone seems to be very happy with these tires with wet performance and mileage.
I've got about 4500 miles and the stock rear dunlop is squared off to the wear bars. I'm anxious to get a new set though:rockon:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Your two options are both great. However, the Pilot Road 2 was introduced in 2007. They were developed from MotoGP rain tires. The silica component offers grip and responsiveness on cold, wet roads. It utilizes three silica-reinforced tread compounds. The Pilot road 3 was designed to surpass the PR2 so if wet grip is what you want, need I say more.

Here is a link to a 2011 tire guide I did today. http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/35878-2011-tire-guide.html

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i read that tyre guide some good info :thumbup:

theres different spec tyres as far as i know the piolt3 arent long on the market in ireland (europe) ill be importing them from the uk anyway as irish prices are a rip off ,

ive never heard of avon tyres

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, there are quite a few threads on here that discuss exactly what you are all on a bout....go to the tyre section of the forum, and have a good read, lots of great info in there for the patient.

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler M5 for sports riders , Metzeler Z6 Interacts for sport/touring & the new Metzeler Z8 Interact for sport/touring which is finally in stock & getting fitted next Saturday morning :cheer: , end thread :D

Seriously , they are freakin' awesome tyres , I now have canvas hanging out of the rear tyre :eek: & it still has 90% of it performance :thumbup: i'll never change brands again :thumbup:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i read that tyre guide some good info :thumbup:

theres different spec tyres as far as i know the piolt3 arent long on the market in ireland (europe) ill be importing them from the uk anyway as irish prices are a rip off ,

ive never heard of avon tyres

Avon have been around for decades. Their tyres tend to be cheaper than Dunlops and way cheaper than Michelins. They often have a deeper tread pattern than other brands giving longer life and they were offering a free replacement warranty if you got a puncture in the first however many mm of tread wear.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The BEST tire for rain is the one with the most tread(not worn out). That said it's hard to beat the Michelin Pilot Road 2 in all conditions.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered a set of Pilot Road 3 tires. $300. They promise better than the 2s for wet riding and mileage. They've got to be better than my Dunlops! :thumbup:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I had michelin pilot road 2 and completely hate them on the wet, actually on the dry as well

had avon storm st (the previous version) and completely loved them, recommended
had pirelli diablo strada and completely loved them, recommended
have pirelli angel st and completely loved them, recommended

next time I want to try avon storm 2 st

I am definitely not a speed junkie sport rider, I am a sport/touring one, not the slowest one, not the fastest one, but for sure my riding is not slow at all.

Cheers.

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunlop roadsmarts are designed for wet weather......i ran a set on my sv650n:cheer:;););) and loved them....would like to get a set for the fz6 i just picked up...thanks Tom

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running conti Road Attacks. They stick better at 40deg f and raining better than the stock tires ever did with perfect conditions on a really good road. Ice sand, wet painted lines, and 25deg f with heavy throttle in 1st and cornering has been the only time they ever twitched.