ER-1 error message?

annafinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all; this is my first post, please forgive me if it's a)a daft question or b)has been asked a million times before! I've searched for a few related keywords but no joy. So...

Rode my bike to work as usual this morning, no problem. The weather's been awful today, intermittent hosing rain; came out at hometime, and all I get is a clicking/buzzing noise accompanied by the 'ER-1' error message.

So I've found that code - no signal from the ECU, and 3 possible causes - Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead, Malfunction in meter, Malfunction in ECU.

Could this just be rain causing electrical shenanigans? I've left the bike locked at work tonight, thinking it might have dried by tomorrow if this is the case.

If it's water, can I usefully WD-40 the bike somewhere, and where?

And why isn't there a Haynes or Clymer for our bikes?!

Any help much appreciated -

Anna

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Although there are plenty of people on here far more qualified to answer the question, I would suspect that with the bad weather the UK has been getting, rain with high winds, then it is likely that some water has got to a connector or something.

Have you put it somewhere less exposed to the weather overnight?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Anna,

First welcome to the site.

Here's a link to the various fault codes: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/3131-fault-codes-listed-fz6-service-manual.html

Also here's a link to the service/owner's manual section: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/320-2004-through-2007-manuals-download-here.html

Have you checked to make sure all of the connections are tight?

I wouldn't suggest WD-40 because once it does dry out dust and dirt will stick to the oil. IPA, rubbing alcohol will be work much better. It displaces the water, dries quickly and will not damage the electronics.

Good Luck!

annafinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that, I'd downloaded the owners and service info but was baffled by the many numbers and the rather dense illustrations. I won't get a chance to look at the bike tomorrow either as I teach all day, so I'm afraid it'll be the lazy RAC route for me.

Can you recommend any key points to begin trying to drive out water?

- Anna

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that, I'd downloaded the owners and service info but was baffled by the many numbers and the rather dense illustrations. I won't get a chance to look at the bike tomorrow either as I teach all day, so I'm afraid it'll be the lazy RAC route for me.

Can you recommend any key points to begin trying to drive out water?

- Anna

I'm not an expert by any means on electronics, there are others on this Forum who are much better than me, HavBlue you out there? Fred is on vacation but he is an ace at electronics.

I would begin with the connectors that the ECU plugs into, you want them dry and clean.

I'm not sure if our ECU is in a box, only had mine two months, but make sure water has not gotten inside the box, if there is one.

A can of compressed air will help too.

I wish I could help more, hopefully the ECU isn't shot.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try and leave it somewhere to dry out and see if it works in the morning, it could be the wet getting in somewhere.

It will need to be looked at though because as we all know rain is Englands summer weather. If you don`t get it checked out it will probably come back just when you don`t need it. 3am, M25, you know what I mean.

Steve