Want to add weight to the handlebar...

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to add some weight on the handlebars - I have a small problem with vibrations (and it's not from wheels og suspension because it's also felt from standstil and reving up)... sometimes the problem is there.. sometime it's not. Have had engine and engine-mountings checked without anything out of the ordinary... So now I am looking for cheap quick-fix solutions.

The standard bar ends on my FZ6 seems pretty heavy already?

Whats the best and maybe easiest thing to do here?
* Fill up the handlebar with lead?
* Buy new heavier bar ends (hopefully some that would look great too)?
* Buy er new heavier handlebar (must be expensive fix)?

Any suggestions?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd look at the lead option. Search "lead" on the site, because I remember this topic coming up with someone else not long ago - don't remember who though :confused:

I have Rizoma bar ends, but they are only 65g each.

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
Hey MrMogensen,

A little trick I used on my old Diversion was to fill the handle bars with sand; bike on sidestand, unscrew bar end, use funnel to pour in sand until it's full, screw bar end back on! I used the very dry childrens play-pit sand. Building sand may be a little too clumpy and fill unevenly.

Not only makes them heavier, but is alot cheaper than lead or new bars. It's reversible too if you don't like it, or come to trade in your bike - Back on side stand, unscrew other bar end, let the sand pour out, jobs a good'n!

Personally I'd say the stock bar ends are fairly weighty as they are, you may be hard pushed to find heavier which also look good.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey MrMogensen,

Personally I'd say the stock bar ends are fairly weighty as they are, you may be hard pushed to find heavier which also look good.

Yes that is exactly what I think... that the standard bar ends weigh alot (haven't had them om a weight yet though)...

I like the sand-idea... and I guess it has to be very very fine grained so it does not mash up the screw threads on the bar ends.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
use search, there are lots of discussions on this..filling the bar with loose diving weight(lead) makes a huge difference.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My HVMP bar ends are heavier than stock, but I use them on an aftermarket aluminum handlebar.
Definitely an improvement over stock setup, but to be honest, there is still too much vibration at 6.5-7k rpm, which is what the bike turns at highway speeds.
I've never tried any other bar-filling tricks though.

19792d1247953284-renthal-handlebar-hvmp-bar-ends-oury-grips-bar5.jpg

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would put most of the blame on the stock handlebars of the FZ. Granted, there are substantial vibrations in the bike at certain RPM's, but the bars do not have much weight, thickness, or rigidity to counteract this.

My fix was swapping over to these:
STREETFIGHTER BARS - Handlebar Renthal Road : Powersport Bikes.co.uk
The thicker wall coupled with the cross bar and end weights all but eliminated my fatigue due to vibration.

If you did not want to opt for the full bar, they also offer these:
https://www.powersport.co.uk/07stoc...artment=Handlebar&groupid=2035&show=3&group=1

Great product in my eyes.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The roadbrace/clamp set looks very nice, but they have 0 in stock - but I must be able to find a similar product here in Denmark (og Europe). It makes sense that this add-on should strengthen the handlebar and help lower vibrations.
A roadbrace/clamp mixed with sand in the original handlebar must be the cheapest fix that actually works!

I would have liked to pour lead (small lead balls used for ammo), but they are illegal in Denmark. Could buy the in Sweden or Germany but not without a hunting-permit.

Saferider

Reaction score
Visit site
I find the topic very interesting, but I have to confess that I do not have any vibration that bothers at all at any speed, except perhaps above 100 mph, which I very-very rarely do. I find the bike to be very smooth, compared to another 3 or 4 bikes that I have had. I have it stock with Oxford Heated grips, and it is a 2008. I wonder if the type of pavement in your area makes the underlying problem noticeable. Good luck with the solution.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I find the topic very interesting, but I have to confess that I do not have any vibration that bothers at all at any speed, except perhaps above 100 mph, which I very-very rarely do. I find the bike to be very smooth, compared to another 3 or 4 bikes that I have had. I have it stock with Oxford Heated grips, and it is a 2008. I wonder if the type of pavement in your area makes the underlying problem noticeable. Good luck with the solution.

vibrations are related mainly to rpms, if you dont take it above 7k and over 100mph in highest gear, or have aftermarket pipes; you are not very likely to experience bad vibs. fz6 becomes a different bike when you keep the revs high above 7k..

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Pro-Grips, gel type grips absorb a lot of vibes as well.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grip-699-Open-Sportbike/dp/B000I1SAZ8/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1282000857&sr=1-9]Amazon.com: Pro Grip 699 Open End Sportbike Gel Grip - Open End/Black: Automotive[/ame]

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
What does vibration have to do with exhaust? I'm curious.. did someone mention that going with AM pipes smoothed the ride out?

It does. I have scorps and a PC3 on one bike, stock on the other. mod bike runs smoother through the whole range.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have stock exhaust.

And yes - some road surfaces in Denmark is pure crap, but as I mentioned in the opening post of this thread the same vibrations are present during idle.
They most likely come from the engine. It has been checked thoroughly during last service (big service with valve adjustment) 2 months ago. Engine mountings seemed fine aswell. Sometimes I even feel it in the foot rests.
Mechanic said that he has had different bikes (different bikes) with same problem, and if I was rich I could just buy a new engine haha.

I think I will try the "sand-mod" first and see what that gets me. Then perhaps some of the gel-grips + bar ends... all cheap mods!

We have got monsun-like rain these days in Denmark right now, so waiting for the kiddy sand-box to dry :D

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
What does vibration have to do with exhaust? I'm curious.. did someone mention that going with AM pipes smoothed the ride out?

I meant the opposite, but it is interesting to see that it may work the other way too. In my case, the loud cans created lots of resonance which was being transferred to the handlebars thru the frame. All vib issues were fixed by switching pipes back to stock and filling the bar with lead.

Last edited:

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6 and I get enough vibration to cause my left hand to go to sleep when I am crusing at 6-7k RPM. I installed grip puppies and it seems to help my right hand some.

I am going to try the samd and the supplemental bar,

thanks

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I got lucky with my 2008, i have very minimal vibes to the point it is a non-issue. I did put grip puppies on it right off the bat though, that may be the difference.