Avon Roadrider

H

HavBlue

The AM26 RoadRider tire is Avon's general purpose tire and it is bias-ply although you can get them with a V (149mph) speed rating. This tire replaced the HKM model designation. These tires will work great for the vintage machines like the Norton, Triumph, BMW, BSA, Harley Sportster and even the Seca II. I would not however recommend them for the FZ6 or any sportbike for that matter as these chassis systems were designed for radial tires. Avon does make a very good tire for sportbikes in the Supervenom.

H

HavBlue

The Dunlop SportMax Roadsmart is replacing the D220 series. In pre-production testing the tire did quite well however, it has been my experience Dunlop tires, regardless of the model, have a tendency to cup over time and this could be said with more than just the bikes I own as I have observed the same problem with other bikes as well. The Roadsmart was designed using 3D CAD assistance and it is a multi-compound structure. The pre-production testing and feedback were a serious part of the end result however, the tire has yet to be proven by those of us on the street. In the short term things would appear to be looking good but again, there is no long term feedback available. Dunlop is attempting to gather its share of the sport touring market and at face value the tire looks good but the MSRP of $183usd front and $283usd rear aren't anything special.

Buying tires is no easy task as a number of factors must be addressed. Things like primary use, road conditions, surface compounds and riding style all play a part in any tire purchase. In my case I chose the Continental Road Attack and these replaced the D252 tires that came on the FZ6. I also use the Continental Milestone on the Harley XL1200R. In both cases I have been very pleased and the tire wear thus far has been excellent.

Last edited by a moderator: