SPOILER: World Superbike's Rd4: Assen! Now with Race report!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, round 4 of the World Supers has started....Race 1 of the big bikes was awesome...great to see some different bikes up the front...

Troy Corser looks to be getting closer and closer to race winning pace on that BMW...

I reckon race 2 will be a ripper...lots of people keen for a good result right now..Championship is very tight!

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Race two was an absolute cracker!!! If you have not seen it people, make sure you do! It was awesome, 10 bikes in the lead group for a lot of the race, and some crazy overtaking moves!!!

Jonathan Rea pulled through for a double win at Assen, with fellow Brit grabbing a sceond and third, Leon Haslam also on the pdium again inthe second race, after struggling with brake problems in the first race...

Here is a link to all the results, for all the classes...Superbike, Supersport, Superstock...

Assen Superbike - Race 1

Assen Superbike - Race 2

Assen Supersport - Race

Assen Superstock 1000 - Race

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is going on Ducati. Not happy.

Yes, for once, it is not them that are serving it up to the Japanese manufacturers, rather Aprillia, and BMW seem to be the more likely protagonists this year....

Haga slipped from 3rd to 6th in the Championship yesterday...Ouch!

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm... Abe??? Or is that Haga :BLAA:

OK! Just testing to see if anyone was actually reading my posts! LOL! Hmmmm...maybe it was wishful thinking, i miss watching Abe race....especially now that he is no longer with us!

Abe / Haga....same thing, both are., or were, insanely talented "ninja turtle" japanese racers! Just awesome!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just watched race 2 - watched Underbelly instead of Race 2 last night :spank:

Go Mr Rea - so glad I have him.

Now, when should I P155 that bloody R L Hayden off....... He's really getting to me now :angry:

As for Haga - he's nothing now with Mr Tardozie (spelling soooo wrong.....). You can't compare him to the gentleman Abe, RIP.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also wondering if Nori is having trouble now that Bayliss is gone and he has to find his own settings. Haga is an amazing rider, but it's all gone to crap since Bayliss and Tardozzi have gone.

The brits are doing really well... Rea, Toseland, Camier.. All on different bikes too... Good to see.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BMW would likely shoot anyone from Ducati that came anywhere near him...lmao. They've got it "going on" now, I'm sure Mr T has a lot to do with that.

Agreed, David Tardozze is very good, and the BMW looks to be very close to full race distance competitive! Would love to see Troy win a race soon! And i dont think it's that far off!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The brits are doing really well... Rea, Toseland, Camier.. All on different bikes too... Good to see.

Don't forget a certain L. Haslam, Esq.

The racing yesterday was fabulous, that second race was just madness. That one overtaking move when Camier passed Toseland then JT took him straight back was insane!

Camier's crash looked worse that it was, he basically fell over then the bike went flying although he was lucky not to get nailed by it!

My man of the day was Troy Corser, he rode his eyes out on the Beemer and came away with nothing, unlike in Superstock where BMW has a 100% record this season! :cheer:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't mean to forget Haslam there. I'd only seen race 1 when I posted that.
He got his brake issues fixed between races, and straight away, he's back up there.

Feel sorry for camier, was breaking away from toseland before his mishap... Just pushing a bit too hard and ran wide.

I'll put money on the BMW being on the podium next race. They've got it sorted pretty well now.
That race 2 was awesome. Not often you see that many bikes that close at the top for so much of the race... Great viewing.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree, Davide is Ducati. So is Bayliss, both their abilities and reputations leave a long shadow over the team.

BMW will (already are) go places with Tardozzi standing in their corner.

Anyway, happy that Johnny got a double. When I was @ PI for the opening round, even though he didn't get the results, you could see that this guy is a super talent.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget a certain L. Haslam, Esq.

The racing yesterday was fabulous, that second race was just madness. That one overtaking move when Camier passed Toseland then JT took him straight back was insane!

Camier's crash looked worse that it was, he basically fell over then the bike went flying although he was lucky not to get nailed by it!

My man of the day was Troy Corser, he rode his eyes out on the Beemer and came away with nothing, unlike in Superstock where BMW has a 100% record this season! :cheer:

+1 on the Corser comments...i reckon he has been "riding his eyes out" for a while now...but is just starting to get the rewards now...

The overtaking sequence you are talking about, had me off the lounge chair, and i nearly spilled my beer! Kudos to all of them for racing so hard, and no-one getting taken out!!!

I reckon the Supers are going to supply us all with some fantastic close racing this year...there seems to be lots of guys who can run at the front...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting article about WSBK

World Superbike Favoring Four Cylinders Over Two?

If you take a look through our coverage of World Superbike’s stop in Assen this weekend, you’ll notice a trend in the standings on how riders finished in relation to what type of equipment they ran in the race. The trend seems to suggest an advantage for the inline-four cylinder bikes, and didn’t go unnoticed by Carlos Checa, who found himself struggling to compete with the four cylindered machines this weekend on his twin cylindered Ducati.

As one of the privateer Ducati’s on the grid, Checa and the Althea Ducati team believe the current WSBK rules hinder the twins in being competitive with the focus in both acceleration and top speed.

Echoing the belief that twins in WSBK (basically the privateer Ducatis), are not evenly paired with the inline/V fours of the Japanese and Europeans, Checa said that “unfortunately there was an obvious difference in acceleration between us and the four cylinders and we weren’t 100% there with regard to the rideability of the bike,” explained the rider after the conclusion of Race 2 at Assen. “Anyway the overall balance was not bad when you look at my results. We have a good package but we are lacking acceleration and speed compared to the four cylinders. I couldn’t do more than I did but I’m still fourth in the standings, in what will be a long championship.”

That’s a fairly modest description, but Althea Ducati boss Genesio Bevilacqua took things further though and saying that “today we saw the difference in speed between us and the four cylinders. I believe that with the current regulations it is almost impossible to do more with regard to acceleration and, above all, with regard to top speed. The rules penalise the twins.”

The data would seem to support Althea Ducati in some respects, as the top speeds from Assen show a strong skewing of four cylinder machines on the maximum speed listings. This theory of course is partially debunked by the factory Ducatis, which rank 3rd and 4th in the top speeds seen at Assen, and let us also not forget Althea Ducati’s win at the WSBK season opener at Phillip Island.

While the common wisdom has been that twins exchange top-end horsepower for tractability and low-end torque, the races to-date may suggest that this trade-off is an even bet, as Ducati’s have been seen running up front on more than one occasion, and top-speed is not an end-all predictor of race outcomes.

With evidence supporting both sides of the argument as to who has the upper hand (let’s not forget who finished 2nd and 3rd in last year’s World Superbike Championship), this debate would seem to close for A&R to call. So we’ll leave further debate for the comments section below. Have at it.

Top Recorded Speeds from World Superbike at Assen, Netherlands:

1. 289 km/h - Max Biaggi (Aprilia), Sylvain Guintoli (Suzuki).
2. 288 km/h – Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha)
3. 286 km/h – Jonathan Rea (Honda), Leon Haslam (Suzuki), Leon Camier (Aprilia), Michel Fabrizio (Ducati), James Toseland (Yamaha),
4. 285 km/h - Troy Corser (BMW), Noriyuki Haga (Ducati)
5. 284 km/h – Tom Sykes (Kawasaki), Max Neukirchner (Honda)
6. 282 km/h – Jakub Smrz (Ducati), Shane Byrne (Ducati), Lorenzo Lanzi (Ducati), Chris Vermeulen (Kawasaki)
7. 281 km/h - Carlos Checa (Ducati)
8. 279 km/h - Ruben Xaus (BMW), Broc Parkes (Honda)
9. 278 km/h – Luca Scassa (Ducati)
10. 275 km/h – Matteo Baiocco (Kawasaki)
11. 273 km/h – Roger Lee Hayden (Kawasaki)