Interesting lap times chart from Qatar Moto GP!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well we all know that Casey Stoner threw away what looked like a possible win, whilst in front by a healthy margin...

He was half a second faster than anyone else was on the track for the whole race, on the lap before he binned it!

http://resources.motogp.com/files/results/xx/2010/QAT/MotoGP/RAC/FastLapRider.pdf?v1_4e516753

Maybe Casey should of taken it a little bit easier!

Is also interesting to note that even though Rossi won the race, he was third fastest in outright best lap time....consistency wins the day!

And for those that think Spies wont get a podium this year...he was 4th fastest...

:thumbup:

:(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For us metic challenged Americans, 329.1 kph is 204.4 mph! Good lord!

Looks like our man Spies is making it up on braking and carry speed through the corners. Imagine if I can pick up the extra speed?

Nice to see Nicky is the "fastest" during the race.

Thanks for the data Jamie, very cool.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
MotoGP: Qatar Shows All Bets Are Off for 2010

MotoGP action is finally back and the 2010 season was underway at Qatar this weekend. With three-time Qatar GP winner Casey Stoner sitting on the pole position, and all eyes were on the Australian for a fourpeat. But with the Fiat-Yamaha contingency on front row with Stoner, the Ducati was sure to have some competition. Stoner would find pressure from all corners though, as riders from the second and third row would shine under the Losail circuit lights during this season opener.

Written off before the race started Dani Pedrosa silenced the HRC hate club with another rocket start from the grid. The Spanish rider, who has been struggling with HRC’s switch from Showa suspension to Öhlins units, blasted from the third row to take an early lead in the race. Following Pedrosa to the front of the pack was Nicky Hayden who had a tremendous race, and also proved to nay-sayers that he deserves his factory Ducati ride. While Pedrosa back-pedaled through the riders towards the end of the race, Hayden would take home a disappointing 4th place, after watching Andrea Dovizioso sneak an at-the-finish-line pass.

“I did a masterpiece in the last corner of the last lap where I overtook Nicky on the inside and then I used all the power of the RC212V to get to the line first. Tonight I raced with my heart, and this result is a good motivation for myself and everyone in the Repsol Honda Team,” the ever-modest Dovizioso told reporters.

All three of these riders had phenomenal race, but the real talk was Casey Stoner who lost the front-end of his Desmosedici on the 5th lap. At the time of the crash, Stoner was under no pressure and lapping nearly a second quicker than the field. “The bike closed up at the front a few times but I had managed to control it, so I tried to make the turns more open. However, in the sixth lap, when I lost the front there was absolutely nothing I could do to control it. It was a big mistake, a stupid one,” said Stoner.

Stoner’s crash practically handed Rossi the race win, although the Italian did find pressure from Nicky Hayden and Dovi. Toying with the pair of riders, Rossi would let them get within striking range (Dovi even showing Rossi a wheel on the front straight), and the dial-up the reserves and break away again, leaving the Ducati and Honda to be eaten up by Rossi’s teammate Jorge Lorenzo. Able to squeak by the pair, Lorenzo made his way into second place, making for another famous Fiat-Yamaha 1-2.

Although only finishing in 5th place, Ben Spies was also the talk of the paddock. The rookie rider showed that he not only had what it takes to ride with the best in the world, but also showed promise that has us believing a podium from the American is a sure-fire guarantee. Honorable mentions also go to Randy de Puniet, the second quickest Honda in the race (Dani Pedrosa finished 7th for the day).

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon this one is even more interesting, the event top speeds...a few surprises amongst this lot!

http://resources.motogp.com/files/results/xx/2010/QAT/MotoGP/EventMaximumSpeed.pdf?v1_26e12ad9

Check out where Rossi is!!! :eek:

I saw that after the race.

And yet, he still won.

What a champion! :D

Wavex, as for Rossi letting them catch up a little then breaking away, seems to be his trademark. In years gone by he would do it all the time then blast the rest of the pack away. Can't quite blast away like he used to nowadays, but still great to see.

I was at Phillip Island when he got a ride through penalty in the pits - ended up winning the race - the guy is AWESOME! :D

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw that after the race.

And yet, he still won.

What a champion! :D

Wavex, as for Rossi letting them catch up a little then breaking away, seems to be his trademark. In years gone by he would do it all the time then blast the rest of the pack away. Can't quite blast away like he used to nowadays, but still great to see.

I was at Phillip Island when he got a ride through penalty in the pits - ended up winning the race - the guy is AWESOME! :D

Ok, if Valentino is awesome, Ben Spies aint far behind him, and his bike was slowest! Now i bet that Ben's bike aint quite as high spec re suspension, engine management, etc, so i bet it is not as good through corners as Rossi's mega top of the line factory bike.

So i reckon Ben Spies achievement is just as awesome.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Is also interesting to note that even though Rossi won the race, he was third fastest in outright best lap time....consistency wins the day!:(

not only consistancy but "race craft" or whatever you want to call it. Stoner might be faster around the track but Valentino is a superior motorcycle racer. There's just no doubt about it.

Oh yeah, Stoner is also a little twirp :Flip:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not only consistancy but "race craft" or whatever you want to call it. Stoner might be faster around the track but Valentino is a superior motorcycle racer. There's just no doubt about it.

Yay, someone agrees with me. :cheer:

I was starting to feel a little outnumbered - I don't think ANY of the Aussies barrack for Rossi :(

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Lol...and Rossi is not a little Twirp! He is the king of little Twirps! :Flip:, oh maybe Max Biaggi is a bigger twirp than all of them put together...or that's what Rossi, and his media circus would have us believe anyway!!!

But your right, Rossi is by far the more experienced racer, with superior race craft! And so he should be superior, he has been around a long time now..

But Casey is quicker IMHO, but has yet to find total consistency...

The win rate in 800cc Moto GP is Rossi & Stoner, 19 wins a piece, with day light third!

Rossi is also the better championship builder as well, if that is the case....

History will tell if Stoner can be more than half the Racer Rossi is, but for now, he is the only one that really has the pace to go with Rossi...as evidenced by the fact that he has won the same amount of Races as Rossi in the 800cc era, and no-one else gets a look in...

For someone other than Rossi, or Stoner to win the title this year, they have to start winning lots more races now! Lorenzo looks the most likely to step up...again, but only if he can get around the clever mind games that Rossi will employ on him, as he always does...

Yes Rossi is the complete racer...race craft, fast, does not crash often, is made of rubber (always bounces), knows how to build a championship season, works the press brilliantly to his advantage, uses his influence to get what he wants, best crew chief, best pit crew, unrivalled factory support...

It's a hard package to beat!

If anyone does beat him this season for the championship, or any other season, they deserve lots of credit, cause it will never be easy...

So Kudos to currently racing Moto GP World Championship winners, Nicky Hayden, and Casey Stoner...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site