Wheelie...

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I pulled my first wheelie today. Scared the hell out of me... (wasn,t expecting it) First gear twisted the throttle quite agressively after 8000rpm and the wheel came up...waayyy up... I chopped the thottle and she came back down hard... Has anyone done this or perfected it?..

Dennis

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a few, but like you, about the time the front tire starts going skyword I lose my nerve and ease off on the throttle. I feel like the back tire is going to out run my throttle inputs. Maybe I'm too chicken s**t to ride it out.

W

wrightme43

Not on purpose either. I think we all have a little squid inside. LOL

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I have to admit I was squid'n around yesterday and played around with the RPM in first to see what worked best to get up on one that didn't scare the hell out of me and here's what seemed to work best. I rolled up to 9,000 RPM in a smooth, progressively quick throttle input,(9,000 may seem high but it puts the bike in its powerband)dumped the throttle off and quickly but smoothly back on( I do not wack the throttle open or yank up on the handlebars). Every time I did this the front tire would lift with ease and was very progressive with the throttle inputs. I felt comfortable and was able to control the hight with the throttle inputs( very light inputs). I coverd the rear break just in case I gave it too much throttle but I never had to use it. The wheelies rode out very nicely and I had enough throttle left to set the front down softly. I was vary supprised how easy this method worked. Let me say that I'm not telling anybody to do wheelies. Wheelies are dangerous and should only be done in a controlled environment, not on public roads.( But they are cool and fun to do.):D

S

sportrider

1st gear wheelies are easy,I don't do it much but, if I'm in the mood the 8000 rpm throttle up will bring it up, to control it all you have to do is slightly back off the throttle at the height you want it will stop raising there then you can run out the gear, if I carry it into 2nd gear I usually shift without the clutch so it just carries, not raises anymore. it works in second gear also but it requires alittle more preloading on the forks. only have done it twice in second gear, not that comfortable pulling a wheelie at 70+ mph.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting better at it but I have to admit it still scares me when it get in the balancing zone and it starts coming up a little quicker than I expect. I haven't tried for second yet, I want to get more consistent in first before I give it a try. I wish I could find a place to practice like an old industrial park back lot. I don't like doing them on the road, for one thing most of my back roads are pretty crappy and not too many flat, straight areas to make good passes on. Too many cars also. The highway is nice, flat and straight but it's heavily patroled by "The Man". Almost every time I even think about poping up on one here comes "Smokey" down the road, eyeballing me the whole way. Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems like that. I also wish I had a buddy to squid around with so I'd have someone to watch my back if....when I go down. There are some guys who ride local but I think these boys have a death wish. They think they are the local stunt team. They wear mohawks on their helmets and all of their bikes look like patch work quilts from all the replacement parts they have had to install. The biggest thing about them is they have made the cops around here super crabby with anyboby who's bike even looks like it could lift a wheel. That's another thing, I use this bike as my daily transportation and I don't want to smash the hell out of if or myself for that matter but I love to wheelie and want to get better at it. I'm starting to sound like a whiney little girl os I'll stop.:p

S

sportrider

don't get me wrong I'm no wheelie rider by any means, but I do love when I get power wheelies, when I was playing around in 2nd the second wheelie I pulled kinda scared the crap outta me, because when I set it down I had to be going almost 90 the front tire barked when it hit the street, then I thought to myself "man I'm being totally stupid" but it was kinda cool to ride a wheelie that far:D

J

juangomez

not for me

I just bought an FZ6 on Thursday, 31st of May, and while there the dealer mentioned how they just had a ride for one of the mechanics that died pulling a wheelie. The guy was 26 years old.

I'm too much of a puss to try it. I prefer to just enjoy the ride.

Juan

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Your not a puss, you just have more sense than some of us.LOL:p I don't do them all the time but every now and then it get the urge. I think to myself" I have a wife and two kids and this is stupid..........Alright, lets do it!" It's just something I have wanted to do since I was a kid but never had a bike that was apt to do them.:D

F

Fred Zeppelin

It's not dumb or irresponsible to do wheelies. Why does everyone always act that way. They are a risk. I do them all the time.

The thing that orginally stopped me from doing wheelies is that I felt it was hard on my bike. I practiced slowly, and now I am so proficient at them, I can bounce them up in second very gently, power them up to balence, and lower them down so gently the wheel just kisses the pavement. I never clutch, or chop the gas. It takes only body movement, and smooth application of gas, even on our heavy 600's. And heck, my bike is DUMPED on r6 forks.

They are something that take a lot of practice. So yeah, I guess they are VERY dangerous for inexperienced riders.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Theres a video on how to do them on my home computer...I've seen the same video on youtube. Its very simple, and down to Earth.

I did my first few ones just being aggressive and unplanned but once I did it on a turn and it scared me, and before that it came up too fast, and scared me. Now, when I"m accelerating hard, I lean forward, but I'd rather be doing wheelies :eek:

just takes practice...its as simple as throttle control, even if you clutch it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st gear wheelies are easy,I don't do it much but, if I'm in the mood the 8000 rpm throttle up will bring it up, to control it all you have to do is slightly back off the throttle at the height you want it will stop raising there then you can run out the gear, if I carry it into 2nd gear I usually shift without the clutch so it just carries, not raises anymore. it works in second gear also but it requires alittle more preloading on the forks. only have done it twice in second gear, not that comfortable pulling a wheelie at 70+ mph.
Ok will give this a bash, First off where can I purchase some bottle. secondly am I supposed to just shut the throttle dead at 9000 and then just snap it open full tilt? Its just I work in ER and don't want the girls to see me underpants if I end up over cooking it. LOL

S

sportrider

all I'm looking for is a little preload on the forks, I chop the throttle for a nanosecond then its WOT! you can get a feel for this by trying it at lower RPMs, around 5-6000 it comes up but nowhere near as fast or high. also thats using no body english, I'm talking about a sit down wheelie. if I'm standing or help it up, it comes up easier. but I haven't really played with it much that way.

:Sport:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok will give this a bash, First off where can I purchase some bottle. secondly am I supposed to just shut the throttle dead at 9000 and then just snap it open full tilt? Its just I work in ER and don't want the girls to see me underpants if I end up over cooking it. LOL

+1 on what sportrider fz6 said. Also, be prepared to have the sh** sacred out of you the first time the wheel starts to come up higher than you expect. The first thing your going to do is chop the throttle and come down hard so be ready for that too. Take you time and don't go for too much, too soon. Mentally prepare yourself before each attempt and stay calm. Wheelies are something that you have to practice and it can take a while to get them consistent so don't expect to be "Evil Kanivel"( I don't know if that's spelled right.) any time soon. Also, you'll probably smash your "Jewels" a few times while your practicing so be ready for that too. Good luck and uh..... be safe?:D

Oh yeah, I don't think I'd use the word "bash" when I'm talking about attempting a wheelie. LOL

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what sportrider fz6 said. Also, be prepared to have the sh** sacred out of you the first time the wheel starts to come up higher than you expect. The first thing your going to do is chop the throttle and come down hard so be ready for that too. Take you time and don't go for too much, too soon. Mentally prepare yourself before each attempt and stay calm. Wheelies are something that you have to practice and it can take a while to get them consistent so don't expect to be "Evil Kanivel"( I don't know if that's spelled right.) any time soon. Also, you'll probably smash your "Jewels" a few times while your practicing so be ready for that too. Good luck and uh..... be safe?:D

Oh yeah, I don't think I'd use the word "bash" when I'm talking about attempting a wheelie. LOL
Jewels proteted, good tip. "Bash" just means give it a go. Good luck old boy.