Scorpion Can Leak-Seam Fix

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an exhaust leak from my new Scorpion Cans. I sealed all the clamped areas with hi-temp sealant but noticed that I was getting some backfiring on occasion. I put a thread out on the board asking for an answer to the problem.
I noticed that the actual seams of the cans were letting exhaust escape contributing to the leak and asked if anyone else had that same problem. REO Scorpio hooked me up with the answer that I needed, he contacted Scorpion because he had the same issue and told me that after 1000 miles, Scorpion said there would be enough carbon buildup to seal the inside of the seams to seal the cans.
I wasn't going to wait 1000 miles to have them seal themselves, but it is nice to know that is going to happen, THANKS AGAIN REO!!! I'm a little impatient and thought of a reversible idea that sealed them that I could easily remove after I have logged the miles to have enough carbon buildup inside the cans to have them seal themselves.

This is what you need to seal the seams if you have the same problem:
1. Rubber bicycle innertube
2. Two 5" screw type hose clamps

1. I cut the innertube into two 15" length by 1" wide pieces.
2. I used 1 piece for each can to wrap the riveted area and seam and let about 1/4" overlap over the end of the can.
3. I pulled the innertube tightly to stretch it causing it to really seal the rivets and hug the seam, it circle the can about 3 times.
4. I put on the 5" hose clamp and tightened it down.
5. Zero exhaust leaks, the rubber isn't effected by the heat even after a 1 hour ride, and easily reversible, here is what it looks like at completion.
:rockon:

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to say that even though the clamps show up don't look great in the undercarriage and closeup pictures, you can barely see the rubber and clamps at normal eye level.:rockon:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seek,

that's a very intuitive fix, much easier to undo than the permatex. Doesn't look bad Either as a temp solution. Let me know how it goes.

Saw another person with the same problem on spirtbikes, said his sealed as well. Seems to be more and more common. Where did u order yours from? Hopefully, doesn't take 1k for you. :)

scorp

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Seek,

that's a very intuitive fix, much easier to undo than the permatex. Doesn't look bad Either as a temp solution. Let me know how it goes.

Saw another person with the same problem on spirtbikes, said his sealed as well. Seems to be more and more common. Where did u order yours from? Hopefully, doesn't take 1k for you. :)

scorp
Scorp,

The seam fix works excellent and now I REALLY love my Scorpion Cans.

The extra loud popping noises were coming from seam exhaust leaks and once I got the info from you and fixed it, now they really sound great.

I recommend this fix to anyone having this problem with any can, it will make a huge difference.

jy116

Reaction score
Visit site
any clips of the backfire sound? I thought a backfire was caused by unburned fuel getting past the exhause valves? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk]YouTube - London Bikers Shooting Pedestrians (Exhaust Backfires)[/ame]

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha ha... see him clip the parked car at 1:30 ? Funny, especially the ticked off girl but I can understand why the were upset I guess.

Last edited: