bt016 life

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had the bridgestone bt016's for a bout a year now, and I've put almost 9,000 miles on them. Great up until recently, when the front tire started losing air. Slowly at first, I'd have to fill it maybe once every two weeks, (it would drop 8-10 psi) and now I filled it up yesterday to 33psi when I was out of town, and rode back into town (about 70 miles) and checked it this morning after sittin in the garage for the night, and its at 20 psi. SO this is obviously bad, and my questions is this: Is there a way to fix a small leak like this, or should I go ahead and order a new set of tires?? I need to figure something out quick as this is my only vehicle, and I've heard with sport bike tires you can't plug a leak. Thanks in advance!

Also, I've seen reviews for this tire and no one had any input as to rain riding, and I can say from riding in the rain all the time that I've never once had a problem with these tires. =)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I've seen reviews for this tire and no one had any input as to rain riding, and I can say from riding in the rain all the time that I've never once had a problem with these tires. =)

Definately sounds like you have a slow leak. Whether to plug or not to plug is a heated debate, but from all of the posts that I have read about plugs, I don't think there ever was a post written about a tire failure due to a plug. And it seems like plugging tires is a practice that is done more in Europe than in the states. Maybe because of the cost of replacing a tire is so much.

As far as the rain, stick with those tires if you like their performonce in the rain. NOthing better than having confidence in your tires.

mabberley

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a plug in my rear of my FZ6 from the PO. Seems to be holding up very well. I would be happy to get 9K miles out of a set of tires. Sounds like it's about time to change them. I am trying Dunlop road smarts on my Z1K and really like the dual compound so far.

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Well they still have great tread, so I was hesitant to order a new pair although that might be the best way. Although that way is a little more cost heavy than I'm prepared for. How would I go about plugging a leak ( assuming I can find it and that's what it is, I haven't tried the soapy water test yet). ??

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Soapy water is the best way to find out where the leak is.... I am much more likely to replace a front tire that is leaking, than a back tire.... it all depends on where the plug would be. Losing a rear tire at speed, is in my view much less dramatic than having a front go flat. Either one is no fun.... but the loss of the front can be a real heart in the teeth kind of thing. 9K on a front is not too bad at all.

I'd suggest counting your blessings, and replacing the tire.....

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get 9,000 miles out of the Bt-016........ ????? Thats awesome milage