Tail Bag Review

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I posted this on a different thread already but thought it might be better suited to this section.

I have a Saddlemen TS3200 soft tail bag for my FZ6. I paid about 85 bucks for it with free shipping.

Pluses +
It wraps over the passenger seat so you have deeper side pockets like saddlebags. And exterior zip pockets for misc. stuff. It's great for a carrying a TON of stuff. Like for a long weekend trip. I can even fit an LL Bean 2 person dome tent in it along with other gear.
It's very stable on the bike provided you paid attention to the connections you devise (tightness, connection points, and some common sense). You forget it's there.
Plus it's also a duffle bag with a top handle and shoulder strap. You just unsnap it from the bike and leave the attachment straps in place. So you take it inside with you wherever you're staying...like your luggage. No security issues. I love it for the price.

Minuses-
The attachment straps make it universal BUT you need to get creative and try several hookups. I'm still trying new ways to attach it.
The nylon straps may rub the paint over time. It hasn't happened to me yet and I have 3 long trips with it so far.
Because of the top zipper it's not going to be very waterproof but a garbage bag as a liner solves that. I also sprayed it with a tent sealer. Several coats.
The reviews I read before purchasing warned of over tightening the snap hooks. Apparently they may break. No problem there for me as I try to careful about that.
So far I would recommend this bag for those who don't want to have to add rails or a hard shell carrier.

Adirondack Jack

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted this on a different thread already but thought it might be better suited to this section.

I have a Saddlemen TS3200 soft tail bag for my FZ6. I paid about 85 bucks for it with free shipping.

Pluses +
It wraps over the passenger seat so you have deeper side pockets like saddlebags. And exterior zip pockets for misc. stuff. It's great for a carrying a TON of stuff. Like for a long weekend trip. I can even fit an LL Bean 2 person dome tent in it along with other gear.
It's very stable on the bike provided you paid attention to the connections you devise (tightness, connection points, and some common sense). You forget it's there.
Plus it's also a duffle bag with a top handle and shoulder strap. You just unsnap it from the bike and leave the attachment straps in place. So you take it inside with you wherever you're staying...like your luggage. No security issues. I love it for the price.

Minuses-
The attachment straps make it universal BUT you need to get creative and try several hookups. I'm still trying new ways to attach it.
The nylon straps may rub the paint over time. It hasn't happened to me yet and I have 3 long trips with it so far.
Because of the top zipper it's not going to be very waterproof but a garbage bag as a liner solves that. I also sprayed it with a tent sealer. Several coats.
The reviews I read before purchasing warned of over tightening the snap hooks. Apparently they may break. No problem there for me as I try to careful about that.
So far I would recommend this bag for those who don't want to have to add rails or a hard shell carrier.

Updating this post as I just realized that I never did upload any pics of the tail bag on the bike as requested. Finally getting a weekend away although it won't be a long ride. 400 miles or so RT. Just me and the FZ. In the tail bag as pictured is my 2 man tent, sleeping bag, clothes for the weekend (traveling light in that dept.), and various necessities. I could expand it and probably leave the tank bag home.
In the tank bag is extra footwear, rain gear, GPS ,and my tiny laptop. With all this the FZ handles like a champ. Not really noticeable except a bit cramped in the seat space.

Adirondack Jack

Reaction score
Visit site
that is a lot of storage for $85!

that tank bag is huge too!

I've had the tail bag a while but it was a good deal when I bought it, I thought. I think they may even be cheaper right now.
The tank bag was a hand-me down from a buddy. You're right. It holds a lot of stuff and rides nicely. It's an older bag that was made by Roadgear but still available as "The Jumbo".