How To: Mount Bar End Weights on aftermarket aluminum handlebars

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A little while ago I posted my completed aftermarket handlebar setup here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18575-renthal-handlebar-hvmp-bar-ends-oury-grips.html

but I did not include pictures of the hardware I used to mount up HVMP bar ends weights (made for Suzuki sport bikes).

I was at the same Ace Hardware store today, so I snapped a pic of the whole setup and wrote down part numbers, in case someone wants to use the same approach.

This setup will work with Renthal bars (13mm internal diameter) and it should work with aluminum bars with 12mm internal diameter, though it might be a tight fit.

Here is the list of parts with AceHardware item numbers:

3328-K: 1/4" x 20 x 1 Expanding nut (quantity of 4)
3217-H: 1/4" x 20 x 4 Alan head bolt (quantity of 2)
58039-F: Plastic spacer. 1/2" external diameter. .257" internal diameter (quantity of 2)

Take a look at the pic.
Blue arrow points to the flange which needs to be cut away on the expanding nut which will sit the end of the bolt (it has to go all the way inside the bar).
Red arrow points to the end of expanding nut which will be mounted up against the bar end. This end has to be cut away. It has an embeded nut on the end which needs to be removed so the bolt can be pushed all the way through it. You want to cut away 1/4" off the end (this will get rid of the nut).

I also used a locking washer which came with HVMP bar end on the outside (between the bolt head and the bar end itself).
Don't forget a little blue loctite to prevent the whole thing from loosening up from vibration.
The end :D

19950d1248454534-how-mount-bar-end-weights-aftermarket-aluminum-handlebars-barendmounthardware.jpg

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers. I'm interested in alternate ways to do it. How does the nut work? It just looks like a plastic tube to me! :spank: :confused:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers. I'm interested in alternate ways to do it. How does the nut work? It just looks like a plastic tube to me! :spank: :confused:

The white part in the picture is the plastic washer (tube), but the 2 black expansion nuts in the picture are made from hard rubber. As you screw in the bolt, the rubber expands :)
It's very easy to put together if you can get your hands on those parts.