I filled my tires with Nitrogen

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I went over to Costco's and had them bleed my air out of my tires and had them fill them up with Nitrogen.

Nitrogen will help my tire pressure to remain constant, especially in this extreme heat where the asphault can reach over 130 degrees. I have not noticed any difference in my ride.

Oh, it was free too!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nitrogen in car tires, Nitrogen in bike tires, Nitrogen enriched gasoline, next it will be Nitrogen enriched preparation H...:eek: "Nitrogen" the new air...j/k

Seriously, advise if you find it does help keep steady pressures, it is just starting to catch on up our way.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
ohh so now when u check your pressure and it is low
you cant add air to them u need to add nitrogen..

great idea when you are out bush and need air...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've got tanks of argon, acetylene and oxygen in my garage.

Argon's an inert gas. I filled the tires with it and they wouldn't move.

Filling the tires with Oxygen made them watch reality TV shows all day long.

Then I tried acetylene, and for some reason they exploded.

Lastly I bought new tires and filled them with helium that I stole from a clown. The clown's body is in a shallow grave, and my bike was last seen causing a navigation hazard at 20,000 feet over Austin Bergstrom International Airport.

The bad news is that I don't have a bike anymore.

The good news is that there's one less clown in the world.

Fred

mbramlett

Crazy MOFO
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not you can add oxygen to a tire with nitrogen in it if your in a pinch?

And by oxygen I mean air.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I run my car tires on Nitrogen. Problem on the bike would be that I do 2 up riding as well as solo and constantly change tire pressure based on these weight changes. You cant easily do that with Nitrogen...

Lightndattic

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what gets me every time I hear someone say they put Nitrogen in their tires. Does the 15-20% more nitrogen than air REALLY make that much of a difference?

According to Getnitrogen.org's FAQ-
They say it leaks less than air, but still recommend checking pressure just as often. Is it really that much more difficult to add more air to a tire as needed? I have a 12v compressor in my car and will have one on the bike once I get the cig lighter wired in. Using that, it takes less that 5 minutes to check and inflate all 4 tires from 25psi to 35psi. I might have to do that 4 times a year.

They say it reduces oxidation of the inside of the tire, but have any of you had tires on a car long enough to oxidize from the inside out before wearing the tread off?

They say it reduces water vapor so the steel belts and other structural devices in the tire do not rust or degrade, but again, have any of you had this happen before wearing off the tire's tread?

They say nitrogen is inert while air supports combustion. Has anyone seen a car fire rapidly intensify when a tire bursts? Less than a second after bursting, the pressure of a tire is dispersed into the surrounding air.

All that being said, If you want to do it, more power to you.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I filled my tyres up with crystal meth, no difference in performance but two weeks later they tried to rob a liquor store and were shot by the police.

Annoying, as they had lots of tread left.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I filled my tyres up with crystal meth, no difference in performance but two weeks later they tried to rob a liquor store and were shot by the police.

That's Hillarious!!! :rockon: :rof::rof::rof:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Gold! :rockon::rockon::rockon: LMAO!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not you can add oxygen to a tire with nitrogen in it if your in a pinch?

And by oxygen I mean air.

Yes, you can add oxygen to a tire after it has had nitrogen in it. Bring the vehicle back to where you filled it with nitrogen and they ought to drain and refill it for free.

"Topping off nitrogen filled tires with compressed air is no problem. We recommend that you use nitrogen in your tires whenever possible, but if you run into a situation where you can’t get it, no problem. Go ahead and “top-off” your tires with air. Later, you can return to your dealer to have your tires purged of the air and refilled with nitrogen."

Here is a very informative website (American, and Canadian versions available) about the benefits of Nitrogen, who uses it, etc.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

To summarize:

1. Any vehicle tire can use it
2. You can add air to 'top-up' if required.
3. Increased fuel economy (less rolling resistance)
4. Increased tread life (less rolling resistance - tire loses less psi)
5. Decresed wheel / belt wear = increased tire life
6. Inflammable - does not add oxygen... (a burning tire is difficult to put out)
7. and lastly, you get cool little green valve covers (lol)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nitrogen will help my tire pressure to remain constant, especially in this extreme heat where the asphault can reach over 130 degrees. I have not noticed any difference in my ride.

Oh, it was free too!
Glad it was free, as my college chemistry and engineering degrees are calling "BS"! Sorry! :rolleyes:

ALL gases expand upon heating, and since air is (as someone else has already pointed out) 70% Nitrogen anyway, there's not going to be a discernible difference, if any at all.
Preventing corrosion of the steel belts??? Maybe, but again as someone pointed out, who here has had rusted belt problems yet?

And if you're in a violent-enough crash for your tires to catch fire, I'll be willing to bet they'll be the last thing on your mind...

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you can add oxygen to a tire after it has had nitrogen in it. Bring the vehicle back to where you filled it with nitrogen and they ought to drain and refill it for free.

"Topping off nitrogen filled tires with compressed air is no problem. We recommend that you use nitrogen in your tires whenever possible, but if you run into a situation where you can’t get it, no problem. Go ahead and “top-off” your tires with air. Later, you can return to your dealer to have your tires purged of the air and refilled with nitrogen."

Here is a very informative website (American, and Canadian versions available) about the benefits of Nitrogen, who uses it, etc.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

To summarize:

1. Any vehicle tire can use it
2. You can add air to 'top-up' if required.
3. Increased fuel economy (less rolling resistance)
4. Increased tread life (less rolling resistance - tire loses less psi)
5. Decresed wheel / belt wear = increased tire life
6. Inflammable - does not add oxygen... (a burning tire is difficult to put out)
7. and lastly, you get cool little green valve covers (lol)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Great Post...Thanks, I'll check the link!:thumbup: