Long way down

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is anyone else following the BBC series the "long way down". Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman travelling from John 'O Groats (Scotland) to Cape Town , (South Africa) on motorbikes. I figure this only really counts for people in the UK or with Satelite (who can pick up BBC). I don't think they will be showing it on the other side of the pond.
I do get BBC on digital so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Anyway I think it's pretty cool, just get on your bike and ride.

Here's the link:
BBC - Long Way Down - Home

W

wrightme43

Nope we get shows about Chop Chop Chop Chop Choppers I gotz a choppeah, and Stuntaz.

We do get Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe which is the best show ever.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Longway Down is a top show, I have the Longway Round on DVD. This is the reason BMW sell so many bikes in the UK.

...and Top Gear (an irreverent car program) before, great stuff.

This is why we pay for the BBC, that and the BBC web site.

B

Bo67

I'm with you on Dirty Jobs. Definitely wouldn't mind having a beer with Mike Rowe.

My wife watches BBC America a lot but I haven't seen the show you are referring to. It sounds pretty interesting. I miss "Absolutely Fabulous" when it was on the BBC...that show was hilarious!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Longway Down is a top show, I have the Longway Round on DVD. This is the reason BMW sell so many bikes in the UK.

Oh yeah I forgot about those license fees that keeps the website running, well thanks for paying for me ;)

W

wrightme43

I'm with you on Dirty Jobs. Definitely wouldn't mind having a beer with Mike Rowe.

My wife watches BBC America a lot but I haven't seen the show you are referring to. It sounds pretty interesting. I miss "Absolutely Fabulous" when it was on the BBC...that show was hilarious!

Mike Rowe is the man.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site

Apparently, the KTM adventurer stylee bikes were the first choice option for 'The Long Way Round' but for some perverse reason KTM decided not to sponsor the trip. Having seen what it's done for BMW sales, I'm guessing someone in KTM marketing has had their arse kicked! :D

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I remember from the first series they tried and tried with KTM because Charlie fatface thought they would be the best and coolest offroad bikes but KTM just weren't interested. Someone in KTM must have had a can of whupass opened on them by now

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently, the KTM adventurer stylee bikes were the first choice option for 'The Long Way Round' but for some perverse reason KTM decided not to sponsor the trip. Having seen what it's done for BMW sales, I'm guessing someone in KTM marketing has had their arse kicked! :D

Yeah I remember seeing that, they thought that the guys hadn't planned it well enough so they pulled the plug , as you said I think they've been kicking themselves ever since.

Its a shame I can't post films otherwise I would rip that part out of the DVD I have.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished the full ten episodes on DVD last weekend. This documentary gave me some grey hairs!
Wow, what an adventure. Seeing these two (3, actually) try to cross a bog where their bikes tip over every few feet, bury themselves in the mud up to their axles, cross deep rivers, etc was just wearying to watch. Seeing the interior of Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and especially Mongolia (testicle stew, anyone?) was fascinating. It was almost telling that they didn't really have any accidents until Ewan was rear-ended by a Canadian low-rider in a Honda on the Interstate! :eek: This was a great way to spend some time during the poor-riding season. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
How many of you guys got green eyes like myself watching the programs thinking wish that was me :( best of all it was all payed for,the lucky buggers.