To go naked?

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of going naked (either modifying the FZ6 or buying a new bike), but have never been on a naked bike & have a few questions about functionality for my typical use:

Given the limited protection for a taller rider (6'1"), how much different would the naked bike's wind be on me? My daily work commute (most of my miles) is 25mi each way, with 25% on surface streets <40mph, and the balance on a blustery coastal interstate @70+mph.

Also, how much more would the lack of a screen wear me out on occasional 200-250 mi weekend rides?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your input.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The wind resistance is noticeable but not overly harsh. I used to commute just over 100 miles daily when I was in Atlanta and loved every minute of the naked bike feel. I also did a few longer 300 mile trips and it wasn't bad IMO.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
TBH 70mph+ riding without anything other than a full screen is tiring and a pain. Try removing your windscreen and riding without that for a couple of days. It will give you an idea.

speedfrk

Custom Painter
Reaction score
www.nationalsuperbike.com
Pretty much everything I ride is naked (Naked FZ6, SV650, Aprilia Tuono) and I like it that way. Hmmm that almost sounds dirty... Anyways, I'm fine up to about 80mph with no screen. Above that it does get to be a bother. But 99% of my riding is around town and well below my discomfort threshold. But, it is a personal thing- it bothers some people more than others. It also matters how much gear you wear. I wear a jacket, gloves, full face helmet, etc. so that helps.

Yamadog

Reaction score
Visit site
I was too crazy with the fairing - high speeds are soooo smooth! I probably would of ended up in jail or... You really feel the speed when naked - I like the feel and it's almost like putting a governor on the bike. But I mostly ride around town so commuting feels much better/open/agile. Naked! Born that way and like to stay that way.