Just Finished the Basic Rider Course

Roln 106

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was able to find time and an available slot at the MSF Basic Rider Course up at Excalibur Motorsports this past weekend in Plainfield, CT. So you will probably be seeing more of this FZ6 rider and his FZ6 on the road in the near future.

After taking the course I feel a lot better. I would definately recommend the course to any new rider or even someone who hasn't riden in a while or someone who never took the course. The entire course was designed very well, every exercise seemed to build upon the previous one.

The staff is trained well and were very helpful.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
The courses are definitely good. I'm happy to hear you took it. I took the basic about 5 years ago and am now thinking about signing up for the advanced one. Safe riding :thumbup:

fz6rwolf

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I thought Excalibur closed down?

They moved couple years ago to a BIG new building just off of I395? or is it 495, I can't remember these off shoots of I95 to save my life LOL. They got a nice set up except the little drive entrance you can miss easily.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
They moved couple years ago to a BIG new building just off of I395? or is it 495, I can't remember these off shoots of I95 to save my life LOL. They got a nice set up except the little drive entrance you can miss easily.

Yeah, the one off 395 behind the wendy's or whatever it is. I thought that one was closed... I'll have to make a trip up there, thanks for the info!

Roln 106

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't bother making a trip up there for a couple months. The low down which I heard about Excalibur (from the instructors, the course was through Excalibur, so technically the instructors are employed by them) is that Excalibur went through a number of changes recently. One of the owners left the business and another stepped in, in his place. The new owner, however, was under contract from a previous employer, which forbid him from selling another motorcycle in CT for a number of years. Basically, when the new owner took over he went down to a skeleton crew and also skeleton staff. His contract either just ended or is ending soon, so the store will soon get their stock and sales back up. However, supposedly Excalibur owes the state the most in back taxes out of any other business.

I am not too sure of the validity of any of this, but take it for what it is, I just know both their staff and stock is very low as of right now. However, they are doing some type of stunt show, I believe every saturday night.

S

sm00thpapa

I just completed it on Tuesday of this week. It is a great course as I went from never being on a bike in my life to with in 7 hours of training getting my left knee down on tight left turns. I need practice on right turns as I had a problem controlling the throttle roll on coming out of the turn. The instructors are amazing in teaching new riders.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats cool that excaliber is still goign to be around.. i dont make it out to the east side of CT very much (but its very beautiful place to ride) but its always good to know where your local dealers are when you ride.. especially if the bike starts acting up for some reason.. sucks that excaliber isnt up to snuff right now, but in a few months, the'll be A++!!!... hope to see you newb's out on your 6's.. RIDE SAFE!!! :)

SilentDruidFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the fun world of riding! I am an instructor at Subase for the Navy and used to teach for Excalibur/CONREP as well. Just bought an FZ6 this year and also own a 1988 1000F Hurricane. My little toy is a BIG world of difference, but I'm having fun on it too.

When CT starts to run them, I recommend the Sport Bike Course. We have them for military, once my new range gets certified, and the class is fun. More advanced exercises than the ERC, and more fun IMHO.

Keep the rubber side down, shiny side up, and have fun!