Alpinestar MX-5 Waterproof Boots

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Got these a couple weeks ago, moved up from a pair of setup's - they were fine when new but the zippers busted and it did not seem worth it fixing them. The setup's were not bad, they just did not protect as much as i wanted.

But onto the Alpinestars. I want to say I love them, cause i do. But there are some nagging issues that keep them from hitting a perfect homerun.

First and foremost is that on the right side there is what looks like a paint chip missing from the toe area. Looks like a thin plastic coat over the toe guard chipped a bit. In fact, that is what i think happened. Which makes me sad :(
I would not expect an immediate tear in a week old boot, and one that's supposed to be mainly leather. Secondly, and this is really my fault, when I tried them on i tried on the non-waterproof. When i purchased I bought the waterproof version. They are tighter, and I maybe need a 45 waterproof to the 44 non. This is made a little easier by the nice touch of a strecth fabric attached to the zipper, my favorite "extra" after the setup's zipper failure.

So why do I keep them? Because the boots were sitting in Cyclegears closeout rack. They had special ordered this one pair of waterproof MX5's sitting all lonely in the back, and they sold them to me for $150. About $100 less than here:

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Waterproof Boot - Motorcycle Superstore

and less than the best offer i got prior, which was $200. Its crazy but I have found you can haggle in stores, the economy has them willing to find you a deal.

So, do I recommend? Yes, at that price. Its a really nice boot but if you pay the $279 my local dealer tried to smack me for, well than you probably do deserve to be smacked. But for under $200? YES, I been searching for new boots since my Setup's died and these are really, really good.

Final note, the protection is really nice. That's the deal sealer for me. Waterproof, awesome. Breathable with vents for heat, awesome. Full toe, ankle, shin and heel protection..... well, they look pretty sweet too :rockon:

Last edited: