1000 mile trip

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is for the Danish riders.

I am going to do a Iron Butt 1000 mile/ 1600km ride next year.

Is anybody interested in joining in?

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably about June time when it has warmed up a bit and most probably on a Sunday to avoid a lot of the trucks.

The route would be from Haderslev, I am sure I could find some floor space or tent space on Saturday night if you wanted to join in.

The route would be from Haderslev, Denmark - Brandenburg Gate in Berlin - Poznan in Poland - Szczecin in Poland - Haderslev, Denmark.

The more people who ride, the better it would be and they don`t have to be on an FZ6.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Probably about June time when it has warmed up a bit and most probably on a Sunday to avoid a lot of the trucks.

The route would be from Haderslev, I am sure I could find some floor space or tent space on Saturday night if you wanted to join in.

The route would be from Haderslev, Denmark - Brandenburg Gate in Berlin - Poznan in Poland - Szczecin in Poland - Haderslev, Denmark.

The more people who ride, the better it would be and they don`t have to be on an FZ6.

Steve

Well you have now officially got my interest :)

Is the plan to use the Highways, or to try to ovoid them?

I'll pitch this idea to some of my friends, - even though they don't drive FZ6 I think some of them could be up for it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought of Brandenburg Gate in Berlin because I think it would be a good photo opportunity.

Why Poland? I have never been there and I wanted to do more than 2 countries and Poland follows on from Berlin.

A better question would be, why not Poland?

To ride 500 miles down the E45 and back would be boring. A lot of the German autobahns are too busy. To go to Sweden we have to go over 2 expensive bridges and then the highway system runs out.

I rode 1000 miles in a day in 2007 and I think to get the distance in 24 hours you have to concentrate mainly on the highway.
Having said that I have no idea at the moment what the Polish road conditions for tht stretch is, but I can soon find out.

I will be putting this in for the Iron Butts 1000 mile in 24 hours but whoever rides can do the same or not bother it is totally up to them, I will help with the paperwork, when I find out myself what to do.

I am sure I will find some sleeping space for as many want to ride on the Saturday night...I wish i had never said that.

Like I said I don`t care what they ride . We could get together and sort the details out when we have some idea who wants to go.

Who is interested??

Steve

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I thought of Brandenburg Gate in Berlin because I think it would be a good photo opportunity.

Why Poland? I have never been there and I wanted to do more than 2 countries and Poland follows on from Berlin.

A better question would be, why not Poland?

To ride 500 miles down the E45 and back would be boring. A lot of the German autobahns are too busy. To go to Sweden we have to go over 2 expensive bridges and then the highway system runs out.

I rode 1000 miles in a day in 2007 and I think to get the distance in 24 hours you have to concentrate mainly on the highway.
Having said that I have no idea at the moment what the Polish road conditions for tht stretch is, but I can soon find out.

I will be putting this in for the Iron Butts 1000 mile in 24 hours but whoever rides can do the same or not bother it is totally up to them, I will help with the paperwork, when I find out myself what to do.

I am sure I will find some sleeping space for as many want to ride on the Saturday night...I wish i had never said that.

Like I said I don`t care what they ride . We could get together and sort the details out when we have some idea who wants to go.

Who is interested??

Steve

Count me in, - I'll get back when I hear from the other bikers I know. (Most of them are still recovering from New Years Partys ...)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK:::OK:::lets make this clear so we all know where we are...

This is a 1000 mile from Denmark almost non stop. No race tracks, amusement parks . It is not day tripping.

It starts and ends in Denmark and we will not have the time to stop and meet up with people.

If you are not from Denmark please edit your messages out of this thread.

You are quite welcome to come here and start and finish with us even if you are not from Denmark.

Martin I will look at the diary for the Harz and come back to you.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Count me in, - I'll get back when I hear from the other bikers I know. (Most of them are still recovering from New Years Partys ...)

Perhaps it would be relevant to post your longest trip so far, just so that we get an overall picture of experience. Its always better to know beforehand if special attention to anything needs to be taken.

My longest one so far was 433 Km, with breaks only to refuel, done the first Friday of November 2007, returning the 433km two days later. The ride took me approx 4 hours each way. (Copenhagen To Aalborg).
Besides being kinda cold at the end, the ride did not leave any marks.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
OK:::OK:::lets make this clear so we all know where we are...

This is a 1000 mile from Denmark almost non stop. No race tracks, amusement parks . It is not day tripping.

It starts and ends in Denmark and we will not have the time to stop and meet up with people.

If you are not from Denmark please edit your messages out of this thread.

You are quite welcome to come here and start and finish with us even if you are not from Denmark.

Martin I will look at the diary for the Harz and come back to you.

Steve

I think the official term is "Saddle Sore 1000",- at least according to IBA :)

http://www.ibaestore.com/images/SS1600K-PATCH.jpg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve; since you have done this before, - what kinda special gear (if any) is necessary? I'm thinking like camelbacks etc?

When I rode my 1000 miler in 2007 I had just had a new Saddleman saddle fitted to my Intruder 800. Jannie was away on a course so at lunchtime I got bored and decided to go for a ride. I had no idea where to go but I wanted to do 150-200km to give the saddle a good test.

By the time I had ridden past Leige, in Belgium it was dark and raining so I turned round and headed for home. It rained all the way to the Danish border.

So to answer your question of "What do you need" the answer is a credit card for food and fuel. a good set of waterproofs including waterproof gloves, I did not have them on my ride which was a big mistake. A flask of coffee. I would suggest breakdown cover to get your bike home if the worse happens.
I will take a sleeping bag so I can have a little nap somewhere.

Really there is no preparation. I did it totally on the spare of the moment.

Just look at it as a Saturday ride out but a bit longer.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
So Steve, - could we set a fixed date for this? , - Will make it easy'er to sell the Idear to all those "1 House - 1 Car - 1 Bike - 2 Kids - Devorcee" bikers I know, - they got a thing about planning ahead :)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will think of a date in the next couple of weeks. Lots to do and full of flu at the moment. I have not even seen a 2009 calendar yet.

Would you be interested in a weekend up in the Harz Mountains camping this year? I am going to try and arrange something with Cloggy and the guys from Holland and Belgium.

Steve

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I will think of a date in the next couple of weeks. Lots to do and full of flu at the moment. I have not even seen a 2009 calendar yet.

Would you be interested in a weekend up in the Harz Mountains camping this year? I am going to try and arrange something with Cloggy and the guys from Holland and Belgium.

Steve

Steve

Sure, - have to coordinate with work and so on, - but yes, - would be fun to do a Mini Euro-FZ6 meeting :)

ttoften

Reaction score
Visit site
since the my biker buddy is spending too much time at work (the army) i may be interrested in joining.

But with my own line of work. i cant be 100% sure if i can join, since my job is kinda summer seasonal :p or wåtevaa