What is this hole for?

Grape

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I bought a 2006 fz6s as a first motorcycle a couple of months ago and therefore new in this world of bikes. As I washed the bike I found a hole (about 5-7 mm in diameter) on the left side of the engine. It is situated on the cylinder wall. I wonder what this is used for? Nothing is fitted into the hole, it's just empty without threading.
I hope somebody has the answer to my question.
By the way, thank you for a great forum! /Henrik (Sweden)

can you take a picture? It might be a drainage hold for any water that may collect on the top of the engine?

I am not sure that i am familiar with this "hole"

I can take a picture tomorrow. The bike is at my parents place for winter storage but I will go there tomorrow.

eh, mine is in the garage in the next building over, if i go visit it today i will take a peek. 4-8 inches of snow today after i was out riding the past 2 days...

When I first saw that hole on mine I thought ' what on earth is that!'

Took it round to the garage, and they told me it's a drainage hole for the spark-plug area.

Took it round to the garage, and they told me it's a drainage hole for the spark-plug area.

Thank you. I feel much better now :) I had a horrible thought that somebody had drilled that hole to try to wreck the engine.

Ahhh, my guess was correct. i won;t bother looking at my engine later then. Thanks for clearing that up too:thumbup:

Noticed this yesterday myself...thanks for the explaination!

O and before I forget...here is a webpage that you can use to order parts and can also identify things on your bike:

Welcome to OEM Motorparts, Original parts for Aeon, Aprilia, BMW, Buell, Cagiva, Dinli, Derbi, Ducati, Gilera, Harley davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Peugeot, Piaggio, Suzuki, Sym, Tomos, Vespa and Yamaha motorcycles, mopeds and scooters.

I use this one a lot, it is great because they have all the diagrams for my 4 wheeler too!

Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.

Noticed this yesterday myself...thanks for the explaination!

O and before I forget...here is a webpage that you can use to order parts and can also identify things on your bike:

Welcome to OEM Motorparts, Original parts for Aeon, Aprilia, BMW, Buell, Cagiva, Dinli, Derbi, Ducati, Gilera, Harley davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Peugeot, Piaggio, Suzuki, Sym, Tomos, Vespa and Yamaha motorcycles, mopeds and scooters.
great link mate, especially for fhose of us not to mechanically minded

ARGHHHHHH Parts are so much cheaper in America!!!!

I need:

8 x exhaust manifold nuts

8 x Stud bolt for exhaust manifold and cylinder head.

European price: 2.13 euro each for all 16 = 34.08 euro = 53.84 US dollars

American price
: 1.88 each for 8x nuts: 15.04
1.11 each for 8x stud bolts: 8.88

Total american dollars: 23.92

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE??? US$29.92

Why is it so much cheaper in america???

Last edited:
ARGHHHHHH Parts are so much cheaper in America!!!!

I need:

8 x exhaust manifold nuts

8 x Stud bolt for exhaust manifold and cylinder head.

European price: 2.13 euro each for all 16 = 34.08 euro = 53.84 US dollars

American price
: 1.88 each for 8x nuts: 15.04
1.11 each for 8x stud bolts: 8.88

Total american dollars: 23.92

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE??? US$29.92

Why is it so much cheaper in america???
Scorph why are you even considering changing them? PM a us member and paypal them, get them marked as used an no inport tax.Then agin with postage it may work out the same.

Nel

I was going to answer this one but I see it has already been covered.:thumbup:

Is it the hole that's in the middle of a lug that sticks out of the front left corner of the engine block, sticking out forward about half way up?

I reckon it's a mounting point for the engine when it's in the R6 frame (same engine don't forget). The Missus uses it to mount her tax disk to.

I posted something similar in the thread "Cylinder Head Hole". :D

Anyway, the service manual [Service-LIT-11616-20-60] diagram on page 5-19, 5-20 and 5-21 shows this hole so its suppose to be there. It doesn't describe what it's for though.

There is also another use for the hole.When servicing the bike you might find that the plug covers can be a little hard to remove.Stick some compressed air in the hole & hey Presto the caps will pop up :rockon:

Back