Need Help Gear indicator

danimiko22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there. I've fitted a no name gear indicator to my fz6 s2 but it doesn't want to learn the gears. With ignition on, it goes from 6 to 1 and then flashing L. After starting the engine, L is flashing faster, then 1 appears and stays like that no matter what I do. Does anyone have a suggestion on this? Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
I would start by insuring the wiring is correct. Do you have instructions/ electrical schematic for the unit?

danimiko22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I've checked the wiring many times. The unit came with a 3 pin connector for the speed sensor which plugs into the wiring and 2 other wires. Red for power supply and green for crank shaft sensor. According to Instructions its just plug and play.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you put the unit into "learning" mode? If it is reading speed and the crank sensor (most read the signal from the coil) it needs to reference these vales to a baseline.

danimiko22

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess that flashing L means it's in learning mode. I tried to reset the unit by ignition off/on 6 times and also disconnected the battery but it made no difference.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is usually a procedure for learning that involves holding a steady throttle position at a certain RPM and then hitting a button to confirm the value shown, which advances you to the next gear indication, where you repeat the process. You are going to have to find the documentation for the unit.

danimiko22

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess that flashing L means it's in learning mode. I tried to reset the unit by ignition off/on 6 times and also disconnected the battery but it made no difference.

There is usually a procedure for learning that involves holding a steady throttle position at a certain RPM and then hitting a button to confirm the value shown, which advances you to the next gear indication, where you repeat the process. You are going to have to find the documentation for the unit.
Hi, there is no button on the unit.

Attachments

• 20230824_091352.jpg
    20230824_091352.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the instructions seem pretty straightforward. You note that you see the 6 - 1 count down, and then the L flashing. With the engine at idle do you see the 1 flash? At that point you need to start riding the bike in first gear only. Don’t up shift until you see the N.

danimiko22

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've just tried adapting again and it worked. Had to rev it over 6000 rpm in each gear for the unit to show n. Did it on a central stand but will try it on the road later to see how accurate it is.