Wet Race

P

Perfj

I went for the annual service today, to make sure to be covered by the Yamaha 5 years warranty. One hours drive from my home.
On the way up there it was raining, and on the way back it was just poring with rain. However I felt quite confident, because I have just been on a riding technique course. It was quite strange, to be able to relax even though driving in heavy rain.
And it only toke a couple of hours to get the the feeling back in our fingers and your body :cheer:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for the annual service today, to make sure to be covered by the Yamaha 5 years warranty. One hours drive from my home.
On the way up there it was raining, and on the way back it was just poring with rain. However I felt quite confident, because I have just been on a riding technique course. It was quite strange, to be able to relax even though driving in heavy rain.
And it only toke a couple of hours to get the the feeling back in our fingers and your body :cheer:

One hour ride in Denmark in any direction: Wouldn't that imply that you either went to Germany, Sweden or ended up in the Skagerak sea?;)

J/K

What's more important driving in the rain, is that you have confidence in your tyres. Otherwise your riding will very well be quite nervous.

P

Perfj

:D I have family in Norway, so I know what you mean. Driving from Roskilde to Senja almost every second year.
Form Roskilde across Fyn to the Skagen would take about 4½ hour. That is the longest you can possible drive. That is just like a small shopping trip in Norway. ;)
I enjoy very much my vacations in Norway. Fishing and mountain hiking.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
What's more important driving in the rain, is that you have confidence in your tyres. Otherwise your riding will very well be quite nervous.

I think confidence in your tires is important but I think it is also very important that you have confidence in your own riding ability. A lot of people get really nervous when riding in the rain and make some very common errors.

What are some of the most important things to change in your riding when it is slippery and wet out?

Misti

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I think confidence in your tires is important but I think it is also very important that you have confidence in your own riding ability. A lot of people get really nervous when riding in the rain and make some very common errors.

What are some of the most important things to change in your riding when it is slippery and wet out?

Misti

I try to be smother mostly when braking (start braking earlier than I do when it is dry).
On any turns I go slower (than usual) since I do not want to be force to use the rear break in the turn to slow down.
This is the first thing that comes to my head, of course, not a whole lot of riding experience yet!!!!

When it is dry and under certain "safe" conditions, I give myself room to practice different things and simulate "extreme" conditions like sudden stops, avoiding objects, sudden acceleration and/or lane change, etc but I'm not even near to think about doing things like this when it is wet (not yet)

P

Perfj

Yes I also believe that it is important that you aware of your own skills, and also what you actually are able to handle. Maybe more than you would believe, if you just stay calm. Many accidents are caused by panic reactions. If you have tried "worst case" on a course, you will probably manage better on the road.
Leaning into corners even when it is raining, or there is sand in the corner, can be fun, when you have someone to guide you.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
One thing I notice people doing when riding in wet or slippery conditions is coasting through the turn and not using the throttle. Should you avoid using the throttle in corners when it is wet out or should you still roll on the gas through the turn?

Misti

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I was lucky enough to spend the entire 1st riding day of my rider safety course in the rain, so that cured me of being absolutely spooked by the idea of wet riding, but I've yet to have the bike out in the rain since.

Rolling on is surely still appropriate to settle the chassis, but one must be careful not to exceed the available traction which will be reduced. Correct?

On the subject of tires, why is it that some tread patterns appear to direct water away from the center of the tire with respect to rotation and others seem to do the exact opposite? That is when looking at the tire head on you see 'V's vs. 'A's?

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I notice people doing when riding in wet or slippery conditions is coasting through the turn and not using the throttle. Should you avoid using the throttle in corners when it is wet out or should you still roll on the gas through the turn?

Misti

Well, of course, going too slow has also problems: you could have cars coming faster behind you which could end up in a collision, or you could even loose your balance and down you go.

I'd say you should still roll on the gas "smoothly" to mantain speed.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

Misti

Ever-so-slight changes in vectors. No sudden turns, braking, or acceleration. (Works for me) Safe riding!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to make sure you were talking about a Motorcycle, and not a bicycle. Lots of bicycles in Denmark, at least there were a lot in Copenhagen when I was there, especially at the train station. Just sick, so many it became funny.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Rain is something we cannot escape here in NH. There is always the threat and if desperate, you must ride in it or suffer withdrawal symptoms.

It's interesting to me how planted the FZ6 felt going in a straight line at highway speed. I wonder if bikes in general with sport tires have far less tendency to hydroplane -- due to small contact patch.

The good thing about rain is your not so darn hot and you don't have to worry about your bike getting dirty or wet (at least not after a few miles) :D.

Dennis

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Well, of course, going too slow has also problems: you could have cars coming faster behind you which could end up in a collision, or you could even loose your balance and down you go.

I'd say you should still roll on the gas "smoothly" to mantain speed.

Rolling on the gas will help you maintain your speed but more importantly it will transfer some of the weight off the front tire and onto the rear. This is important even when the conditions are dry but when it gets wet people seem reluctant to roll on the gas. It is almost more important to do this in the rain.

What benefits would there be in wet conditions of having less weight on that front tire?

Cheers,

Misti

P

Perfj

:D Yes we have a lot of ordinary bikes in Denmark - the "pancake country".
We also have about 143.000 motorcycles with a population of only 5 mill. people - and at least 3 months with rather cold weather :rockon:
No more spam, sorry:D

I read from your commends, that rain is at least a little dangerous. Ride smoothly but not very, very slow. By riding through the same corners several times (without crashing) you will experience that rain is not that bad.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
What benefits would there be in wet conditions of having less weight on that front tire?

Cheers,

Misti

You got me on this one as I can not come up with a concise answer right now :confused:

I'll be thinking about this :thumbup:

Thank you, it is a very good question.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com

Maybe this is a Danish thing..... EVERY one of the 4 services I have had done so far, - it's been pouring both on my way to the Dealership, and on the way home .....

That put aside, - riding in the rain is no different from riding in the sun, - always ride to your own ability, stay alert and keep a safe distance to other objects.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
What benefits would there be in wet conditions of having less weight on that front tire? ...

Hm... front tire only has so much traction and probably has less in the rain. Letting weight off the front will make it less likely to slide out -- specifically, I'm guessing that balancing weight on front plus rear (40/60) gives maximum traction. This is better than too much weight in front and not taking advantage of the added traction of the rear.

I remember taking a right hand turn into my work business park in the rain and the front end slid out left. I didn't have enough throttle going into the turn. I was hanging off on the right so I wasn't leaned over a lot. My solution was to keep the throttle steady and get the bike more vertical. I think the better solution would've been to add just a little more throttle.

Dennis