Well I had an interesting morning ....

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Eeekkk never noticed more replies, but yes they are the standard tires !! And I have been wondering how crap they are ..... So it seems that to cut costs they gave us crap tires !! :( :spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eeekkk never noticed more replies, but yes they are the standard tires !! And I have been wondering how crap they are ..... So it seems that to cut costs they gave us crap tires !! :( :spank:

Yep, i have siad it before, the OEM tyres are like concrete, straight from Fred Flinstone's car! Get yourself a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's...plenty of tyre for the FZ6...brilliant in the wet, well sticky in sport mode, and long wearing, without flattening out in the middle, cause of the harder compound in the centre of the tyre...

I would hazard to say, that the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's are just about tjhe most popular tyre choice with FZ6 riders...

If you want bulk grip....i dont reckon you can go past the Bridgestone BT002's, or BT003's....perfectly matched to the FZ6 forsports riding...and they also last longer than they should for a full on sports tyre..

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But is it really needed to spend another $500 on tires when they haven't even done 1000km's ?

Not really....just take it easy on those....in reality, they are not too bad, you just need to ride with a bit in reserve, rather than tryand ride the cwheels off the thing i suppose...

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
ahhh ok thanks for that, I always felt the bike to be a bit nervous when cornering, never feels settled to me. Also I keep losing your thread about you buying a new bike :( Hope you are getting a FZ1 or keeping the FZ6 ! :) (But add a turbo. Serious ;P)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's...plenty of tyre for the FZ6...brilliant in the wet, well sticky in sport mode, and long wearing, without flattening out in the middle, cause of the harder compound in the centre of the tyre...

I would hazard to say, that the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's are just about tjhe most popular tyre choice with FZ6 riders...
:

Yep the OEM bridgeys are crap , but you could also look at the new Metzeler Z6 Interacts :thumbup: I run em' , love em' , with never be without them again :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep the OEM bridgeys are crap , but you could also look at the new Metzeler Z6 Interacts :thumbup: I run em' , love em' , with never be without them again :D

Bit like me with the Bridgestone BT002-003's, i just love those tyres to bits!

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Whats dif between the Metz Z6 and M5 ? Or would the Michelin be the way to go or or ... <Sigh> I guess this question has been asked a million times ... I assume anything would be a zillion times better than the OEM ones.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still waiting to wear out my stockers before replacing them, just can't spend the money until its necessary as I'm starting a new course in a few days.

I think part of the bike not seeming to settle in corners, particularly in the city may just be the gearing, something I'm going to take a look at in the near future, I always find that in first and second I'm either too far into the powerband with the wheel spinning through the corner (or feeling like it will), or left high and dry in second because I slow down a bit, especially in the wet and end up with the on/off throttle action instead of nice smooth acceleration. If I take corners a bit harder and faster the bike actually is much more planted, but in the wet its not always an option, or when its not warmed up.

I also pay ALOT more attention to my tyre pressure these days, as my front seems to like to sit at about 30psi instead of the 33 I prefer. For some reason it always drops back to 30 (but not lower) after riding for a week or so.
Makes a huge difference with the feel of the bike however!

I've also found the rear tyre always seems to like locking up, even on light braking, no matter how clean the tyre is or how warmed up, whereas the front is much more planted, during the week when I was riding to my grandparents I came around a uphill corner behind my dad on his MV to find a truck struggling with the incline and started tapping the front and the back to slow down, and the rear just locked straight up, and I ended up in front of the other bike while I worked the front brakes. This was after a good hour of hard riding through the mountains as well so the tyres wouldn't get much warmer, and the road was reasonably clean.
Still stopped well before the truck, but wasn't pleasant.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Wore out my stock rear in around 10k.
Replaced with Pilot 2 rear and its still there in good shape after a further 14k. As most of the guys know I ride no matter what mother nature throws at me and its been great in the wet.

It was surprising just how much better the rear was. I took the advice from wolf and mikey and was satisfied that I made the right choice!

Front is bald now after 24k. Unlike with the rear I did not replace the front straight away due to my need to squeeze pennies but I wish I could have.

New pair of Road Pilot 2s on Friday! woot. Im looking forward to having two good tyres on the bike.