Valve Adjustments, have you had it done?

Valve adustment, have you had it done yet?

• Yes, I had it done and did it myself.

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • Yes, I had it done by a shop and it cost me.......

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • No, not yet but soon.

Votes: 311 81.6%

• Total voters

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
What type of tools are we talking about? My bike is about 10k miles away, but i would still like to know how much either buying the tools costs, or paying a dealer. And mechanically intimidating is true, especially for one who has never completed such a task (like myself). :confused:

It really is too easy to do yourself. If you have a few tools and a set of feeler gauges, it only takes a few hours (less if you don't need to make an adjustment). It might seem mechanically intimidating, but it really is easy. Just go slow, and follow the manual. I hate to see anyone give a greedy dealer money for something that they can do themselves.

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm, by the sounds of this thread.. thats rissskkkyyy, lol but i'm tempted to sway your way as well!!

Does one's riding habits influence that type of thing? ie. if you dog the hell outta the bike would it make a difference than babying?

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm, by the sounds of this thread.. thats rissskkkyyy, lol but i'm tempted to sway your way as well!!

Does one's riding habits influence that type of thing? ie. if you dog the hell outta the bike would it make a difference than babying?

Hm.. while babying the bike might delay the valve clearance closing up due to less valve actuations and related face/seat wear, everything in the top end gets more oil at a few thousand RPM. :)

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am currently doing my valve check and highly suggest that EVERYONE do it at the recommended interval. As some of you may have seen on my post about having a question about valve checks I found quite a few of my exhaust valves out of spec. I know only a couple people have found 1 exhaust valve out of spec and the rest of us has found no problems, but I found SIX...yes SIX exhaust valves out of spec.

I drive my bike pretty easy, but somehow they were way out. So even though I am in the minority of finding bad valves, it shows that it could happen to other FZ6 owners...but hopefully not.

Also I have taken everything apart and just got the new shims so I will be putting it back together tomorrow. It is a somewhat time consuming job, but actually very easy. All I needed was a 10mm and 12mm socket wrench, a 5 and 6mm allen wrench and a screwdriver to do all the dissassembly. It seems like a much more daunting task than it really is. I think almost anyone on this forum can do it. The biggest challenge will be facing the fear of doing it.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I'm about 1500 off my 24000 mile service. I've been quoted £600 for the service from Yamaha in Southampton, then he added "budget for £800"!

I doubt I'll have it done.

Does the engine make any particular noise when the valves start to tighten up?

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
my fz only has 10k miles on it and ive only had it for a few weeks now, so i havent needed to go that far with it. however, ive done the valves on all my bikes. the concours14 is notoriously difficult for this procedure and needs it every 15k miles...ive done them 3 times now. this last time the engine seems to have finally settled in. being this is my first yamaha, ive heard they are very rock solid in terms of valve clearances so that doesnt surprise me to hear that no changes are needed at the 50k mark.

if ive read correctly this is a standard shim under bucket set up, no?

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, so the valve service is almost 10% of the bike's purchase value, that's crazy.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what parts need to be replaced even if no adjustment is necessary?

I'm thinking head gaskets and valve cups? (Valve cups? Those round thingys:BLAA:)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
damn, so the valve service is almost 10% of the bike's purchase value, that's crazy.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what parts need to be replaced even if no adjustment is necessary?

I'm thinking head gaskets and valve cups? (valve cups? Those round thingys:blaa:)

5SL-11193-00-00 gasket, head cover
5EA-1111g-00-00 rubber, mount x 4

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to do my 86 suzuki GS750's valves but todays bikes are probably a little tougher to do. How in the heck to you even get to the valves? I have the service book and will do it myself when it's time however. I like tinkering around anyway. :rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
40,000 miles and no valve check yet:spank:

Update: 52,000 miles and still no valve check. I seriously have to consider spending over $400 on something when only one or two members have actually found it out of limits. My blue book value on my bike can't be more than $2500. I'm going to take my chances and keep rolling.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Update: 52,000 miles and still no valve check. I seriously have to consider spending over $400 on something when only one or two members have actually found it out of limits. My blue book value on my bike can't be more than $2500. I'm going to take my chances and keep rolling.

My thoughts exactly. I've got 17 months left to pay on the finance agreement. By then the bike will have upwards of 40000 on the clock and the value will have dropped right off! (Already has with 24000 on there!).:BLAA:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site

Why dont you strip the bike rite down untill you reach the motor so there is way less labor? you should get them checked:spank:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
the manual states that we should check the valve clearance every 40,000 km? went to ask 1 bikeshop mechanic, he told me it's not really needed, unless i can feel there's a problem with my bike, i can go until 60,000-75,000km before checking. i got to mention, he's not a yamaha mechanic, the old man just deals with most japanese bikes. he also added, bikeshops would be very rich if all bikes were to do valve clearance at 40,000km. :D

that being said, i have just passed the 40,000km mark.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't mind being the guinea pig for the forum. The valve check isn't the only thing that I've stretched out.

I currently have over 32,000 miles on my 2nd set of spark plugs. I changed my stock at 20,000 and they were still fine. But I did upgrade them to the Iridiums.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had my 40000 Km full service and valve check done at the dealer and it set me back nearly €500 :eek: they said they had to adjust several valves.

S

Shamus McFeeley

the manual states that we should check the valve clearance every 40,000 km? went to ask 1 bikeshop mechanic, he told me it's not really needed, unless i can feel there's a problem with my bike, i can go until 60,000-75,000km before checking. i got to mention, he's not a yamaha mechanic, the old man just deals with most japanese bikes. he also added, bikeshops would be very rich if all bikes were to do valve clearance at 40,000km. :D

that being said, i have just passed the 40,000km mark.

Valve clearance windows kind of depend on what shim method and the era of bike. Most of the older shim over bucket designed Honda 750-1100 inline fours had a 5-5500 miles inspection window.

By comparison, even my friend who has a new Hypermotard still has an inspection window of ~7000 miles. He has changed to an aftermarket shim and valve keeper to extend it somewhat.

After owning many bikes that had short inspections, 26,000 miles is awesome. It is not cool to have to do valve inspections every other month. While the potential is there to run 50,000 miles on a set of plugs, or 100,000 miles without a valve check, in the end it is up to the individual to decide on whether his bike is worth it, and if he has the kind of time and money to put into adhering to the recommended maintenance schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had my 40000 Km full service and valve check done at the dealer and it set me back nearly €500 :eek: they said they had to adjust several valves.

Of course, they had to say that to justify you spending the 500 Euros. Kind of silly for them to charge that much and then say everthing is good and come back in a couple of years.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will check back on this thread in 5 more years to see if Kenny ever got those valves checked. :)

I found a mechanic near me who will check and adjust valves for under $100, I think. Possibly even less than that.

I might switch out to a different bike before my '6 needs a valve adjustment. :Flash: Aprilia Tuono anyone? :sinister:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To check them is just a matter of removing the valve cover (and everything prior to that), clock the engine to TDC and slip a feeler gauge in. Then you'll know if they need adjustment or not.

Should they need adjustment, now you have to start removing the camchain tensioner, take note of the current clearances, cam's and then replacing the shims. Of course you have to make sure all the cam timing is spot on.... Quite a bit more involved but cheaper than burning a valve and now needing a valve job.

Worse case scenerio, bring it to the dealer ALREADY stripped down to the cams and have them change out shims, you've done 75% of the work already...