Valve Adjustments, have you had it done?

Valve adustment, have you had it done yet?

• Yes, I had it done and did it myself.

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • Yes, I had it done by a shop and it cost me.......

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • No, not yet but soon.

Votes: 311 81.6%

• Total voters

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine done by a shop. They charged me $120 because I had a bunch of other stuff done to the bike at the same time. They said that if I had the valve clearances checked by themselves it would have been $200. :shock: Taking care of this bike is too expensive, so I'm starting to do all the work myself. I started with the oil and I'm about to change the spark plugs and flush and fill the cooling system.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine done by a shop. They charged me $120 because I had a bunch of other stuff done to the bike at the same time. They said that if I had the valve clearances checked by themselves it would have been $200. :shock: Taking care of this bike is too expensive, so I'm starting to do all the work myself. I started with the oil and I'm about to change the spark plugs and flush and fill the cooling system.

$200 isn't bad in my opinion. $120 was great, that's if they did it. How many miles did you have on your bike?

I'm getting the feeling that most of the bikes that had this done, either by a shop or by the membes themselves, all seem to be within specs. I'm probably going to wait until 40k. Afterall, I stretched my plugs out till 20k and they were still fine, but I just changed them anyways.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure I would wait until 40K. It is true most Yamaha bikes probably are within spec at 24K (seems to be the case with the FJR's) however IF your bike does need adjustment do you want to risk postential engine damage which would cost much more than the valve adjustment?
It's easy to save $$ by doing your own oil changes etc. but skipping a valve adjustment on your 7k investment is not the best place to save money.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at the Yamaha dealer today in Roseville, Ca. (a shop I trust) and asked the service dept. what a valve adjust would cost. His reply was 2.5 to 5 hours depending on need. Shop rate is $95.00 an hour. So we are talking around $250.00 to close to $500.00 if really out of spec. Ouch... it costs to have fun.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure I would wait until 40K. It is true most Yamaha bikes probably are within spec at 24K (seems to be the case with the FJR's) however IF your bike does need adjustment do you want to risk postential engine damage which would cost much more than the valve adjustment?
It's easy to save $$ by doing your own oil changes etc. but skipping a valve adjustment on your 7k investment is not the best place to save money.

I agree, it's just a gamble. After all, I'm Vegas. You know the old saying, you can pay me now or pay me later. Later as in dearly.

S

Shamus McFeeley

It really is too easy to do yourself. If you have a few tools and a set of feeler gauges, it only takes a few hours (less if you don't need to make an adjustment). It might seem mechanically intimidating, but it really is easy. Just go slow, and follow the manual. I hate to see anyone give a greedy dealer money for something that they can do themselves.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It really is too easy to do yourself. If you have a few tools and a set of feeler gauges, it only takes a few hours (less if you don't need to make an adjustment). It might seem mechanically intimidating, but it really is easy. Just go slow, and follow the manual. I hate to see anyone give a greedy dealer money for something that they can do themselves.

Come to Vegas for a vacation, and you can do mine.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I checked my valves myself after being quoted $400 just for labor. There's 35k miles on the motor and only one exhaust valve was out of spec. on the tight side.

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
No one has mentioned the shim kit. Did anyone buy a shim kit before even checking the valves in the event they would be needed? Question for those that have done this, where did you get your valve shim kit from and how much?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha doesn't sell a kit, just individual shims. However, these are the same size and numbering system as a particular Honda shim style, and they may sell a kit. In my case, I had quite a few on hand from previous engine services, but didn't need to swap any. Based on what I measured recently, I anticipate adjusting 3-6 valves next time.

S

Shamus McFeeley

No one has mentioned the shim kit. Did anyone buy a shim kit before even checking the valves in the event they would be needed? Question for those that have done this, where did you get your valve shim kit from and how much?

Yeah, I got the hotcams kit like the one you're looking at. I got mine from motorcycle superstore for about $80.

Last edited by a moderator:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
$120 was great, that's if they did it.

you and I think alike, this is one job I would definitely do myself to know it
actually gets done, you bring your bike in with fairly low miles, runs great,
and the mechanic happens to need to have a crap at the time, hmmm, who
would ever know that it wasn't done, or done right?

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

I ordered the shim kit before doing my valve job. Ended up using only one but next time I'll have everything I need. Plus there was a pretty good sized list of other bikes that it supposedly fits. Got the hotcams kit off eBay for about $82 from seller lytleracinggroup.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
you and I think alike, this is one job I would definitely do myself to know it
actually gets done, you bring your bike in with fairly low miles, runs great,
and the mechanic happens to need to have a crap at the time, hmmm, who
would ever know that it wasn't done, or done right?

That's how I think about it.

I did mine at 26,600 and they were all within spec. Not bad when I ride it pretty hard.

Don't buy a shim kit. You will not use them all. I get my shims from a local shop. I did my old CBR because I had 4 valves out and did not spend that much buying the individual shims that I needed.

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
I'm doing mine soon. A local shop claims to do it for $150.00. He checked my friends Ducati for that price and told him it was in "specs" . I don't know if I have enough trust in a shop monkey to do the work so I will hang out all day and observe.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully it will be a long time before mine needs it but when it does, I guess I'll spring and let the Yamaha shop check them. The mechanic there told me that it's rare that they even need any attention but if so, it's usually just one that's on the limit. These engines either are actually bullet-proof or Yamaha really sets them up right when assembled, (or both)!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at my local independent shop the other day getting some tires mounted, and I inquired about a valve check. The mechanic said it'a bout 4 hours of labor for the FZ6.

Now, compare that to a Kawasaki Concours 14. He said they won't even do them anymore. It takes over 14 hours!