Ultimate FZ6 Bi-Xenon HID projector retrofit (Infinity FX35)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
FIZZER6 said:
Glad you did the mod! Any HID projector will outperform halogen reflectors, the Ebay ones can perform adequately for the price for sure.

I'm sure impressed by the performance of mine. It's almost tough for me to imagine that there could be better light output, but I'll take your word for it since you're "in the know". :)

The best low cost projectors I've tested are the Morimoto Minis. Just over $100 per pair and they can be used with any low cost H1 HID kit and perform about 90% as good as the high end OEM projectors in my tests. They are also installable without cutting the headlight reflector at all.
0.jpg

I was wondering if the Morimoto Mini would fit. Not a bad price for a quality product, one would just need to source some small ballasts for the bike.

The only part I didn't like about my install was how short the wires were from the projector. They barely fit out of the back of the FZ6 housing, making it a real pain to route the wires and hookup the connectors.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did the mod! Any HID projector will outperform halogen reflectors, the Ebay ones can perform adequately for the price for sure. The best low cost projectors I've tested are the Morimoto Minis. Just over $100 per pair and they can be used with any low cost H1 HID kit and perform about 90% as good as the high end OEM projectors in my tests. They are also installable without cutting the headlight reflector at all.
0.jpg

I'm contemplating purchasing these projectors with the $40 slim ballast DDM tuning HID Kit...

Piecing together my own Bi-Xenon HID Projector kit for ~$165 that would perform better than chinese stuff off ebay I imagine????

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm contemplating purchasing these projectors with the $40 slim ballast DDM tuning HID Kit...

Piecing together my own Bi-Xenon HID Projector kit for ~$165 that would perform better than chinese stuff off ebay I imagine????

DDM Tuning stuff is fine for non-projector retrofits(I have this on my FZ6 and both my cars). For projectors on the other hand, I wouldn't trust them. The bulbs burn way hotter than the OEM HID bulbs like the OP got, and this can destroy the reflective housing inside the projector. I've seen a few threads on this on the candlepower forums. If you go the projector route, it's best to spend the money on the really good HID kits, even if you cheap out on the projectors. Sucks, but it's better than having to pull it all apart in short order.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Well shoot. So what would you recommend for under $200? Might be looking towards the china ebay kits again...

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure, I haven't looked in a while. Take a peek at the candlepower forums, and see what sub-$200 kits people like, even if they're using them in cars and such.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did the mod! Any HID projector will outperform halogen reflectors, the Ebay ones can perform adequately for the price for sure. The best low cost projectors I've tested are the Morimoto Minis. Just over $100 per pair and they can be used with any low cost H1 HID kit and perform about 90% as good as the high end OEM projectors in my tests. They are also installable without cutting the headlight reflector at all.
0.jpg

I did a Morimoto Mini H1 retro on my Durango. Love them. Want to do the bike eventually.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well shoot. So what would you recommend for under $200? Might be looking towards the china ebay kits again...

Do NOT buy those cheap kits. Buy this!

Morimoto HID ballasts and bulbs...they are very close to OEM quality and you can get the Morimoto bi-xenon projectors, ballasts and bulbs with chrome shrouds and a wiring harness all for $270! And unlike the cheap Ebay kits you get a REAL 2-year warranty. This seller is awesome I deal with them all the time.

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
hello!
I see some cars with factory fitted xenon, and it happens after some time, the plastic lens (the transparent plastic) start to burn in the place the light is focused it loses transparency.
is this happening to your bikes?
Thanks!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the model number of that horn? Can't afford louder pipes right now so I'd like a louder horn.

Hella Supertone. I'm happy with it, not sure how much louder than stock it is. I used the low tone one on my beater car and the high tone on the bike.
hella-supertone-horns.jpg

hello!
I see some cars with factory fitted xenon, and it happens after some time, the plastic lens (the transparent plastic) start to burn in the place the light is focused it loses transparency.
is this happening to your bikes?
Thanks!
I've had these projectors on my FZ6 for 5 years as of this coming winter and my headlight lenses still look new. I have HID projectors in my personal cages as well and never had a problem. I think what you are describing is the fading of plastic headlight lenses over time. What happens is unprotected plastic lenses get nicked up by sand, stones, bugs, debris, wind and rain and of course UV damage from the sun. Once the factory clear coating on headlight lenses is damaged it exposes the plastic to the air where a combination of UV damage and oxidation discolor the lens and turn it yellow and faded over time. There is a simply solution to eliminate this. Lamin-X clear vinyl headlight film! I have this stuff installed on all my cars and the FZ6. It 100% prevents oxidation and damage from UV or road debris (stones).
Lamin-x Protective Films

the lens keep't like this after a couple of years?
In this case I will use this mod!!
See above response! Absolutely! :thumbup: