Turn signal problem

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Front right turn signal flashes fast but rear right doesnt flash atall. When hazzard lights on front right flashes normal, rear right does not flash. Bulb not damaged and have power going to the rear flasher. Any suggestions?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Turn signal problem

Front right turn signal flashes fast but rear right doesnt flash atall. When hazzard lights on front right flashes normal, rear right does not flash. Bulb not damaged and have power going to the rear flasher. Any suggestions?

Open wire or connection to the rear lamp. I'll assume the left side works normally? One flasher relay is used for all functions. :)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the bulb burnt out? Just because it doesn't look damaged does not mean it doesn't need to be replaced. Simple test is swapping bulbs with a working one on the bike. If the problem follows the bulb, you need a new bulb.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Is the bulb burnt out? Just because it doesn't look damaged does not mean it doesn't need to be replaced. Simple test is swapping bulbs with a working one on the bike. If the problem follows the bulb, you need a new bulb.

True. Op says the bulb is not damaged.

Last edited:

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
You can also swap the connectors for the rear indicators. If the left one still works after the swap but the right one doesn't, it's the bulb. Same thing happened to mine. Bulb didn't look damaged but it was dead.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Bulb is fine , I have tried each bulb in each connector. I have also swapped the wires and still no dice. I have a test light and tested the circuit all the way up to the light connection and it shows it is getting power , the bulb just does not flash. I am wondering if it is the flasher as the front right is flashing fast

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Bulb is fine , I have tried each bulb in each connector. I have also swapped the wires and still no dice. I have a test light and tested the circuit all the way up to the light connection and it shows it is getting power , the bulb just does not flash. I am wondering if it is the flasher as the front right is flashing fast

When you tested with the test light, did you use the metal bulb socket base as the ground? If you didn't try it. You may have lost the ground. :)

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this problem intermittently on my SV650S. Tapping the indicator a couple of times usually brought it good :)

Sorry.. I know this doesn't help. Good luck!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I probed around the metal plug area and still got a flash and power there even with bulb in it shows power.. im stumped

Is this the type of lamp?
13504.jpg

or this type?
10629.jpg

This type?
13546.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is the bottom type

It's probably the contact on the ground pin. If you put your test light clip on the positive terminal of the battery and probe the lamp socket one of the pins will show steady voltage and one will blink as the flasher flashes. The pin that shows steady is the ground pin when you test it this way. The pin that blinks is the flasher signal. If you don't have a steady voltage when testing this way the lamp socket has lost the ground. It could be the metal contact is no longer touching the metal tangs on the lamp. The black wire that goes into the socket is the ground.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok thanks for all your help. Next time I look at it I will try and take some pictures. What I have done to test the wiring is I clip the test light onto a piece of metal on the frame and then probe around. I will try what you suggested. Would the rear flasher not working cause the front right to blink faster?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok thanks for all your help. Next time I look at it I will try and take some pictures. What I have done to test the wiring is I clip the test light onto a piece of metal on the frame and then probe around. I will try what you suggested. Would the rear flasher not working cause the front right to blink faster?

The answer is yes on the faster flash rate if the front or rear lamp is not in circuit. The OEM flasher is load dependent and will change it's flash rate. This is why people change over to the electronic flashers when they use LED signal lights. The lower current LEDs cause flash rate to change. This doesn't happen with the electronic flasher.

What you've told us so far leads me to strongly believe you've lost the ground path on that stalk assembly. This might be right at the bulb connector or elsewhere. Of course check the connecting plugs to your flasher stalks.
Let us know how you make out!:)

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your help folks! Been a few weeks but got some time and found the problem. The pins in the connector were not in the correct place so current was not flowing. I got it all fixed now!