Thinking about pulling the trigger on a leather suit...

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering picking up a full leather suit. I've tried multiple pairs of riding pants and they were all too bulky for me. I stopped by a great new motorcycle gear shop near me tonight (Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Helmets & Accessories - Motochanic) to try on some stuff and see how the fit was.

Wound up putting on a size 52 Alpinestars GP-Pro suit and getting it on was a process. Felt like my boys were losing circulation when standing up, but when in the riding position it was actually quite comfortable. Putting on one of the size 52 pants from a 2-piece suit and getting on the bike felt worse; like it was digging into my stomach in the riding position.

Just wanted peoples opinions on how a suit should fit before I buy, if anyone had recommendations on 1 piece vs. 2 piece, and see where the hell people put their wallet when wearing these things.

On a side note, I should mention that the shop I went to was phenomenal. I don't think I've ever dealt with people that friendly when trying to help me learn about gear, especially since I'm new to it all. Anyone in NJ should stop by if they need something. The store is small, but they can order you anything you want, don't charge sales tax, and you can earn rewards with every $100 you spend. Click the link above to check 'em out. Thanks.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
If your mainlyy going to wear the suit on the street, meaning rides where you are getting off the bikke for food or whatever, get a 2 piece. You'll appreciate being able to take the jacket off.

If most of the time u wear the suot your out to just ride, little to no stops or trackk days, one peice all the way. Better protection and cmfort.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a 2 piece is the best option for me even though the 1 piece is more comfortable.

I need a pocket or two and that's only available on the 2 piece. Kind of sucks that the 2 piece suits I've seen aren't as ventilated as the 1 pieces.

Think I'm gonna give the Alpinestars 2 piece Carver a shot.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Wound up ordering the 2 piece Alpinestars GP Pro suit (for an extra $200 I figured the safety upgrades were worth it), Apinestars SP-1 gloves, and the SMX-5 Vented boots.

I'm going to look like a power ranger, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i found the 1-peices a bit less comfortable, as they were much tighter (i actually dislocated my hip trying to get on the demo bike in the shop)

your suit should last a few years, so it's money well spent. Don't know what alpine stars leatheris like, but dainese stuff is pretty much worn in and ready to go. I always prefer wearing my leathers over my textiles now

(that said i am going to get soem nice warm and dry textiles for winter as my current ones are a bit rubbish)

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
i found the 1-peices a bit less comfortable, as they were much tighter (i actually dislocated my hip trying to get on the demo bike in the shop)

your suit should last a few years, so it's money well spent. Don't know what alpine stars leatheris like, but dainese stuff is pretty much worn in and ready to go. I always prefer wearing my leathers over my textiles now

(that said i am going to get soem nice warm and dry textiles for winter as my current ones are a bit rubbish)

Good to know that the 2 pieces are a bit more forgiving than the 1's. When I tried on the one piece I needed help getting in and out of it. I only bought the Alpinestars stuff because I had tried on some of their things before and knew what my size "should" be compared to the actual size charts. Everything is coming in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully it all fits and I can't wait to test it out.

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Leather suits are good investment. For street riding and occasional track days two piece are better. I have AGV sport two piece and alpinestar smx-5. I love the boots. Thanks for pointing out new store. This one is closer than Cycle gear in Edison.