The "Off Topic" thread...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should try working at a bike shop. I'm eyeing out some new gloves as I type! I don't think a week has gone by that I haven't bought something :(

At least I've completed my initial list of mods which is good.

BTW I miss your last avatar J.....!

What gloves are you eyeing off ?? Im buying some new ones on Saturday morning & could use a few reviews :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, this afternoon I put a 15T front sprocket on the bike (JT sprockets). Cost $30 at the local Yami dealer.

OMFG!

I cannot believe the difference it made. I went for a couple of solo rides today (now I'm fully legal :D), before and after.

The acceleration is so much quicker. I had a bad habit previously of changing gear a little early, therefore not using the full potential of the motor. Trust me, that won't happen any more :thumbup:

Sweet :D:D:D

Tomorrow, speedo-healer and gear indicator, possibly PC III, depending on how much time we have.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kazza, 15t is something everyone should do from day 1 hey! It's crazy. It's even more pronounced if you try going back to 16t. The drive is sweet. I highly recommend installing your PC3, only should take about 10mins. Just load in the PC map to suit your Scorps, will be like going up another tooth or two on the rear :)

Humper - starting to get cold. At the end of last Winter I splurged on some Dainese Jericos. They had all the goods listed on the pack like Goretex and have the name of course. Think they were $229. They are utter crapola. Sweet looking, good feel, but are colder than my cheap Rivit spare winter gloves.

Word on the street (a lot of begging suppliers to be honest with me) narrows my search for warm winter commuter gloves that aren't thick, to two. The Alpinestars 365 GTX which are basically waterproof sports gloves with a bit of a warm liner, and Rev'it! Kelvin H20s. They're around the same cash (Rev'it a bit less) which is going to hurt, but because I ride everyday I can easly talk myself into justifying it! The 365s are probably what I'll get. The rep assures me an early morning ride in Canberra was the icing on the cake for him, he loves them. And we know how cold it gets there. If they're no good I'm sending them straight back to him!

Last edited:

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wondering about winter gloves, mine are warm but you can hardly close your fist in them. going to cruise ebay to look for those 365's.alpinestars stormrider look the goods too.

Last edited:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the Cam and Kazza :) So what sort of difference are you talking about with the change in sprocket ? And was it hard to do ?

Edit: What dealer was that ? :)

Last edited:

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the Cam and Kazza :) So what sort of difference are you talking about with the change in sprocket ? And was it hard to do ?

Edit: What dealer was that ? :)
Sprocket took about 10 minutes to do. Very easy. Had to adjust the chain slightly. Didn't need much.

I used to change around 4000 rpm :spank:

Now I change around 8000 - got no choice. It's fantastic :D

Mike changed the front and rear on his XJR today - he said the changes have made the bike "manic". His took a lot longer - Hydraulic clutch - but was still easy. Didn't have to drain clutch fluid or anything. Went -1 front, +1 rear. Also put a new DID chain on, x-ring. 32000 kms from the original chain and sprockets. In reality, could have done another 15000 kms. He wanted a new bike, without actually buying one, therefore new bars, pipe and gearing change - it's a different ride.

We are pretty happy today :D

Roll on Saturday.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stormriders would also be good, also sus out the Jet Roads they do. Kaz, do you find the Nordics too thick or are they ok? I hate losing the feel on the levers. I love my summer gloves, bring on the hot weather :)

RP - difference is hard to explain. It builds revs far more quickly, feels like you have another 100cc. More torque basically. Initially it feels like it revs too high at higher speeds but you get used to that. I guarantee that unless you spend most of your time on freeways, you won't turn back after the change. And for the minimal cost it's probably the most cost effective performance mod you can do. $30.

Changing is easy. Unscrew the front sprocket cover, loosen your axle nut and screw in your chain adjusters so your wheel moves forward. Knock flat the washer on the front sprocket then unbolt. Easier to do with your rear wheel on the ground. It's as simple as pulling it off and pushing in the smaller one. Make sure you knurl the washer back up on one side of the nut so it can't come loose. Then reassemble and you're done. Do it when you install your Ohlins!

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cam, the Nordics aren't too thick at all. I'm the same as you - I actually did my test today with my Alpinestar Octane shorty gloves - they are just so worn in :D

I have the Nordics for when it is really cold. I've also just bought some "gauntlet" gloves - Alpinestar SP1. Got them for $129. They feel great so far, but I haven't gone for a long ride yet. I always seem to go for my Octanes........ :D

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$129 for the SP1s is a bargain, usually that's SP2 pricing. Nice. Will have to re-visit the Nordics as well then. What kind of temps does it get down to around your neck of the woods? Like helmets, it's annoying with gloves that you can't really test them well until you have a few decent rides.......

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can get down to 0, but 2 to 5 is average for winter mornings. Perth city is a couple of degrees warmer than where we are - in the Chittering Valley, @ 60 kms from Perth. Warms up nicely during the day though, thank goodness.

Was a good price for the SP1s - and it was a Ducati dealer......

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
RST make some decent lightweight winter gloves, that are waterproof, warm, and give you a decent "feel" at the handlebars....and if it gets really cold, you can use thermal inners and still have a decent "feel" at the bars! :D

But the best thing to do is get heated grips....these cured the chill blains i got 2 winters ago, when i was consistently riding in near freezing conditions, late at night, 4 nights a week, in the freezing cold Adelaide Hills...

:thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha I've been trying to resist the heated grip thing - Sydney we're only talking maybe 5deg min in the very early morning. I use the thermal liners sometimes, so sometimes just my tips get a bit cool. I usually pre-heat my gloves over my heater before I head off :)

I've noticed a few people have fitted handguards to their naked bike - again prob not cool enough here but I like the concept.

Heated gloves would be luxury hey :)

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I have fitted Barkbuster Storm guards to mine and they help a lot with the cold! i think i got them for like 100 bucks through work. i will snap a pic tomorrow and put it up, they dont look the nicest but i like feeling in my hands when i get to work after my 30 to 40min ride in the cold everymorning. when it warms up i will take them off again.

I have heard a few people rave about the heated gloves like they are gods gift and countless people have good reviews on the heated grips but the winter gloves and handguard are working for me:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha I've been trying to resist the heated grip thing - Sydney we're only talking maybe 5deg min in the very early morning. I use the thermal liners sometimes, so sometimes just my tips get a bit cool. I usually pre-heat my gloves over my heater before I head off :)

I've noticed a few people have fitted handguards to their naked bike - again prob not cool enough here but I like the concept.

Heated gloves would be luxury hey :)

I have fitted Barkbuster Storm guards to mine and they help a lot with the cold! i think i got them for like 100 bucks through work. i will snap a pic tomorrow and put it up, they dont look the nicest but i like feeling in my hands when i get to work after my 30 to 40min ride in the cold everymorning. when it warms up i will take them off again.

I have heard a few people rave about the heated gloves like they are gods gift and countless people have good reviews on the heated grips but the winter gloves and handguard are working for me:thumbup:

The winter that i rode every day and night in temperatures lower than zero from time to time...i ended up with handguards, heated grips, thermal inners, and winter gloves...yes the hand protectors look like poop, and you would never see them on my black bike! :eek:

But i have recently fitted the handguards to the touring Mule...which doesnt matter, cause it's super dorky already with Top Box, and Yamaha Screen in place....new heated grips are on the way...once you have had them, you will always want them...if you ride in the cold!

The handguards also keep a fair bit of water of your gloves too, and stop the wind chill, that not even heated grips can combat...

They are a bit thick for my liking, but the desire to have warm hands is greater than the ergonomic concerns!

:thumbup:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm well my bike has done about 630km total, so many things to do !! Looks like I will ask for a sprocket change on my first service as well ;P

Thanks for the explanation Cam :) Sounds great, I would love to know when people started upgrading there bikes :) Will get the Ohlins installed when I get the first service done .... That is going to be a interesting service ! :) (Oh most driving seems to be the freeway for me ATM:/)

Last edited: