Test rode a ZZR

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a beautiful weekend here in the northeast - highs in the 50's! So, on Saturday I took a ride with a friend to the local BMW dealer to check out the used bikes. I couldn't help but take a test ride on this 2008 ZZR with only 5K miles on it:

View attachment 32245

Of course, now I want it but in order to get it I would have to sell my FZ. I could pick this beauty up for $4K.

I love my bike but I think the ZZR would be much more comfortable for long trips. It would only require an initial investment of bar risers and frame sliders but seems to be in very good condition. The downside of the ZZR is the carburetor/choke but wow, it shifts smoothly!

What do you guys think?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love ZZR, but having owned carbed bikes before, I have no interest in ever going back to one.
Not to mention the whole new 15% ethanol fuel mix which has not been tested on carbed bikes.. that may really mess things up.
FI FTW!

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I owned a 2008 ZZR600 until recently. It was my first bike and I had it for two years (17k miles total), and wish I had gone the FZ6 route instead. I'm not a big fan of carbs. Every time I wanted to start the bike I had to give it a slight rev, and playing with the choke got old especially in winter. It does shift smooth, but it is also more leaned forward than the FZ6 so you end up putting more weight on your wrists. As far as it being comfortable for long trips? I guess if would have to be a preference thing. To me, I had to purchase helibars and modify my seat in order to make it somewhat comfortable. The seat is kinda point on the edges making it give a really weird pressure point that got sore really quick.

With everything being said, I think the FZ6 is more technologically advanced, and I don't want to go back to a carbureted motorcycle as my daily rider. It was decently fast and sat pretty sporty, but I think the FZ6 would be more comfortable in the long haul. But again, I think it may just be a rider preference. Other than what my quirks, it's a great motorcycle, but I prefer fuel injected over carbs.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Fully adjustable suspension, front and rear. Lighter than the FZ, faster than the FZ, better looking that the FZ...

The carb issue is a deal breaker for me, too. However, given the choice between the two on the track or street.. I'd go ZZR then FZ, respectively. I'm really loving my FZ on the street. Just gotta' get some better suspension under it and she'll be damn near the perfect bike.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the ZZR I've hired the 600 for a weekend a couple of times and I loved it :thumbup:, but this was more than 10 years ago now.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comments.

The carburetor isn't a deal breaker for me but I do prefer the fuel injection. The only known problem that I could find with the ZZR is that the clutch switch tends to be a problem at times - needing cleaning or replacing. Basically the bike will only start in neutral with the clutch disengaged if this is the problem - which it seemed to be on this bike. I would have the dealer fix it before purchase.

As for riding position, it seemed to me that I was putting less pressure on my wrists and gripping more with my knees. But yes, bar risers would be needed as I could not ride that bent over for too long. The wind protection seemed to be a lot better though with the fairings and riding position.

I also noticed that the ZZR is lighter but the seat is a little higher - being uh......vertically challenged at not quite 5'4" I notice these things. Again, this is not a problem because I am on my toes with the FZ as well and no, I don't want to get either bike lowered. :)

Please feel free to post more comments - the more opinions the better!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
, bar risers would be needed as I could not ride that bent over for too long. The wind protection seemed to be a lot better though with the fairings and riding position.

This will be erased to a degree with risers.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
With risers, the ZZR would be a great "all-rounder".. but with some suspension upgrades, so can the FZ.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.