TBs pop a lot!

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my TBs c/f installed a couple of weeks ago and i noticed a popping sound very often. I am also running on K&N Air filter. Any ideas?

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my TBs c/f installed a couple of weeks ago and i noticed a popping sound very often. I am also running on K&N Air filter. Any ideas?

You could do the old unplug the battery method to mess with the 02 sensor. dunno how good it works

PCIII/Juice Box

My silverado has straight duals out the back and it pops whenever I let off the gas. Kinda cool imo

Last edited:

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
You could do the old unplug the battery method to mess with the 02 sensor. dunno how good it works

PCIII/Juice Box

My silverado has straight duals out the back and it pops whenever I let off the gas. Kinda cool imo

What do you mean mess with the 02 sensor...will that reset it or something?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yep, i like the popping, especially when changing down, on the over rev, using the engine braking...bang, pop, bang, bang, pop!

:rockon:

have not bothered to try and fix it....i have a BMC air filter, power commander, etc.

if it helps at all, putting the P1 db killers in, gets rid of 95% of it.

:thumbup:

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
yep, i like the popping, especially when changing down, on the over rev, using the engine braking...bang, pop, bang, bang, pop!

have not bothered to try and fix it....i have a BMC air filter, power commander, etc.

if it helps at all, putting the P1 db killers in, gets rid of 95% of it.

Sorry... forgot to mention the P1s...i have those installed as well...btw they make almost no difference to how loud they sound

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry... forgot to mention the P1s...i have those installed as well...btw they make almost no difference to how loud they sound

Well, i reckon they make a bit of difference, below 8000rpm's anyway...i can normally put the bike in top gear, and sneak past the noise police off the throttle, at 60km/h, without gathering too much attention...with the P1's in that is...

took my P1's off again on the weekend, and rode yesterday....around the city...nearly got pulled over parking the bike in a Mc Donalds carpark....was just lucky the boys where more interested in their big mac's at that point...

:eek:

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i reckon they make a bit of difference, below 8000rpm's anyway...i can normally put the bike in top gear, and sneak past the noise police off the throttle, at 60km/h, without gathering too much attention...with the P1's in that is...

took my P1's off again on the weekend, and rode yesterday....around the city...nearly got pulled over parking the bike in a Mc Donalds carpark....was just lucky the boys where more interested in their big mac's at that point...

:eek:

Hehe i didn't get any action with the police yet! Maybe i am the only one that thinks they are too loud.

Can the popping sound or whatever the issue is with the 02 sensor be picked up by the diagnostics? how can i run the manual diagnostics?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe i didn't get any action with the police yet! Maybe i am the only one that thinks they are too loud.

Can the popping sound or whatever the issue is with the 02 sensor be picked up by the diagnostics? how can i run the manual diagnostics?

Nope...your not the only one that thinks they are too loud! LOTS of discussion on herfe regarding the LOUDNESS of the TB's....i personally like it, and have not tried to quell such noise, other than to use the P1 tips for general commuting, especially at night.....very hard to be "Stealthy" when your on an empty road at night, with a set of pipes that you can hear from a likometre away!

Dont think it has much to do with O2 sensor, has more to do with the fact that you have just put 2 big open pipes on your bike, and there is very little packing, or any baffling to quell the noise...popping would be more due to a lack of back pressure, i presume..not that i am any type of expert on these matters...just taking a wild stab in the dark.

as for running manual diagnostics...am guessing this is not possible...am guessing you would have to leave that to a Yamaha dealer with the right equipment....

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope...your not the only one that thinks they are too loud! LOTS of discussion on herfe regarding the LOUDNESS of the TB's....i personally like it, and have not tried to quell such noise, other than to use the P1 tips for general commuting, especially at night.....very hard to be "Stealthy" when your on an empty road at night, with a set of pipes that you can hear from a likometre away!

Dont think it has much to do with O2 sensor, has more to do with the fact that you have just put 2 big open pipes on your bike, and there is very little packing, or any baffling to quell the noise...popping would be more due to a lack of back pressure, i presume..not that i am any type of expert on these matters...just taking a wild stab in the dark.

as for running manual diagnostics...am guessing this is not possible...am guessing you would have to leave that to a Yamaha dealer with the right equipment....

I am a newbie so any information i get is helpful to me...Thanks for your help

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I worried and looked into this a while ago, had the same exact pipes..most experienced bikers i talked to said it is normal, but it seems abnormal because you now really hear it all of a sudden..i think there is nothing wrong with your bike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I worried and looked into this a while ago, had the same exact pipes..most experienced bikers i talked to said it is normal, but it seems abnormal because you now really hear it all of a sudden..i think there is nothing wrong with your bike

Correct, you should hear my business partners Z1000 with Akropovic's...,not super loud, but they pop, and blow flames on over rev...

And i have a Ducati with open pipes, which pops way more than the fizzer...sounds coooool!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Wolf's right, they do pop more and I like it!
If you go to any races you will hear popping all the time, don't worry, it's normal.
Live it, love it. Think of you 2bros as deer alerts :)

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
learn to love your poppin'

my scorpions with and without db killers "pop"
and even my drilled stock exhaust pops on (hard) engine braking :D

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
X2 I love that sound.There's a tunnel just before the hospital where I work and I get up to about 60,then throttle off half way through it,sounds like someones opened up with a machine gun :D

pilavakis

Reaction score
Visit site
ok ok ok i get it...i have to live with it...heheheh

to be honest....i kinda like it too i just wanted to now if I did something wrong during installation

Thanks again guys for the info

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com

Okay, it took me about ten posts to figure out that you were talking about a Two Brothers exhaust and not Throttle Bodies. :)

Sometimes, you'll get popping just based on the design of the exhaust. Other times it's caused my a loose fitting somewhere on you exhaust.

My Laser Quad really doesn't pop like some of the other aftermarket exhausts.