Suzuki GSXR750 vs. Yamaha FZ6

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
My son set his eyes on GSXR750 for a longer time. That's a dream bike for him. 3 days ago he brought it home, yellow and black, quite nice looking. Looks and sounds terrific. After putting together every dollar he could muster he is all happy with deal he got. 8300 bucks for '06 with 2200 km (1400 miles).

So yesterday he went to gym and I went to test ride his new baby. Here is a quick comparison and I'll elaborate below:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -GSXR 750 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - FZ6

Looks: no winner here, they both looks nice, in each way

Seating position: quite bad, strained - - - - - - - - - -very comfy!

Handling: hard to turn, slow speeds - - - - - - - - easy

Riding: rough, felt every bump - - - - - - - - softer ride

Acceleration: OMG! - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -solid

Power: again OMG!! - - - - - - - - - - - - - --7000 RPM and up

Speed: rocket on 2 wheels - - - - - - - - - - - fast

Brakes: very strong- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - solid

Impression (respect) road factor: high - - - - - - - -- average

Fun factor: often scary - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - a lot of fun

Insurance factor: twice as much - - - - - - - - - - - - -1/2 of GSXR

* When I seat on it didn't like riding position right there. Too low, bent forward, strains neck, arms and back. I don't think I could take longer rides on GSXR. For comparison FZ6 feels like Cadillac!
* When you move bike around, park or make tight turn it is quite hard to do it. Wheel travel is very short. However it feels somewhat lighter than FZ6. Also, plus is on GSXR side with built-in front wheel dumpener (shock absorber).s
* Actual riding was a rough experience again. Shock absorbers are probably great for sporty ride but you will feel every single bump on the road and bigger ones really shake things up. Feels like it will kick you out of the seat. FZ6 has much softer ride.
* Instruments are good, liked gear indicator, missed fuel level gauge indicator. Rear view mirrors are useless, all I could see are my shoulders and arms. Changing gears is fast and precise, feels better than FZ6.
* Brakes are crisp, one or two fingers enough for sharp braking. If somebody asked me yesterday about brakes on FZ6 I would not have any complaints. Now after I tried GSXR I like those ones better.

* Power and speed: now we come to biggest difference between the two. GSXR750 is not a motorcycle, it's a rocket! Power is present in every gear and every RPM range. It scared me shi.....s few times and I didn't really open up to the extreme because I suspected it will be wicked experience! And it was. Acceleration pushes you backwards and it feels like front wheel is going up in the air. I had impression that there is no frigging way that there is anybody or anything on the road that can be faster (I guess except a liter bike like GSXR1000). I have to look better at the engine. They must strapped rocket engine somewhere below. It is hard to imagine what kind of (more) performance GSXR1000 brings to the table. One thing is for sure, I will not be one to find out.
FZ6 has solid power available and can smoke most of the cars with no sweat. I almost never drive like that and rarely go above 7000 RPM anyway. However, power and acceleration offered still doesn't feel scary, it feels still controllable. Again, to bring GSXR750 into the picture brings one single word to mind: SCARY!

As conclusion I offer this: Gixxer is very nice piece of machinery but I am not coming close to it again. It is for younger and performance oriented rider. By the way, he (she) must be also fearless which doesn't work for me. I am not of that kind and also hoping to see retirement.
For me FZ6 is a clear winner. It costs less, get insured for less, very comfortable to ride, easer on body with more upright position, softer shock absorbers, performance on demand, fuel gauge, mirrors that you can use and more. With speed limits as they are in North America there is no fear that FZ6 won't provide enough speed to every rider.

Now I am gone to GSXR forum (Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com) and see if they will allow same post there....

Zack

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
link to other thread on gixxer forums

GSXR750 vs. Yamaha FZ6 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

cool review tho and just as i suspected. i wont be ready for a true supersport for a long time yet. I will wait another year (or two) before i consider myself ready for that second bike supersport. just sounds absolutely nuts. way too crazy. i mean you would have to be extremely smooth at every moment or risk too much power to the rear wheel.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
P.S.

Impression (respect) road factor: high - - - - - - - -- average

change that at once!! average?!? pfft. above average at the very least. its an R6 engine and has a nice aggro-style to it. naked or otherwise. average? damn.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
link to other thread on gixxer forums

cool review tho and just as i suspected. i wont be ready for a true supersport for a long time yet. I will wait another year (or two) before i consider myself ready for that second bike supersport. just sounds absolutely nuts. way too crazy. i mean you would have to be extremely smooth at every moment or risk too much power to the rear wheel.

Yes, don't rush into that direction. Every bike riding needs your undivided attention, with GSXR even more.
If you can try for at least 20-30 minutes it before getting it that would give you an idea what I am talking about.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i probably wouldnt get a gixxer. most likely an R1 or a ducati 848. i wont get it until i have spent at least 2 years or so in continuing to practice on the fz6 and have gained track experience. I would have to feel my riding ability is exceptional before i got a bike like that. They are just too mental. But I will indeed take it for a ride before i buy.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
P.S.

change that at once!! average?!? pfft. above average at the very least. its an R6 engine and has a nice aggro-style to it. naked or otherwise. average? damn.

What I meant by that is impression you make on other drivers on the road, predominantly car drivers. Has nothing to do with styling.
When riding FZ6 car drivers notice me but there is not much respect there. I have to watch all sides so some idiot won't cut me off or push off the lane or road.
With Gixxer I had feeling that there is more respect, longer glances ... maybe I am wrong.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya i see what you mean. when ppl see a super-sport i can understand how they might look longer/harder to see if its one of those clowns who is going to wheelie past them or not.

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for this review. Would be looking at something like this gixxer for my next bike, although this would be in the distant future as I am still paying for the FZ.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for this review. Would be looking at something like this gixxer for my next bike, although this would be in the distant future as I am still paying for the FZ.

Gixxer is big step up in power and speed and step back in functionality so don't rush that way. I posted same thing in GSXR forum and most of the people there jumped on me like I offended their mothers. More than few said that I am an idiot comparing GSXR750 and FZ6 (apples and oranges analogy) when it is clear that GSXR750 is much better (faster) bike. Some of the comments are reasonable, take a look yourself:

Last edited: