Stupid question, anyone concealed carry on a bike?

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I do not. But I was surprised when this topic came up on a local riding forum (PNW Riders) Apparently a lot more people carry that I imagined. I thought it was a crazy thought until we had that recent shooting and manhunt near Mt Ranier. It does not sound crazy anymore.

S

Shamus McFeeley

This is a subject I have some experience on, so allow me to ramble on for a bit. Before anything, I would make this assertion:

If you choose to carry a weapon you have already made the choice to use it. That means the possibility of taking a life. If you have the slightest inclination that you would be unable to do that, please don't ever carry a firearm.

With that out of the way, your options depend on a few factors:

1) what you are going to carry.
2) what you are going to use to carry.
3) Weather your riding in. (hard to draw with heavy winter gloves!)
4) Type of gear you use.
5) How available do you want your weapon to be.
6) Places you're going to be riding to.

I'll discuss these in order:

1) You've got to decide what you want to carry. You've got choices with everything between a mares leg and a .380 kel-tec. Choice is going to be personal, but smaller will ultimately be better. The real decision that you'll have to make will be revolver vs. semi-auto. They both have plentiful offerings from manufacturers in both features and caliber.

2) Now you'll have to decide what you're going to use to carry. This also ties in with how available you want your weapon to be. I've used IWB (in the waist band) holsters with success during the summer months. If you're carrying something like a Ruger LCR, a pocket holster might work as well. Depending on the type of footwear you use, an ankle holster could be a possibility.

3) Obviously it's easier to carry in winter because we all wear more clothes. For the rider though, that means heavier gloves. Don't expect to be able to draw reliably unless you're bare handed. I usually put my gloves on last for this very reason.

4) Touched a little on this already, but gear is going to impact your carrying options. High boots will negate you wearing an ankle holster, a full aerostitch suit is going to preclude you from being able to carry IWB.

5) You've got to decide how available you need your weapon to be. If you don't think you'll need to carry it on your person until you get to your destination, then don't. Use your tailbag/tankbag to stow it until you get to where your going. With a little ingenuity, it's possible to adapt a holster to fit in a tankbag/tailbag.

6) Firearm laws (especially when pertaining to handguns) are fickle from county to county, let alone state to state. Make sure you know the laws, and for god sake follow them. The worst thing ever is a gun owner who is ignorant to the laws. It only makes the general public and LEOs distrust gun owners as a whole that much less. You've also got to make sure that the establishment you're going to will allow CCW. Laws vary, and some places will now allow CCW, and won't always advertise it clearly. Have a back up plan to stow your weapon in case you have to go somewhere it's not allowed.

Those are my thoughts, borne of experience, for whatever $.02 they're worth.

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't looked into a carry on the bike yet.. but my buddy has a very small .380 he keeps in his front or back pocket during rides. you never know i guess..

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
IWB small of the back carry. Florida recently passed laws protecting registered concealed carry permit holders against accidental exposure. Florida also keeps preemption rights on the laws. IOW the state's laws are the laws. Period.

Makes it nice to carry out here.

And if you choose to carry, be sure and do some research on terminal ballistics. It's good to have that knowledge and mindset should the worst happen.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I conceal carry daily with exception of work as we're not allowed to have concealed firearms on the base.

On the bike I carry in a tank bag. I don't like having a 2 pound hunk of polymer and steel on my hip or against my ribs incase of a get off. Any problem i encounter while on the bike i should be able to just ride away from. When I get off the bike my tank bag comes with me.

When not riding the bike I'm generally carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock position in a pancake holster. Usually a GLOCK 26. Sometimes a 17

Sent from my iPhone

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
I carry daily as well with an IWB holster on my bike. Strong side hip carry, but need a jacket to hide it better with the wind and all. Pretty comfortable with the exception of the Sig grip. Scratches like hell sometimes

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is one example of interesting stats to investigate when you are pursuing the idea to carry. Training is very important and even with training many are surprised and fail in actual combat. Research and training are paramount when deciding to carry.

Combat Shooting

You will no doubt encounter more life threatening scenarios trying to avoid a cell phone/texter than responding to a violent situation where deadly force is required.
Unless of course, you live in a really bad part of the world.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!:D

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is one example of interesting stats to investigate when you are pursuing the idea to carry. Training is very important and even with training many are surprised and fail in actual combat. Research and training are paramount when deciding to carry.

Combat Shooting

You will no doubt encounter more life threatening scenarios trying to avoid a cell phone/texter than responding to a violent situation where deadly force is required.
Unless of course, you live in a really bad part of the world.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!:D

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been a fan of the Glock 17 and 19, but if you want a bit more stopping power, the Glock 23. (which, due to the porting, I find more accurate than the 9mm)

Last time I did a reshoot (9mm minimum, but I went with the .40!), I tried the instructors Berreta 92 (9mm), and if felt nice, but, for me, didn't shoot as accurately as the Glock 23)

I understand the wish not to be too mainstream, but the Glocks are popular because they're fantastic pistols - and if you NEED it, I would (and do!) trust a Glock over some random, rare model, you chose just to be seen to be different.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: And as you 'concealed carry on a bike', I'm in Oz, so not an option - I carry for work only. Just commenting on the reliability and ease of use of the Glocks

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
YOu never know around your home or normal places you hang out either. If I could magically predict when something bad would happen I wouldn't be there when it did happen. This is why you carry all the time or as much as possible if you are in a situation like mine where you can't carry at a place of employment or something like that.

Like I said in my first post on this thread carrying concealed on the bike on your person would concern me in the case of a getoff. The pistol isn't going to bend when you land on it, but you will and a broken hip or pelvis, or a broken rib with possible punctured lung are going to take a while to heal.

Also past getting your concealed carry license seriously consider some professional training and don't fall into the shooting only for qualification trap. Shooting is a perishable skill and "if you don't use it you lose it". Get out to the range and practice when possible take defensive pistol classes, shoot some IDPA or USPSA matches anything to get out on the range and put some lead down range.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWo2lS8GtxA&list=UU8AHz-9CXcxNi5WlDOtYhPA&index=38&feature=plcp"]Defensive Concepts NC Defensive Pistol Course - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFmui-8QPBU&list=UU8AHz-9CXcxNi5WlDOtYhPA&index=17&feature=plcp"]White Room - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuNEzOFBUY&list=UU8AHz-9CXcxNi5WlDOtYhPA&index=10&feature=plcp"]DAPS IDPA 25 JUL 2010 STAGE 3 - YouTube[/ame]

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2731911903120

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I wear Icon Arc pants and carry it on my strong side. The Icon pants are nice because they're zippered and I don't have any worries that it will fall out while riding.

I know some folks will ask why a person would carry a concealed weapon while riding their motorcycle. My answer is simple... I'm a L.E.O. and I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have one.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have been around guns forever, both my parents were cops and i grew up on a ranch, that being said i believe any class on how to better control something that is potentially deadly (car, gun, bike, ect.) is always a good idea.
i think the handlebar mount would be ideal simply because if you do go down you don't have to worry about landing on it and causing ore damage to yourself

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
i have been around guns forever, both my parents were cops and i grew up on a ranch, that being said i believe any class on how to better control something that is potentially deadly (car, gun, bike, ect.) is always a good idea.
i think the handlebar mount would be ideal simply because if you do go down you don't have to worry about landing on it and causing ore damage to yourself

In some states a handlebar mount wouldn't be an option. Here in Texas for instance the pistol has to be in a concealed position. Now the way they define concealed leaves a lot of that decision on the officer who pulls you over but ya know.

On that token I could sling my AR15 over my back and ride wherever lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
YOu never know around your home or normal places you hang out either. If I could magically predict when something bad would happen I wouldn't be there when it did happen. This is why you carry all the time or as much as possible if you are in a situation like mine where you can't carry at a place of employment or something like that.

Like I said in my first post on this thread carrying concealed on the bike on your person would concern me in the case of a getoff. The pistol isn't going to bend when you land on it, but you will and a broken hip or pelvis, or a broken rib with possible punctured lung are going to take a while to heal.

Also past getting your concealed carry license seriously consider some professional training and don't fall into the shooting only for qualification trap. Shooting is a perishable skill and "if you don't use it you lose it". Get out to the range and practice when possible take defensive pistol classes, shoot some IDPA or USPSA matches anything to get out on the range and put some lead down range.

This was what I was trying to express previously. You need to train!

My Father was an expert marksman(Military) He told us don't kill animals unless we need to eat. Plink away sons Plink away! A firearm was more like a pool stick to us and we really didn't have a strong association with harming others but we could defend ourselves should the need arise. Later I had other firearms training.
My mom was an expert with knives forks n spoons (army brat) and taught us how to cook, sew our torn socks/garments and GI the corners on those beds!
I was blessed with awesome parents!

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
This was what I was trying to express previously. You need to train!

My Father was an expert marksman(Military) He told us don't kill animals unless we need to eat. Plink away sons Plink away! A firearm was more like a pool stick to us and we really didn't have a strong association with harming others but we could defend ourselves should the need arise. Later I had other firearms training.
My mom was an expert with knives forks n spoons (army brat) and taught us how to cook, sew our torn socks/garments and GI the corners on those beds!
I was blessed with awesome parents!

I have a retired Air Force colonel as a grandfather, and my stepfather, whom i lived with and was very close too, was a retired Marine, i know exactly what you are talking about:thumbup:

cable

Reaction score
Visit site
I carry daily. If I'm just riding around town I use an iwb holster. On longer trips I use my tank bag.