Strange pulsing from engine

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I may have heard this day in and day out but i really only took note of it yesterday.

Can you please answer me this question:

When you switch on your engine and its idling and when you apply a very small bit of throttle (just when it bites) does the engine sound increase gradually or does it pulse?

so instead of vruuuuuummmmmmmm

it goes vrum vrum vrum vrum vrum....

mine does the whole pulsing effect (sounds like petrol is not as plentiful as you may think...but i've a full tank) and was wondering if my idle is not set correctly, or its got something to do with the K&N filter I fitted or if there's something else I dont quite understand happening. I'm not worried too much...its probably natural but after 12,000 miles i've only really listened to the engine yesterday.

:ban: me for such a simplistic question!! :rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how long since you replaced the plugs? sounds almost like the very beginning of a plug or two starting to go bad and they are not providing the full spark at "low" rpm's

Could also be nothing wrong, but with FI bikes they should bog a tiny if cold or increase smoothly if warmed up (from my limited knowledge)

Last edited:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah...never thought about the plugs...now that could be the very thing that is causing it!!

I haven't actually bothered to check when plugs need replacing...do you know off hand?

O and after 12,500 miles or so...no new plugs have been put in the bike!! I'll get some this weekend if need be.