Stock 08 Ninja650 vs. Stock 08 FZ6

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend bought the red 08 Ninja 650 a few days after I purchased the black 08 FZ6. We were curious to see which bike is faster, so we raced today in a safe location with no traffic.

Off the line, he had me. As soon as I kicked it into second, i took him and left him in my smoke. I know though its likely he didn't use the full potential of his bike, nor did I.

I guess my question would be, through your guys' experience, which is faster off the line (not top speed)?

I know the FZ6 has redlines from 14,000 - 16,000 RPMs, but the FZ6 is only a 5 speed (my model). The Ninja has 6 speeds, but redlines from 9,000 - 12,000 RPMs (I believe). What kind of effect does this have on performance? - having an additional gear and lower RPMs vs 1 less gear and higher RPM.

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
??? U lost me... U have the fz but you only have 5 gears? on an 08? I just got my 08 fazer and I've got six... If you've only got five you better get that thing back to whoever sold it to you. As for the 650... Shud be leaned in your favor. All the fz grunt is above 7k. All about hi revs and clutch control.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If ridden to their limits, the FZ6 will spank the 650 in every measure. When it comes to everyday riding, the 650 will shine more than the FZ6 in certain respects. Never heard of a 5-speed FZ6.

C

CombatPenguin

The fz6 has a 6 speed transmission if you can only use 5 you might want to take it in. As for the other part I can't say for sure but I do know the fz6 motor is a 4 cylinder compared to the ninja's 2 plus some other diferences.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm telling you its got 5 gears. I can only up shift or downshift 4 times. That's really not cool. How could that be?

I'm not that retarded that I would drive it around for 4 months and not know about my sixth gear.

That doesn't sit well with me now, I have to look into that. Could be it be that there's another model? Maybe I miscounted but I'm confident I only have 5 gears. 4 up shifts = 5th gear

Either something's wrong - or I really do have only 5 gears... or both.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
1 down and 5 up for the transmission, and the FZ will beat the ninja hands down. The ninja has a Horsepower Peak of 72 bhp@8,500 rpm and the FZ has 97HP@ 12,000 rpm. Thats a 25 horsepower difference!:rockon:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm telling you its got 5 gears. I can only up shift or downshift 4 times. That's really not cool. How could that be?

I'm not that retarded that I would drive it around for 4 months and not know about my sixth gear.

That doesn't sit well with me now, I have to look into that. Could be it be that there's another model? Maybe I miscounted but I'm confident I only have 5 gears. 4 up shifts = 5th gear

Either something's wrong - or I really do have only 5 gears... or both.

1 down, 5 up=6 gears. If you can't do that, you need to take the bike in and have it checked out. Period. You don't have some rare model. You have a broken bike.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the safety class and I try to use those skills at all times to the best of my ability. I am new to the bike though and the terminology.

Instead of criticising, help me figure this out. Because that still isn't making sense to me, 4th gear, i downshift 1 and get to 3rd, and so on. Thats how i understood it. If its different, please explain it to me.

cws6fan

Parrothead
Reaction score
Visit site
Chunky, If you're setting on the FZ with it in neutral, how would you shift to take off? Do you shift up or down to go to first?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the safety class and I try to use those skills at all times to the best of my ability. I am new to the bike though and the terminology.

Instead of criticising, help me figure this out. Because that still isn't making sense to me, 4th gear, i downshift 1 and get to 3rd, and so on. Thats how i understood it. If its different, please explain it to me.

From Neutral, you push down on the shifter to drop into 1st. Lift up for 2nd-6th. You should be able to lift it 5 times (not counting neutral) from 1st.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Shift_patterns.jpg

Sitting on the bike with in neutral, shift down 1, up 5... see Standardized image above

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, and I'm not being condescending here, you are pulling in the clutch before shifting gears.....right?

We aren't trying to be mean here, this is just sort of a fundamental concept of motorcycling, the fact that you don't seem to understand it is a bit confusing to most of us. Again, not being condescending, just trying to explain.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
The ninja will get you off the line. But in top end the FZ will take it. I have a friend who has one and we do track days together. When it comes to corners we are just about the same. Sometimes he will lead for 10 laps or so then i will get ahead. It all depends on the rider. Last month i couldnt seem to get past him where the month before i had 3 to 4 bike lengths on him the whole time.

Every FZ has 6 gears. I asked a buddy of mine who works for yamaha and he said if you dont have 6 gears you got problems. I dont think the european models have 5 gears?:confused:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
1 down and 5 up for the transmission, and the FZ will beat the ninja hands down. The ninja has a Horsepower Peak of 72 bhp@8,500 rpm and the FZ has 97HP@ 12,000 rpm. Thats a 25 horsepower difference!:rockon:

I say ride a ninja 650 before doggin it about horsepower. It is not all about horse power. Like i said before i ride with a guy at the track and we are neck and neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.