Spark plugs. What a pain

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
Removed air box. Battery and then plugs. What a pain. Thought this approach would be easier

Any other ways you guys / girls know?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like allot of extra work going in from the top. Personally I'd opt for dropping the two bolts from the left side of the radiator. It will settle down a few inches and leave you plenty of room to access the plugs from the right side.

Many things can affect the plugs color and smell. If just ran for a few minutes and shut off, it may smell like gas ever so faintly from being shut down before the plugs reach temperature and burn off the fuel deposits.

How many miles on the bike and why did you pull the plugs? In most cases the OEM plugs are done by 12 - 15,000 miles.

Read post 1 and look at post 6 for how much clearance you get by dropping the radiator bolts. Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Going thru the top is NOT needed and unnecessary.

I didn't even un-bolt the radiator (same year bike too)
I went thru the right side, used the factory spark plug socket along with some other wrenches, etc.

I was able to get a torque wrench in there as well for ALL 4 plugs(one click on the rachet end at a time but torqued down)..
My hands are fairly large and did get scruffed up some but it didn't take 30 minutes...

+1 ^^ re the plugs being wet.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the bike? A non PC'ed, basically stock with aftermarket pipes, are generally getting 45-50 MPG (US).

With the cooler weather/lower humidity, I noticed my mileage has gone up a little bit as well.

Last edited:

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
15000 miles changed them because i waz getting a gas smell. Scorpion cans. Knn. No.pc3. I use it fairly...by reDing this. I wont do that anymore

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 23k miles before I finally changed mine out, because I was wary of this job. As mentioned above, I'd definitely go with the right side/unbolt radiator brackets approach.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember it being such a pain in the ass when I did mine, maybe I had a swivle ratchet?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me validate - this is a total PITA job to do. Actually removing the airbox and battery sounds appealing.

I changed plugs twice and the only way I could get to the 2 left side plugs was to undo the radiator hose and remove/replace from the left. Anyone with normal sized hands would find this difficult. For me a bit worse with my mitts.

I hate changing plugs and wish I had gone with iridiums to increase the maintenance interval

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember it being such a pain in the ass when I did mine, maybe I had a swivle ratchet?

I put in the iridiums for this reason and expected it to be a PIA.

I took my time, (have about every tool you could want) and did it in no more than 40 minutes tops...Without touching the radiator mounts, etc...

I do remember several plugs (maybe #1 and #2), I could only get one click on the racket (then torque wrench(clicker) at the time when tightening down.

A little di-lectric grease on the rubber part of the spark plug cap where it snaps into the valve cover, makes putting the wires on Way EASIER..

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with Townsends, not my favorite job but not that bad. Just takes time and careful tedious working of the tubes and wires to get the spark plug wires off. I changed mine 4 times or so. Once was when I checked the valve clearances - that was the easiest. Getting to where I could check the valve clearances was not so much fun.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Removing two bolts nearly doubles your free room and it takes 1minute. You have everything to gain and nothing to loose. It will save you more time than it costs you! :thumbup:

And anyone going in would be advised to verify the caps are snug on the wires otherwise you have this group of folks crying about how "this bike" vibrates too much... FIX IT while your there! JM2C! Follow link in 3rd post...

Have fun...
IMG_20140916_182334_833WEB_zpsf3c8becc.jpg

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I made it through with no drama via unmounting the radiator as above. Having large hands slowed things down but still easy enough with the Fizzer toolkit.