Recommend me a cover

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a new bike cover. Catch is I live in NYC and am wondering if there is one that somehow locks underneath so the parking people can't get to my plate if I park on the sidewalk. Also I need it to be able to be locked to the post when I go for a ride so its still there when I return. Is there anything like that out there? Also what size should I get for the fizzy, can't remember what I used to have think maybe a medium?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Oxford storm cover that is elasticised and a pain to put on and take off so good for making it chore for the plod to get to the plate and yes it's a medium it also has provision for adding locks a nd chains thru the cover

I use it everyday and while a pain to put on and take off it fits pretty snugly and keeps it clean and well protected but I have it in my backyard with a disc lock and nothing chained to a post etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I think mine was a Dowco Guardian. It had I thing a loop system as well as the elastic around the bottom. Also had pockets to put a separate alarm unit in

Szut

Just got here...
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Dowco Guardian Weatherall that I'm not using if you're interested. You can put a cable lock on it, it's gray and black, either medium or large. It fits my Fz6 with Givi hard cases.

P.S. Your inbox is full

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I literally wore out my DOWCO cover (black and silver, a higher end cover)years ago, after years in the Florida sun before I retired...

I e-mailed them with pic's where I re-sewed the cover several times but the material was so worn out, there was nothing left to sew.

They replaced the cover, NO CHARGE, no questions asked... Still have that cover and use it occassionally..

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have had 2 covermax deluxe's since buying in 05. first one lasted till 2011. next one really has not done well and im about tho buy another one. the bike has always stayed outside except during the winter. i will probably buy another covermax, but the nelsons look pretty good too and i have heard nothing but good things...

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I second (third?) the Dowco recommendation. Mine lasted a few years and eventually got ripped from snow. Dowco replaced it for free. It was a real pain in the butt to get them to do it, but they did it.

If you have off-street parking, I highly recommend Bike Barn. It's expensive, but awesome. It's really nice to just ride the bike in and close the lid, without having to wait for the bike to dry or cool down. It has the ability to bolt it down to a driveway and lock as well (not that a lock would stop somebody from taking a knife to a canvas cover, but it'll stop people from poking around.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Dowco guardian weatherall plus in medium size for me. I don't have a tank bag or any luggage on the bike, but there's room for a huge tank bag and a small tailbag with the medium, while still covering the brake discs. There's also large plastic reinforced gromets on both side bottoms that I pass a pistol cable lock through under the bike. The windscreen part has felt too. The only bad part is the fancy heat resistant fabric is down by the swingarm, not where the fz6 cans are. It's heavy canvas-type fabric on the bottom third. Waaaay better than my previous one made out of umbrella/windbreaker polyester.

6avy6y4e.jpg

8ydyja3e.jpg

py7ege2y.jpg

Edit: before anyone asks, the bike is on a harbor freight motorcycle dolly. And I love it for my small garage.

Last edited:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I think that is the one that I used to have until someone stole it. Might have to look into that cable lock. The one thing I worry about is using my alarm with perimeter sensor.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I think that is the one that I used to have until someone stole it. Might have to look into that cable lock. The one thing I worry about is using my alarm with perimeter sensor.

Depending on the type alarm, you have, you should be able to turn the sensativity down.

I don't honestly know if the movement of the cover in the wind would even activate the perimeter alarm.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dowco guardian weatherall plus in medium size for me. I don't have a tank bag or any luggage on the bike, but there's room for a huge tank bag and a moderate top case with the medium, while still covering the brake discs. There's also large plastic reinforced gromets on both side bottoms that I pass a pistol cable lock through under the bike. The windscreen part has felt too. The only bad part is the fancy heat resistant fabric is down by the swingarm, not where the fz6 cans are. It's heavy canvas-type fabric on the bottom third. Waaaay better than my previous one made out of umbrella/windbreaker polyester.

6avy6y4e.jpg

8ydyja3e.jpg

py7ege2y.jpg

Edit: before anyone asks, the bike is on a harbor freight motorcycle dolly. And I love it for my small garage.

Excellent idea using the pistol lock BTW! Just pulled my spare lock out, it'll be under the seat today!

Last edited:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I also use a pistol lock on the road as a helmet lock to the handlebar clamp. They're pretty handy. I don't like the idea of the helmet being urinal height.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to get too off topic, but depending on the lenth of the cable, I've used the cable, to go thru the arm of a jacket, then lock it to the bike(helmet lock).

Mainly used if your somewhere and don't want to carry your jacket around all day.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Covermax Deluxe, Small. Southern Indiana gets enough rain / heat to wear out anything and this one seems to hold up well enough. Had one on my Honda VTX for a few years.

The generic $40 version is absolute crap, however. After about 2 weeks, the standard version will be as thin as a cheap sheet. Spend the $80 and get the deluxe or the "heavy duty" version if you can find it. The Deluxe has the grommets, elastic, breather vent, tie-down strap, etc.

It's all they sell in this area.