Rear tire is flat

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello folks,
My bike was sitting in the garage for the past week and then yesterday I noticed that I couldnt move it,checked the rear and saw that it had no pressure. Using a bicycle pump I brought the pressure up to 40 psi, I put the bike on its center stand and checked the pressure some 6 hours later, the pressure had dropped to 20 psi, and then this morning it was hovering about 10 psi.

Couldn't find any holes on the bike, my question for you folks is:
How do I proceed in this case, without having located the source of the problem. What should I be looking for in case I am unable to find any holes.

If I do have to replace the rear tire which brand would you recommend for my 07 FZ6?
Thanks

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily you have a centrestand, get a container with water in that you can fit under the rear wheel, submerging it to the rim, then rotate the wheel and look for bubbles. It could also be the valve, some spit on you finger then in the valve will tell you that.

If the hole is in the tread area you can get a mushroom plug that will patch it from the inside. Perfectly safe, I have one in my rear tyre and one in a tyre on my car.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Use soapy water in a spray bottle. Fill the tire to about 40psi and spray the soapy water solution on tire you should see bubbles where the leak is. You will get a lot of suggestions on new tires here. I replaced my tires last season with shinko ravens they were better than stock and cheaper than some other brands.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Both of the above suggestions are great ways to find a leak, soapy water in a spray bottle or in a tune either one works great. You obviously have a leak somewhere so once you find it, see what's causing it then we can give you better ideas on what to do. Maybe if you get lucky it will be in the valve stem and maybe really lucky and be the valve core. So find the leak and we can go from there. And FWIW I also am a big fan of the shinko 009 ravens, great tire with a incredible price!

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellas, So after doing the recommended tests to find the puncture I was able to locate a small piece of sharp debris that was stuck to the tire, created a barely visible hole , hence causing a slow leak.

I currently have the Metzeler Sportec M3's both front and rear. Should I stick with these? The front looks fairly good at this point, or should I just go for a complete set and upgrade to one of the following

Bridgestone BT016 Pro's (Unless there is a newer model)/BT 023
Metzler Z8 Interact
Michelin Pilot Road 2/3
Pirelli Angel ST

Which one of the above would you choose

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin 2 or 3 IMHO... I have the 2's and love em...Combo compound(hard in the middle, softer on the sides), the 3's are better for the rain, do some research.

It also depends on what type of riding you do, sport, highway, etc on which tire is best for you.

If the ft tire is about worn out, I'd change that out too. The thinner they get, the easier they are to puncture.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bridgestone BT016 Pro's (Unless there is a newer model)/BT 023
Metzler Z8 Interact
Michelin Pilot Road 2/3
Pirelli Angel ST

Which one of the above would you choose

Well having just moved onto the Metzler Z8's from the OEM dunlops
I am all for them, nice grip wet/dry and good wear projection, :thumbup:
but I cant give any opinion on the others. I guess you wouldnt be going wrong with any of them really except there have been limited reports of the Michys delaminating, but for all that have been installed, the reports have not been coming through on a regular basis...... and who is to say there have not been unreported issues with other brands

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
I have some friends here that own a local shop (The Helmet Center: Down For Maintenance). They price match, so I found that Chaparral Motorsports - Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Gear had the best price I could find on Michelin PR2's. I asked my buddy and he was able to meet the price locally. It never hurts to make friends at the local parts shop. :thumbup:

But yeah...in short...shop around online and then see if you can find a local outfit that will price match.

And I totally stand by the PR2's btw! GREAT tires!!!!