Rear suspension... I need help!!!

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody knows how i can seperate my rear suspension?
I really don't know technical words so i'm descriping my problem as simple as possible.
I want to seperate the part with the yellow arrow from the part with the red arrow as shown in the picture.

amortiser.jpg

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken you simply unscrew it. I'm sure you'd have to lock down the rod somehow though.

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly what im thinking about it, but if im not sure its very possible to destroy the rod trying to lock it down.
I have to know for sure because if something goes wrong i'm gonna have to find a new rear suspension!!!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Someone recently did this with an OEM rear shock.... they unscrewed the 'eye' from the end of the rod, cut it 'eye' piece (red arrow) shorter, and then tapped a new hole in it to screw the rod (yellow) back into.

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
So, you are saying to cut the rod at the bottom, make o hall and screw it back in???
I really dont think that is a good idea...

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. He said they un-screwed the block (red arrow) from the rod (yellow arrow), then cut some off of the block, made a new hole and tapped a thread into it, then screwed it back onto the rod.

You can use a Vise, (vice in our country..lol), just make sure you have 2 bits of wood between the jaws of the Vise and place the rod between the wood, tighten the vise and unscrew the block from the rod.

:rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your looking to just shorten or remove it (the white spacer/cushion), I'd take a dremel tool with a thin cutting wheel and cut off (CLOSEST TO THE MOUNTING EYE).

If you nick the shaft, (near the eye) it won't make a difference as the seal will never be up that far...

Should that still have to come apart, move the white down the shaft and if you have to clamp, clamp it adjacent to the eye- under where the spacer would be (again, the seal won't come near this even if nicked up)...

Scott

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. He said they un-screwed the block (red arrow) from the rod (yellow arrow), then cut some off of the block, made a new hole and tapped a thread into it, then screwed it back onto the rod.

You can use a Vise, (vice in our country..lol), just make sure you have 2 bits of wood between the jaws of the Vise and place the rod between the wood, tighten the vise and unscrew the block from the rod.

:rockon:

correct! here is a link for what i did http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/22617-diy-lowering-couple-other-upgrades.html

now on removing the "end" if you take a small pipe wrench and hold the "shaft" of the shock where the rubber snubber is supossed to be ( as close as you can to the "end" (as shown in pic)) then if you mark it a little then the chances that the part of the shaft under the snubber even passing the seal on the shock end is very slim (as the snubber will cover it) if you take and lightly sand the marked spot so it is smooth and not sharp spots on the shaft even if it does travel that far the small amount that it will travel on that part wouldnt tear the seal up.

2699941081_333e591098.jpg

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
I have fitted a fork from a Suzuki GSXR1000 K6 to my fazer and i want to adjust the rear part of the bike. I want my tail 1,5cm lower than standard.
After i'll finish with the rear suspension, the bike will be -3cm to the front and -1,5cm to the rear.
The center o gravity is gonna be lower and the front wheel is gonna be less charged. I mean that, right now because of the shorter fork thlish ere is too much weight at the front wheel. After i'll finish with the rear, the weight is gonna be less.
I cannot explain it better. My english is not that good!