Question about preload adjustment

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a smaller rider (160lbs) so I have set my preload to 2, I was just curious is there any disadvantages for a lighter rider to set the preload to a higher number?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Disadvantage is compromised traction and bouncier ride.
When suspension is set up correctly, you should have enough sag so that when you ride over a dip, the wheel can drop in and absorb the bump as you ride out. Not enough sag and the wheel can't drop.. instead entire rear of the bike drops and as you ride out it hits the bump and bounces the back of the bike up.
Best preload setting should provide maximum traction and minimum bouncing.
There's only so much you can do with preload though. This is why high end absorbers have separate rebound damping and 2 levels of compression damping (high speed and low speed).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To start you need to determine suspension sag.

Get a friend to help. With you off of the bike measure from a given point to the ground. You need to do this at the front and the rear of the bike. Then sit on the bike, feet off the ground, and measure again. Then compare the two measurements. You are looking for a difference of 25 to 35 mm. For street riding 35 is a good place to begin, for sport riding 25.

On the FZ6 you are very limited rear preload only. Adjust the preload until you are within range.

There isn't anything you can do about the front end unless you remove the fork caps and cut the spacer to the needed sag, its not hard to do, just take a little bit of time. With the front spring being so light you are most likely in the range to begin with.

Don't worry about what number your preload is set to but what the measurements tell you. After you make a change, if you do, ride it for a few days and see that you think.

Here's some more specifics:

Race Tech - Setting Sag

Ask the Geek - Set Your Static Sag - Sport Rider Magazine

You can also play around with this to see what Race Tech recommends for spring rates.

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/Sp...=FZ6&formuse=form1&SpringType=Fork&bikeid=524

Last edited:

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ + to get the initial measurement you need to take the wheel off the ground. If you're doing the back only, put the bike on the centerstand and take the first measurement from there.