Need Help Help! Clicking sound! Yamatick or something else?

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Just bought this 2007 fz6 fazer and I'm hearing a clicking. With throttle it gets faster, but I can't hear it due to the exhaust. There are a few noises in the video below, but the main one I'm worries about it most prominent toward the rear right side. Cct? Valve adjustment? Or just normal?

This is my first motorcycle, but I've worked on cars a bit and it just doesn't sound normal, but if it is, please let me know.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
The CCT is known to be a little noisy. It' sounds like your idle is a little high. Mybe this was done when the engine was cold?
I'm not hearing anything scary. When was the last valve lash done and what are the mile?

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, engine was warm, roughly 190° after a 20 min ride. Milage is about 12k and I don't know anything about the service history. When I got it, I changed the oil, and coolant. The coolant was very dark, likely never changed. But new coolant has stayed good.

When at the rear of the bike, the clicking gets pretty loud. I'll take a better video and Rev the throttle, and I'll do a video of the cold start as well.

It has gotten a bit louder since i first purchased it as well.

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
The idle is already chilling at about 1100, there is a really prominent clicking and a chirp/whistle from the right side.

The clicking you are hearing is NOT the exhaust, it is louder on a cold start and goes a bit quieter (not much) when warm.

You can hear it very pronounced before the first Rev.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say that the noise is at the right rear side, are you talking about the number 4 cylinder or the clutch? If the cylinder I’d be inspecting the timing chain and the CCT. If the clutch I’d pull the cover, looking for a broken spring or a worn basket. Does the noise disappear when you pull the clutch lever?

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say that the noise is at the right rear side, are you talking about the number 4 cylinder or the clutch? If the cylinder I’d be inspecting the timing chain and the CCT. If the clutch I’d pull the cover, looking for a broken spring or a worn basket. Does the noise disappear when you pull the clutch lever?
It does not dissappear when pulling in the clutch, and is present wether in neutral or not.

Is there a way to determine if my cct is going bad?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Visual inspection. Page 5-14 of the FSM provides the way to measure the Cam Chain, Guides and Tensioner. It is worth the effort to remove the right cover to inspect the condition of the guides. However with that said, if one of the guides has failed (there are two) they usually present a noise when the engine is accelerating or decelerating (depending if it the intake guide or exhaust guide).

Do you have access to a stethoscope? You you know the broom handle trick (poor mans stethoscope)?

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
Visual inspection. Page 5-14 of the FSM provides the way to measure the Cam Chain, Guides and Tensioner. It is worth the effort to remove the right cover to inspect the condition of the guides. However with that said, if one of the guides has failed (there are two) they usually present a noise when the engine is accelerating or decelerating (depending if it the intake guide or exhaust guide).

Do you have access to a stethoscope? You you know the broom handle trick (poor mans stethoscope)?
As said above, the noise is constant! Neutral or in gear, accelerating or decelerating. I will try and pin point it with the stethoscope trick. Hoping this isn't too serious

saggyface

Reaction score
Visit site
So, this clicking was just not making sense! I was doing the Walmart stethoscope trick and the clicking was nowhere to be found. Do some poking around and just happened to feel a hot exhaust leak right after the y bend on the scorpion exhaust flange. Took a rag and squeezed on the hole and sure enough, clicking is gone. Just got some copper exhaust gasket maker and popped off the exhaust. Put some on it and put the exhaust back on. Will find out for sure if it worked tomorrow. If so, couldn't have been an easier fix.