Power Delivery

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Under the tank is what I like to call tediously convenient. Everything is very straightforward, but may take some wiggling to get back where it should be. I'm assuming they'd have a plug in like the battery tender. That went on in less than 20 min.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
What have you got the rear shock adjusted too ? coz this isnt a problem for me :D

I have it set to 7 now. But now my ass feels every bump in the road.

When I first bought the bike it was set to 3, and there's burn marks on the rear hugger from my exhaust bottoming out on it.

The R6 fork mod really helped with the front, but heavier springs/oil would help too.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I am a cruiser rider thinking of getting an FZ6. I have a 1998 Suzuki Marauder.

A friend of mine has an FZ6, and it is the first and only sport-style bike that I have found comfortable to sit on.

I have heard that I-4 bikes have really fast (potentially dangerous) power delivery as opposed to V-twins.

So, I am thinking about getting an FZ6, but I worry about things like that.

FWIW, I am 6' and 370lbs.

I like you have a cruiser '98 honda shadow aero. That bike is great for what it was designed for. I wanted something for "fun". After totaling a VFR I saw the fz6. One word to describe it WOW

Acceleration is better than the 800 cc VFR (non VTEC). handling is better. there seems to be no limit to how far this thing can be leaned over. you'll run out of tire before anything.:thumbup:

Oaksong

Reaction score
Visit site
I like you have a cruiser '98 honda shadow aero. That bike is great for what it was designed for. I wanted something for \"fun\". After totaling a VFR I saw the fz6. One word to describe it WOW

Acceleration is better than the 800 cc VFR (non VTEC). handling is better. there seems to be no limit to how far this thing can be leaned over. you'll run out of tire before anything.:thumbup:

What I am looking for is a bike that is comfy to ride around town and for hour+ long trips on the highway.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
What I am looking for is a bike that is comfy to ride around town and for hour+ long trips on the highway.

I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. I'll go out and ride twisties for 3 to 4 hours a day. If your looking for something to cruise around on stay with the cruiser. I've kept two because it depends on what mood i'm in as to what i ride. If i want something mellow and see the scenery i take the shadow. if i need and adrenalin fix i take the fz

Oaksong

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'3\" and 225 lbs. I'll go out and ride twisties for 3 to 4 hours a day. If your looking for something to cruise around on stay with the cruiser. I've kept two because it depends on what mood i'm in as to what i ride. If i want something mellow and see the scenery i take the shadow. if i need and adrenalin fix i take the fz

The cruiser isn't comfy to ride for long stints. The cruiser layout is rough on the lower back. Nor does my bike have particularly good passing power on the highway. And a 3.4 gallon fuel tank (including reserve) + 38 mpg... no long stents happening there.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The cruiser isn't comfy to ride for long stints. The cruiser layout is rough on the lower back. Nor does my bike have particularly good passing power on the highway. And a 3.4 gallon fuel tank (including reserve) + 38 mpg... no long stents happening there.

WOW , that is awful range out of the tank isnt.....The FZ6 wil get you 320 kilometre's out of a tank of economical cruising all day :D , so whats the work out ummmm somewhere round the 190 mile mark i think :don'tknow:.....The FZ6 has a 19 litre or 5 gallon tank , so thats what 39/40 mile to the gallon :thumbup:.....Gee thats maths for ya , WOW i havent done the since school :D , now im wonder if ive got it all right....

Oaksong

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW , that is awful range out of the tank isnt.....The FZ6 wil get you 320 kilometre's out of a tank of economical cruising all day :D , so whats the work out ummmm somewhere round the 190 mile mark i think :don'tknow:.....The FZ6 has a 19 litre or 5 gallon tank , so thats what 39/40 mile to the gallon :thumbup:.....Gee thats maths for ya , WOW i havent done the since school :D , now im wonder if ive got it all right....

Yeah, without hitting reserve, and due to there being some extra space at the top of the tank, I get about 90 miles between fuel-ups on the Marauder. Ick.

I am not really into sport riding (like zooming around super fast) but I am a believer in performance for the sake of safety - plenty of times on my marauder I saw traffic conditions where if somehting went wrong I would want to accelerate, turn, or brake faster than the bike could do.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, without hitting reserve, and due to there being some extra space at the top of the tank, I get about 90 miles between fuel-ups on the Marauder. Ick.

I am not really into sport riding (like zooming around super fast) but I am a believer in performance for the sake of safety - plenty of times on my marauder I saw traffic conditions where if somehting went wrong I would want to accelerate, turn, or brake faster than the bike could do.

Well the FZ will do everything you ask of it and still have more in reserve , take your mates one for a ride and have a play...... But give it back to him , its not nicer to keep a man off his Fizzer :thumbup:

mabbott

Reaction score
Visit site

Based on the comments above, the FZ6 has what you need. It has a usable power band that doesn't get interesting until around 7,500 RPMs. It has an upright seated position so it is good for around town as well as longer trips. It doesn't have the best wind protection, but it is WAY better than a naked bike or a cruiser without a windshield.

If you get in a situation that you need to power out, as long as you are in the correct gear for your speed, then the FZ6 has all the power you need. If you ever want to enjoy the twisties without feeling like you are forcing the bike to do what you want, the FZ6 is good for that too. It is considered an all around bike because it does many things well. You can find better track bikes, better tourers, better city bikes. However, for a bike that is good at all of the above, you gotta like the FZ6.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is more than tolerable on the highway. I've made plenty of trips (2 1/2 hours) on I-94 at slightly over 65;) so the wind isn't bad... I'm 6'2 1/2 of all torso and it's not bad for me.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not sure as to how the driving exams work in the rest of the world, but in the netherlands you have 1 exam for special maneuvers, and 1 road exam.
I had my lessons and exams on a fz6, and it was easy to handle and fun to drive. normally you drive to about 6-8000 rpm before changing gears,
but when we were kinda playing around, i was amazed at how much power was available after the 8000 rpm, so now im buying a 08 fz6 for myself, because I love the bike so much :Sport: