Power Delivery

Oaksong

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I am a cruiser rider thinking of getting an FZ6. I have a 1998 Suzuki Marauder.

A friend of mine has an FZ6, and it is the first and only sport-style bike that I have found comfortable to sit on.

I have heard that I-4 bikes have really fast (potentially dangerous) power delivery as opposed to V-twins.

So, I am thinking about getting an FZ6, but I worry about things like that.

FWIW, I am 6' and 370lbs.

So, I am a cruiser rider thinking of getting an FZ6. I have a 1998 Suzuki Marauder.

A friend of mine has an FZ6, and it is the first and only sport-style bike that I have found comfortable to sit on.

I have heard that I-4 bikes have really fast (potentially dangerous) power delivery as opposed to V-twins.

So, I am thinking about getting an FZ6, but I worry about things like that.

FWIW, I am 6' and 370lbs.

No need to worry, - the power is delivered quite smooth until you hit like 7800/8000Rpm, and the the horse kicks you. But you don't get that superbike kick as soon as you think about the clutch, - you can easily start out driving keeping it out of the kick zone (below 7500Rpm).

No need to worry, - the power is delivered quite smooth until you hit like 7800/8000Rpm, and the the horse kicks you. But you don't get that superbike kick as soon as you think about the clutch, - you can easily start out driving keeping it out of the kick zone (below 7500Rpm).

What about throttle response... with the marauder, you can throw it open and it will GO, but it won't send you flying. My friend who has one says you have to be really careful about small throttle movements.

They do have a different sort of power delivery to a torquey v-twin but thats where the fun is....The FZ6 is relatively mild and easy to learn on until the tacho hits around 7500 rpm , then the grin comes in :D.....After that she is just Pull , Pull , Pull till 12000 rpm before it hops off the power curve :thumbup:....... With your weight and height your up the with me (im 130kg and 6'1") and it isnt to much to handle..... Dont fear it , get on it..... You'll wonder why you didnt do it earlier :thumbup:

What about throttle response... with the marauder, you can throw it open and it will GO, but it won't send you flying. My friend who has one says you have to be really careful about small throttle movements.

Again:

1250 - 7500 RPM : It's a gentle hard-working tourer
7800 - 14000 RPM : It's a hard kicking horse that runs away if you don't hold on.

For feather weights it may be an issue but not for me , the only gear i cant really snap open is 1st (you'll look at the sky)....2nd gear i just prepare myself for the possibility :thumbup:

For feather weights it may be an issue but not for me , the only gear i cant really snap open is 1st (you'll look at the sky)....2nd gear i just prepare myself for the possibility :thumbup:

Yeah my friend is like 1/3 my size (as are many people lol). I have thrown him and his sister over my shoulders and walked around with them HAHAHAHA.

Yeah my friend is like 1/3 my size (as are many people lol). I have thrown him and his sister over my shoulders and walked around with them HAHAHAHA.

LOL , i did that to a bloke and the bar while having Xmas drinks with work.... Just woofed him up there and carried him outside before the other guy at the bar killed him :thumbup:..... I still dont think he knows what happened , it was hilarious i got outside put him down and he just sat there , like "what just happened" ? :D

I'm a bigger guy and the FZ6 doesn't seem to notice. Performance is all there, including acceleration. The only problem is the suspension, it's really tuned for someone almost half my weight.

As others have said, don't worry about the FZ6. The clutch might be a little more sensitive than you're used to, but it's a very easy, predictable bike to ride to ride when under 8000rpm (the entire rpm range your current bike has). Beyond 8K it's a rocket, but even there you'll feel in control.

I also find the brakes are MUCH better (in terms of stopping power and control) than any cruiser I've ridden. The FZ6 handles like a dream too.

and if you want the horses early just go +2 in the rear and the power-band is around 5k, then hold on and go, go, gone.

Won't your friend let you ride his? Best way to find out what you think about the bike is to ride it.
It's only a 600 and with your size no big deal. Yes it does wake up above 7500rpm but that's just wrist control. The real fun is how nimble it is in the twistys.

PS. if you get one say goodbye to your cruiser buddies as you will get rel tired of waiting for them

Hey, I'm Oaksong's friend with the FZ6!

I agree, he definitely should try riding my bike. In fact, it would be cool to swap bikes for a couple hours, as I'm curious what it's like to ride the Marauder :)

So far, we've only swapped bikes in a parking lot once. I only got this bike a week and a half ago. Just changed the oil at 600 miles a couple days ago, and really loving it! The power is addictive, and the braking is indeed excellent.

As far as the power curve goes, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Hey, I'm Oaksong's friend with the FZ6!

I agree, he definitely should try riding my bike. In fact, it would be cool to swap bikes for a couple hours, as I'm curious what it's like to ride the Marauder :)

So far, we've only swapped bikes in a parking lot once. I only got this bike a week and a half ago. Just changed the oil at 600 miles a couple days ago, and really loving it! The power is addictive, and the braking is indeed excellent.

As far as the power curve goes, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Ahh :welcome: to the forum from the Land Down Under :D , make sure he has a turn , he will be a convert within 20 minutes..... Just dont let him out of your sight or he may never bring it back LOL :thumbup:

Ahh :welcome: to the forum from the Land Down Under :D , make sure he has a turn , he will be a convert within 20 minutes..... Just dont let him out of your sight or he may never bring it back LOL :thumbup:

LOL maybe. Right now the biggest contenders for next bike are:

FZ6, Hyosung GV650, the SV650, and the V-strom 650.

Of those, I have sat on the FZ6 and the GV650.

I haven't been able to find an SV650, and apparently they just stopped making them.

I would like ABS, but for some reason the assholes at yamaha corp. declined to bring the ABS FZ6 to the states.

370? NICE!!! I've got rear preload as snug as she'll go and still find enough squish to soak up most bumps, but it gets a little spooky when cutn up corners... You will not regret this bike! I've ridden 1450 harleys, lil asian cruisers, and this bike is hands down my favorite. My one gripe is the exhaust note being a little blender-esque, but everything sounds like a blender after a stage 2 harley lowrider. Great bike even for us big guys. Don't fear the wheelie... Tried a couple times to pick it up, and the most I got was at most about 6"... Very controllable! Like said before, this bike shines in the twisties!

370? NICE!!! I've got rear preload as snug as she'll go and still find enough squish to soak up most bumps, but it gets a little spooky when cutn up corners... You will not regret this bike! I've ridden 1450 harleys, lil asian cruisers, and this bike is hands down my favorite. My one gripe is the exhaust note being a little blender-esque, but everything sounds like a blender after a stage 2 harley lowrider. Great bike even for us big guys. Don't fear the wheelie... Tried a couple times to pick it up, and the most I got was at most about 6\"... Very controllable! Like said before, this bike shines in the twisties!

yeah, the reviews I have been reading praise the sv650 low end torque. But I wonder if those guys are racing them? I don't need to go 100mph immediately. Some smooth getup is all I need for getting around town. Then, if I need to get the **** out of the way, my cruiser has no top end so I am ****ed or I have to shift or something.

I will try riding the latest FZ6 that my friend has and hopefully I will love it. The seating is by far the most comfy I have tried, and with a handlebar extension might be the constant commuter I want.

Has anyone installed an electrical harness for a heated vest/gloves for all year riding?

Back