Power Commander question

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much effect does the PC have on a bike? Do I need to put one on my bike if I have a better than stock air filter and aftermarket exhaust? What does the PC really do? Exactly what is "Mapping"? and how do you do it? I couldnt really find what I want with a search. Thanks for your help.:thumbup: There are no dumb questions, right?:confused:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much effect does the PC have on a bike? Do I need to put one on my bike if I have a better than stock air filter and aftermarket exhaust? What does the PC really do? Exactly what is "Mapping"? and how do you do it? I couldnt really find what I want with a search. Thanks for your help.:thumbup: There are no dumb questions, right?:confused:

"At the factory the fuel injection systems on bikes are set up to work with the stock air intake and exhaust. When you modify the flow of air by adding an aftermarket filter or pipes then the air/fuel ratio is changed. Usually less restrictive upgrades are added which allow more airflow, and this can cause the engine to run lean (too much air, not enough fuel in the mixture). This is where a Power Commander comes in. It allows you to modify the fuel flow parameters in the bike's ECU so you get the proper mixture. It's just like rejetting a carb on a non fuel-injected bike."

By Mandres from sportsbike.net

It seems you gain average 5hp-7hp and smooths out the throttle response. I wouldnt get it if you dont really have any mods such as the exhaust or the filter.

Mapping is a custom written piece of code designed for your specific bike with the special modifications that you add to your bike. There are stock maps which can be downloaded from Welcome to Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module or you can get a dyno tuned custom map from your local store. Im doing mine next week.

Hope this helps

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much what everyone said is true. Just personal experence when i put mine on it completly smoothed out the throttle responce. The 'second powerband' that starts at 8k is gone and it is just a smooth transition all the way through the rpm range.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Mapping is the computer's plot (in memory) of how much spark advance, and FI duration to apply for a given scenario..... this is determined by RPM, air temp, and throttle deflection. The air temp substitutes for air density, which changes with altitude, and temp.... thinner air won't carry as much fuel.... so if the air is hot, or you are above a certain altitude, the amount of fuel in the mix is reduced to match what the engine can actually burn.

When you reduce the intake restriction with a freer flowing air filter, and/or modified air box..... that can alter the air pressure delivered to the intake. When you also change the impedance in the exhaust, especially by removal of the cat, and add a 'straight through' muffler, vice the folded path in the automotive style OEM muffler, you can have a fairly significant effect on the amount of work lost, to breathing. Part of the 'work' you are 'harvesting', was the muffling of the exhaust noise.......

This is where most folks 'gain' a couple of ponies for all that work and money. The engine actually makes the same HP, but you get a bit more at the rear wheel. $800+ for the glass packs, maybe another $50 for a low restriction filter..... for 2-3 HP?

If you want more than that ~3-5% gain, you have to alter the fuel air mixture, to allow more gas in the mix. This is where a dyno comes into it, and the PC III/V. If you actually measure the HP at the back wheel with a dyno, you can adjust the amount of fuel to get an increase in HP. Almost all of the time, this means you have to add more gas, which decreases the MPG.

Last time I checked the PC III sets you back another few hundred dollars; and the Dyno time to make it useful will also cost you some cash. The end result of all of that, is a 'custom' map, which can be run on your bike.

By now, we're talking about $1300 or more, and it might result in no actual gains..... but done right may result in 6 or 7 HP increased, hopefully in a fairly uniform manner across the RPM band.

That's a lot of cash. And you get worse mileage, and have a good chance of annoying someone around you with the noise.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mapping is the computer's plot (in memory) of how much spark advance, and FI duration to apply for a given scenario..... this is determined by RPM, air temp, and throttle deflection. The air temp substitutes for air density, which changes with altitude, and temp.... thinner air won't carry as much fuel.... so if the air is hot, or you are above a certain altitude, the amount of fuel in the mix is reduced to match what the engine can actually burn.

When you reduce the intake restriction with a freer flowing air filter, and/or modified air box..... that can alter the air pressure delivered to the intake. When you also change the impedance in the exhaust, especially by removal of the cat, and add a 'straight through' muffler, vice the folded path in the automotive style OEM muffler, you can have a fairly significant effect on the amount of work lost, to breathing. Part of the 'work' you are 'harvesting', was the muffling of the exhaust noise.......

This is where most folks 'gain' a couple of ponies for all that work and money. The engine actually makes the same HP, but you get a bit more at the rear wheel. $800+ for the glass packs, maybe another $50 for a low restriction filter..... for 2-3 HP?

If you want more than that ~3-5% gain, you have to alter the fuel air mixture, to allow more gas in the mix. This is where a dyno comes into it, and the PC III/V. If you actually measure the HP at the back wheel with a dyno, you can adjust the amount of fuel to get an increase in HP. Almost all of the time, this means you have to add more gas, which decreases the MPG.

Last time I checked the PC III sets you back another few hundred dollars; and the Dyno time to make it useful will also cost you some cash. The end result of all of that, is a 'custom' map, which can be run on your bike.

By now, we're talking about $1300 or more, and it might result in no actual gains..... but done right may result in 6 or 7 HP increased, hopefully in a fairly uniform manner across the RPM band.

That's a lot of cash. And you get worse mileage, and have a good chance of annoying someone around you with the noise.

Thats why I why I have been searching for this stuff used, so far I came across a power Commander III $175, already did the exhaust, air filter I got 40% off from a website, which im going to post the code in a minute in a new thread. Im just waiting to get the PC III so I can go through with the master plan