Painted Rear Hugger

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you might be interested in my experience getting a color-matched rear hugger for my ‘07 Red FZ6.
Right after I got my FZ6 and found this forum, I started seeing pictures of bikes with painted rear huggers, and eventually found some sources, for example this TCP. I really liked the look, but $325 seemed a bit pricey, so I did not seriously consider buying one. Then one day I was rooting around one of the on-line parts places and happened to look at the price for the stock rear hugger. It was only about $17, which got me thinking that maybe I could buy one and try to paint it. If I messed it up, I’d only be out $17 and I’d still have the old one on the bike. So I clicked on “buy” and soon had a new black plastic fender hugger. (Actual cost was about $23, including its share of the shipping on the order.) To make a long story short, in order to attempt to get good results, I decided to take it to a local body shop that has done good work for me a number of times. We jointly decided to use paint from ColorRite Distributing, which was the source given to me by my Yamaha dealer for color matched paint. The cheapest option (which was still quite costly) was to use aerosol spray cans. After two orders of paint (the shop ran out the first can of the top-coat color, so I had to order another), I picked it up last Friday. The quality of the paint job, finish, etc., is excellent; I have no complaints with the work done by the body shop. Unfortunately, despite buying the purported matching color from the right source, the color is not really an exact match. I went ahead and put it on yesterday to see if it is close enough. So far, the jury is still out. Since I know about the mismatch, my eye is drawn right to it and I notice it. I don’t know if a casual observer would notice it. If I had it to do over again, I would have the shop just try to match the color tone as closely as possible with their paint, and not worry too much about getting a metallic finish. If you would like to try something like this yourself, I’d recommend just buying various colors of red spray paint from Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. until you find a decent match. You could probably end up with something that looks pretty good for a lot less than I spent.
I also installed the wheel stripes I got a while back. To my eye, they look a little too “orangey”, I may have to get the deeper red color that I believe was available. All in all, yesterday was a bit of a disappointing day as far as mods go. Here’s a couple of pictures of the results:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks great. Since you pointed it out, it looks darker than the tank, but could be the angle or shadow, because the grab handles and side pods look a little darker in the same picture. Had you not said anything about the color mismatch, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for your kind words. I think it will be fine, but I like getting positive affirmation!
Is your plate really FZ6???
Well, not quite. In Ohio, you can get simple letter-number combinations for only an extra $10 per year, and you can check availability on-line. Some rat-bast**d (who hopefully does not frequent this forum!) already had "FZ6". Mine is close, but I thought it would look cool to alter the photo, and to see if anyone noticed. :)

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Looks great, just saw another bike that used the same website you did for color matching paint. Each can was $33, and you used two...that's a great thing to know...I was only going to buy one.

Do you know the process the guy used or how much he charged to do it? I'd like to be able to do it at home.

Anybody have recommendations? I mean, spending $100 on paint, undercoat and topcoat is already a lot just for a rear hugger...

What did the shop charge you? What shops do I look up online? Like an autobody store?

also, that TCP hugger looks shorter than the stock one...I'd rather it look like yours with the longer hugger than shorter.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good to me.:Flash:

My tho'ts are that the color would have matched had your bike been brand new & had not seen the sun yet. I'm sure the OEM paint has felt the effects of the UV & exact paint will not match!

BTW - is that a red tinted windscreen too?

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, just saw another bike that used the same website you did for color matching paint. Each can was $33, and you used two...that's a great thing to know...I was only going to buy one.

Do you know the process the guy used or how much he charged to do it? I'd like to be able to do it at home.

Anybody have recommendations? I mean, spending $100 on paint, undercoat and topcoat is already a lot just for a rear hugger...

What did the shop charge you? What shops do I look up online? Like an autobody store?

also, that TCP hugger looks shorter than the stock one...I'd rather it look like yours with the longer hugger than shorter.

If you can get matching paint it is easy to do. I have done lots of dash parts in cars. You have to options paint it with the texture or send the hugger smooth. Smooth will make it look more metallic when you are done. I always painted a bottom coat let it dry and sand again. Do to or three coats just like that. Then do two or three clear coats.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you might be interested in my experience getting a color-matched rear hugger for my ‘07 Red FZ6.
Right after I got my FZ6 and found this forum, I started seeing pictures of bikes with painted rear huggers, and eventually found some sources, for example this TCP. I really liked the look, but $325 seemed a bit pricey, so I did not seriously consider buying one. Then one day I was rooting around one of the on-line parts places and happened to look at the price for the stock rear hugger. It was only about $17, which got me thinking that maybe I could buy one and try to paint it. If I messed it up, I’d only be out $17 and I’d still have the old one on the bike. So I clicked on “buy” and soon had a new black plastic fender hugger. (Actual cost was about $23, including its share of the shipping on the order.) To make a long story short, in order to attempt to get good results, I decided to take it to a local body shop that has done good work for me a number of times. We jointly decided to use paint from ColorRite Distributing, which was the source given to me by my Yamaha dealer for color matched paint. The cheapest option (which was still quite costly) was to use aerosol spray cans. After two orders of paint (the shop ran out the first can of the top-coat color, so I had to order another), I picked it up last Friday. The quality of the paint job, finish, etc., is excellent; I have no complaints with the work done by the body shop. Unfortunately, despite buying the purported matching color from the right source, the color is not really an exact match. I went ahead and put it on yesterday to see if it is close enough. So far, the jury is still out. Since I know about the mismatch, my eye is drawn right to it and I notice it. I don’t know if a casual observer would notice it. If I had it to do over again, I would have the shop just try to match the color tone as closely as possible with their paint, and not worry too much about getting a metallic finish. If you would like to try something like this yourself, I’d recommend just buying various colors of red spray paint from Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. until you find a decent match. You could probably end up with something that looks pretty good for a lot less than I spent.
I also installed the wheel stripes I got a while back. To my eye, they look a little too “orangey”, I may have to get the deeper red color that I believe was available. All in all, yesterday was a bit of a disappointing day as far as mods go. Here’s a couple of pictures of the results:

Looks good, did you use a primer too? Or will any old primer work?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
If you can get matching paint it is easy to do. I have done lots of dash parts in cars. You have to options paint it with the texture or send the hugger smooth. Smooth will make it look more metallic when you are done. I always painted a bottom coat let it dry and sand again. Do to or three coats just like that. Then do two or three clear coats.

So:

1) Sand rear hugger lightly
2) Apply base coat
3) sand base coat
4) Repeat 2-3 a few times
5) Apply color coat
6) Apply 2 to 3 layers of clear coat

is that right?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to have you buy two cans on my account, but I hated having to pay $10 shipping twice. Remember you need the base coat too, so that's another $33.
As far as process, I'm not too sure. He said he was going to have to "bake" the plastic first to get the oil(?) out, then prime it with plastic primer, then paint and clear coat.
Tell me about it! My recommendation would be to try it yourself, using something other (cheaper) than the ColorRite paint
He charged me $100, which I don't think really covered all the time and materials he put in it. I'd say any autobody place should have the skills.
Yes, I think the TCP is shorter. I liked it fine the stock length.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good to me.:Flash:

My tho'ts are that the color would have matched had your bike been brand new & had not seen the sun yet. I'm sure the OEM paint has felt the effects of the UV & exact paint will not match!

BTW - is that a red tinted windscreen too?

Thanks!
I wondered about the sun, but it hasn't seen that much sun yet, assuming it was inside for the last year at the dealer (which I think it was.)

Yes, it is a red tinted windscreen! (A Puig)

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good, did you use a primer too? Or will any old primer work?
As far as I know, the autobody guy used a primer that is designed for plastic. I'm no expert, but I know that krylon, rustoleum etc. sell special plastic primers and/or paints for plastic, so I assume plastic takes something special.