Need DIY FZ6 speedo dashboard opinion for naked conversion.

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I am moving from VS2 kit to something different. I have sketched out a few designs will see what is feasible as I fabricate. Meanwhile, I have been working on fabricating the dashboard (pics included) to mount the speedo (and may other switches, and a charging port).

Was looking for opinions on if I should angle the dashboard as in the cardboard with speedo pic. Or keep it as is in aluminum with speedo. Originally had a flat design in mind as I was going to drill a hole on the right side for a cigarette socket and the right side for a set of toggle switches. But not sure I am liking the aesthetics.

Which is better of the two?
IMG_20150916_225415.jpg
IMG_20150916_225434.jpg

Cardboard > Plastic board > Aluminum progression
IMG-20150829-WA0000.jpg

How the dashboard fits on the bike.
IMG_20150828_001412.jpg
IMG_20150828_001054.jpg

Anyways, I am also looking for suggestions/ideas on making the speedo dashboard functional and aesthetic at the same time, if possible.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure the speedometer is angled directly to your eye "height" for best visibility.

I'd also keep the unit OVERALL, dead center in the bracket (for asthetic's)

I would leave as much room as possible for cable movement for any cable running thru the bracket.

With your pic's, I would likely have the bracket surround the entire speedometer assembly, just to keep again the same aesthetics's/theme

You may end up making something to hide wires, etc added to your main plate (which can be done later as need be).

Re the finish, I've found black, truck liner, spray paint gives a VERY DURABLE finish and hides most imperfections.

I'd also NOT install a cig lighter as they don't tend to hold accessories as well as the Powerlet BMW style water proof (with cover). Its smaller and will not release accidentally what ever you have plugged into it..

I think the above is what you were asking about, good luck...

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure the speedometer is angled directly to your eye "height" for best visibility.

I'd also keep the unit OVERALL, dead center in the bracket (for asthetic's)

I would leave as much room as possible for cable movement for any cable running thru the bracket.

With your pic's, I would likely have the bracket surround the entire speedometer assembly, just to keep again the same aesthetics's/theme

You may end up making something to hide wires, etc added to your main plate (which can be done later as need be).

Re the finish, I've found black, truck liner, spray paint gives a VERY DURABLE finish and hides most imperfections.

I'd also NOT install a cig lighter as they don't tend to hold accessories as well as the Powerlet BMW style water proof (with cover). Its smaller and will not release accidentally what ever you have plugged into it..

I think the above is what you were asking about, good luck...

This is what I ended up with for speedo mount.
Need to figure out how to hide that wire from the speedo.

Headlight, headlight brackets and turn signals are temporary, to keep the bike on the road.

Any suggestions on what to do with all the harness? Its all over the place behind the headlight. Unsightly. Tried tucking in as much as I could in the headlight.
IMG_20150921_222538.jpg
IMG_20150921_222600.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps pull as much of the wiring (leaving some slack for turning), into the frame/under the tank.

Electrical tape to start with, then some automotive split/flexible, black wiring loom over that.

I'd also (if not already) round off any sharp corners on the main plate..

Note;

There's a BUNCH of wires/hoses tucked neatly inside (with zip ties) inside my main wiring harness below on the boat;

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I ended up with for speedo mount.
Need to figure out how to hide that wire from the speedo.

Headlight, headlight brackets and turn signals are temporary, to keep the bike on the road.

Any suggestions on what to do with all the harness? Its all over the place behind the headlight. Unsightly. Tried tucking in as much as I could in the headlight.
View attachment 65401
View attachment 65402

Theres a lot of extra wires and crap once you ditch the front fairing. Right now I have mine bundled and taped but still looks like crap. Over the next few days it will be time to go to town with a soldering iron and some heat shrink. I'm going to cut all the wiring to the length it needs to be and eliminate the mess.

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Theres a lot of extra wires and crap once you ditch the front fairing. Right now I have mine bundled and taped but still looks like crap. Over the next few days it will be time to go to town with a soldering iron and some heat shrink. I'm going to cut all the wiring to the length it needs to be and eliminate the mess.

I was hoping there was an easier solution than that. I wonder if we can source the FZ6n harness, which was meant for the naked model. It should be shorter and fit the stock connectors. Going to try to see if I can find the part number. Do you still have the link you used to find the speedo cover for me from the euro version?

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps pull as much of the wiring (leaving some slack for turning), into the frame/under the tank.

Electrical tape to start with, then some automotive split/flexible, black wiring loom over that.

I'd also (if not already) round off any sharp corners on the main plate..

Note;

There's a BUNCH of wires/hoses tucked neatly inside (with zip ties) inside my main wiring harness below on the boat;

Yeah. I went over the sharp edges with a sanding block. it is fairly rounded. Not sure there is any space inside/under the tank to pull the wire. I tried pushing it in a little, but than the H4 connector would not make it to the headlight. Maybe I need to build an extension for the H4 and turn signals. That way I can put the entire harness inside the bike.

Btw, thanks for the suggestion on "wiring loom". I knew I wanted something like that, I just didn't know what it was called or where I could find it. I had tried lowes without success.

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know where to find a cheap headlight fairing. The one you usually see with round headlights. A tiny one that is all black would cover the wiring. I might try to fit my VS2 kit fairing with some mods. See how that turns out in the meanwhile.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Y

Btw, thanks for the suggestion on "wiring loom". I knew I wanted something like that, I just didn't know what it was called or where I could find it. I had tried lowes without success.

Home Depo should have it in the electrical department as well as most marine outfitters and some electrical vendors. Should be by the zip ties, small electrical doo dads..

The bigger/wider stuff is harder to find..

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Home Depo should have it in the electrical department as well as most marine outfitters and some electrical vendors. Should be by the zip ties, small electrical doo dads..

The bigger/wider stuff is harder to find..

I bought some yesterday. Radio shack had a pack of 1" shielding, walmart had 3/4", which is what I bought. Also found a relay to use for the headlight at the shack. Hoping I can get it to fit in the headlight bucket.

As far as the fz6n harness, i searched on two uk parts websites and couldn't find it.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the wiring done, only messed with the headlight and turn signal wires. Also re-did all the grounds. It was 3/8 tubing i used, not 3/4. Cleaned it up alot.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really good and tidy. How do you like those LED signals? I've seen them online, but they're so cheap I figured that they were cheap...

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
They're crappy, I decided not to use them. My bike had some aftermarket leds when i got it, watsens I think. I made clips to mount them onto the brackets and used them. Think i may have successfully thread jacked, so I will post more pics in the thread I started a few days ago.

Last edited:

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the wiring done, only messed with the headlight and turn signal wires. Also re-did all the grounds. It was 3/8 tubing i used, not 3/4. Cleaned it up alot.

That looks really. Good. My project has been on hold since last week. Will pick up again next week.

You got the 3/8 tubing from Walmart?