MPG's for other bikes?

I want to agree with you and I certainly notice this difference in my cars, but with the FZ1.. I can seriously baby it to a senseless degree.. we're talking keeping RPMs at 3k for most of the tank, and I still get 35.

I can ride it at higher RPM (7-8k (basically never get out of 2nd gear).. which would bike like keeping FZ6 at 9-10).. and it STILL gets 35k, so :don'tknow:

Generally, I'm pretty easy on my bike.. so it's just not very efficient.

And I may be wrong, but I think Euro gas is actually better than the stuff we get in the states.

Ok, I said that wrong. Are you smooth? Do you accelerate gently to your chosen RPM's? Or do you WOT, shift, WOT, shift, drop back down. That is a bigger difference when riding around town then a few thousand RPM's. You burn gas to get energy. You expend energy when you are changing vectors (speeding up or down). How long have you been riding? Are you comfortable enough in traffic to ride at your pace without getting ran over? can you reverse pass (allow a vehicle to overtake you, then pull in behind them? If you are good with that then try this. Time stop lights so you don't have to stop. If it's red you slow down to 5 MPH or less for the last 100 yards or so. Then when it turns green accelerate gently. Joisy has pretty bad traffic, IIRC. Haven't been there since the 70's and I doubt that it has improved.
Better gas? Gas is gas, Government requires certain chemicals be added to the gas. Are the European chemicals better then the American chemicals. I wouldn't know.
I know ethanol has just a fracton of the energy per volume that gasolene does. It also has a higher flash point and a longer burn time. It has no environmental affect at all. Ethanol was required because the corporate farmers had all this substandard corn that was going to waste. So their tame Congress critters passed a law and now the corporations sell that substandard corn to Big OIL which process it into ethanol.
Your government at work. They are coming to help you.:Sport:

My first calculated tank on the FZ6 was 37mpg... a little disturbing but I had ran some SeaFoam in the tank and it was new-to-me at that time.

A week later I got 46. My current tank is at 170 miles and will likely show 50+.

That being said my previous bikes averaged:

Ninja 250 - would get 46 if beating on it, 56 if being nice.

Vulcan 900 Custom - for a 900cc v-twin weighing 650lbs, it honestly gets 50-52mpg every time.

KTM Duke 2 - stock it got 48-50. Jetted it to the max and gutted the cans, rip on it way harder now days and its getting 52-54.

I don't think I'd enjoy a bike that only got 35 or so. Half the reason for riding is the saved fuel, my car can get close to 30, so my bikes need to get 50 or so to warrant keeping them around.

good to know about your FZ6! mine has been "new to me" for the last five months, too. i have averaged 38-40mpg and while hoping for better i know it is within the companies EPA claim of 39mpg so have been OK with it, if a bit wanting. plus being in California, our "seasonal gas" mpg hit, ethanol, and w/e emissions crap to deal with...as well as my, um, spirited riding and 220lb frame....i have been accepting of my lower then others mpg

BUT, i have not added any seafoam to the tank because i have not been comfortable with the thought of fuel additives in the bike. it also will require a tune up /service in the next few thousand miles as i am nearing 11,000 total miles on the bike. so, that may improve things as well

i have always trusted seafoam in my carb scooters, around 1 1/2 ounces to the gallon. does this mean i should treat the FZ6 from 5-8 ounces for a full tank? seems a alot, and is that amount safe? i'd love to try it and see if i get MORE from a tank

Last edited:
BUT, i have not added any seafoam to the tank because i have not been comfortable with the thought of fuel additives in the bike. it also will require a tune up /service in the next few thousand miles as i am nearing 11,000 total miles on the bike. so, that may improve things as well

i have always trusted seafoam in my carb scooters, around 1 1/2 ounces to the gallon. does this mean i should treat the FZ6 from 5-8 ounces for a full tank? seems a alot, and is that amount safe? i'd love to try it and see if i get MORE from a tank

I use Seafoam off and on on my bike and occassionally Yamaha RingFree (much more aggressive at cleaning the fuel system and top end);

Yamaha Ring Free Fuel Additive
Don't let the price put you off, its mixed 1 ounce per 10 gallons, Seafoam is 1 oz per 1 gallon (10x's stronger). Extra RingFree or Seafoam in the tank also won't hurt anything, just don't go overboard with it..

Neither will hurt anything. Sefoam is also a stabilizer, the Ringfree, JUST a CLEANER.

My bike has 18,000 miles on it currently, new air filter, 7100 full synthetic, Iridiums, front brake calipers rebuilt about 2 years ago (no un-necessary dragging) VERY well maintained chain.

Beating around town, an occassional romp, 48 and change MPG (US)

The RingFree is good in both 2 and 4 strokes, but was marketed mostly for the marine division. I've posted previously how much better it works than Sefoam or Techtron..(which I also use depending on the machine I'm working on/repairing)

Last edited:
I'm not so sure our petrol (gas) is actually better than in the States - I think the Octane levels might be slightly different, but that doesn't necessarily relate to quality or gas mileage (unless someone knows better and can clarify?). I know here in Europe fuel does have to be refined within strict rules - to do with emission levels I think, don't know if there's any difference with the US. Probably very little I would suggest.

Fuel in the US is absolutely worse. Why? Because it's mandated to contain 10% ethanol practically everywhere here now which has been proven to slightly lower fuel economy and cause fuel system problems. The all-knowing government did this originally in an attempt to be "green" and now they are stuck because if we suddenly went back to 100% gasoline prices would double overnight! :spank:

Ok, I said that wrong. Are you smooth? Do you accelerate gently to your chosen RPM's? Or do you WOT, shift, WOT, shift, drop back down. That is a bigger difference when riding around town then a few thousand RPM's. You burn gas to get energy. You expend energy when you are changing vectors (speeding up or down). How long have you been riding? Are you comfortable enough in traffic to ride at your pace without getting ran over? can you reverse pass (allow a vehicle to overtake you, then pull in behind them? If you are good with that then try this. Time stop lights so you don't have to stop. If it's red you slow down to 5 MPH or less for the last 100 yards or so. Then when it turns green accelerate gently. Joisy has pretty bad traffic, IIRC. Haven't been there since the 70's and I doubt that it has improved.
Better gas? Gas is gas, Government requires certain chemicals be added to the gas. Are the European chemicals better then the American chemicals. I wouldn't know.
I know ethanol has just a fracton of the energy per volume that gasolene does. It also has a higher flash point and a longer burn time. It has no environmental affect at all. Ethanol was required because the corporate farmers had all this substandard corn that was going to waste. So their tame Congress critters passed a law and now the corporations sell that substandard corn to Big OIL which process it into ethanol.
Your government at work. They are coming to help you.:Sport:

Gotcha.. all fair points. In my particular case, I've been riding for ~26 years now, with some gaps in between, but have been riding pretty much all through the year for the past ~8 years. So I can definitely do both *smooth* and *aggressive*.

98% of the time, my acceleration is smooth. Pretty much never WOT on the street (1st gear is good for 92mph.. so.. not wise). I commute during non-peak hours, so we're talking zero traffic. 35mpg is what this bike gets.

Fuel in the US is absolutely worse. Why? Because it's mandated to contain 10% ethanol practically everywhere here now which has been proven to slightly lower fuel economy and cause fuel system problems. The all-knowing government did this originally in an attempt to be "green" and now they are stuck because if we suddenly went back to 100% gasoline prices would double overnight! :spank:

Well that would explain why our European members can get into the 50's(MPG- US). I can get close but no cigar.

You can get Non ethonol fuel at most Marina's down here (in the boat or an auxilary fuel tank) but you CANNOT pump directly into a MC or car... Considerably more expensive too...(roughly $1.00 / gallon more)

Well that would explain why our European members can get into the 50's(MPG- US). I can get close but no cigar.

You can get Non ethonol fuel at most Marina's down here (in the boat or an auxilary fuel tank) but you CANNOT pump directly into a MC or car... Considerably more expensive too...(roughly $1.00 / gallon more)

Most sonoco's sell straight gas non ethanol

How much more, (approx) per gallon is it than reg ethonol crap?

I think we have two Sunoco's down here in my county but it about 25 miles to get to it... :(

Most of the time about the same or .10 more than premium but here in atl were right at the end of pipelines so gas tends to be a bit cheaper

Most of the time about the same or .10 more than premium but here in atl were right at the end of pipelines so gas tends to be a bit cheaper

Damn, that's cheap.

Marina, mid grade, non ethonol is about $1.00 more per gallon, well over $4.25 here (last time I fueled up).. (anything "marine" is more expensive anyway)

If you pick up roughly 10% mileage without ethonol, it'd well be worth $.10 as your mileage should increase the same amount.

Cupcake is getting low 50's in England, best I can get is 48 here with ethonol. Add 10%, (roughly 4.8 miles MPG) and I'm at 52 MPG's(US) or so (same as in Europe)..

I've managed to get 52 on a couple occasions. Relatively level grade and speed around 50-60 with only a few traffic lights. Most of the time I'm in the mid-upper 40s.

Engines are at their most efficient at torque peak but do not confuse efficiency with economy although better efficiency can mean better economy.

I see the FZ6 motor as being 2 engines in one as there are two torque peaks, one at about 4-5000 rpm (where the torque is higher than at 7000 rpm), and the other at about 10,500 rpm. The motor should be very efficient and economical at 5000 rpm and efficient but not economical at the higher torque at 10,500 rpm due to a multitude reasons. (more fuel to generate greater torque, more wind resistance, etc.)

My daily commute of 20 miles one way is 90% on highway at 70 mph and 10% semi-urban and the bike regularly returns better than 50 mpg US. Obviously very little WOT in this situation. I have also noticed that it seems to be more economical in warmer weather than in colder weather and assume that it runs slightly richer in cold ambient temperatures.

Sustained higher speeds in the region of 90 mph increase the consumption by at least 10%.

I use Seafoam off and on on my bike and occassionally Yamaha RingFree (much more aggressive at cleaning the fuel system and top end);

Don't let the price put you off, its mixed 1 ounce per 10 gallons, Seafoam is 1 oz per 1 gallon (10x's stronger). Extra RingFree or Seafoam in the tank also won't hurt anything, just don't go overboard with it..

Neither will hurt anything. Sefoam is also a stabilizer, the Ringfree, JUST a CLEANER.

My bike has 18,000 miles on it currently, new air filter, 7100 full synthetic, Iridiums, front brake calipers rebuilt about 2 years ago (no un-necessary dragging) VERY well maintained chain.

Beating around town, an occassional romp, 48 and change MPG (US)

The RingFree is good in both 2 and 4 strokes, but was marketed mostly for the marine division. I've posted previously how much better it works than Sefoam or Techtron..(which I also use depending on the machine I'm working on/repairing)

Minor correction: I've seen this written a few times so just to aid others should they go looking for it; Its "TECHRON" not Techtron. I thought it to be fat finger typo... perhaps cannabis moment?? haha! :D
http://www.techron.com/techron-concentrate-plus/

Its good stuff to use as a maintenance item BEFORE A PROBLEM occurs! Not sure its going to FIX a Problem!
I use it 3 times a year and because my bike is parked for 3 months, its also added to the last tank and ridden 100 miles before parking it (to extract moisture). Then Top off with stabilizer of your choice.

// back to mpg's

Travis, [MENTION=17345]ChevyFazer[/MENTION] what kind of MPG is the carbed FZ1 getting?

Minor correction: I've seen this written a few times so just to aid others should they go looking for it; Its "TECHRON" not Techtron. I thought it to be fat finger typo... perhaps cannabis moment?? haha! :D

Naw, a "Cannibus moment".. No fat fingers on this one..

The RingFree is much better anyway and I can't screw up typing that.:D

I've stopped looking at my MPG sometime ago - Too much stress :) With my commuting I was getting something around 35-40MPG :/ 50MPG seemed unrealistic for my ride.

PS. I've checked all that came to my mind and everything looked ok - no brake dragging, fuel pump ok, spark plugs ok, air filter ok. So it seems this beast is just like that. Maybe I'm getting really ****ty gas.

I've stopped looking at my MPG sometime ago - Too much stress :) With my commuting I was getting something around 35-40MPG :/ 50MPG seemed unrealistic for my ride.

PS. I've checked all that came to my mind and everything looked ok - no brake dragging, fuel pump ok, spark plugs ok, air filter ok. So it seems this beast is just like that. Maybe I'm getting really ****ty gas.

Have you ever run a good fuel system cleaner additive to the fuel?

Injectors, over time, especially with ethonol, tend to crap up. A dirty injector(s) will make a difference in your mileage.

Just something to consider, besides better mileage, it would help clean your fuel system and top end (valves/rings, etc) as well (preventive maintainance)..

Fz09 runs about 36 and that's per the bike calculations. But I'm not real nice to it either.

That's average, now real time mpg I could keep 50s-60s in B mode 65 on the interstate.

Last edited:
Have you ever run a good fuel system cleaner additive to the fuel?

Injectors, over time, especially with ethonol, tend to crap up. A dirty injector(s) will make a difference in your mileage.

Just something to consider, besides better mileage, it would help clean your fuel system and top end (valves/rings, etc) as well (preventive maintainance)..

I'm running them from time to time (two times per year?). Usually I use SeaFoam. But last time I've used B12 it run nice for half an hour and then I couldn't start it :/ It took good minute of cranking (with breaks) to start and then there was quite a lot of darkish smoke from exhaust :)

I've never saw very obvious signs those cleaners did job on my bikes. What cleaner do you use ?

I'm running them from time to time (two times per year?). Usually I use SeaFoam. But last time I've used B12 it run nice for half an hour and then I couldn't start it :/ It took good minute of cranking (with breaks) to start and then there was quite a lot of darkish smoke from exhaust :)

I've never saw very obvious signs those cleaners did job on my bikes. What cleaner do you use ?

I bet that darkish smoke was carbon getting loosened up and blown out.

Depending on the application, I use Seafoam, Techron, however the strongest and best working IME, is Yamaha's marine grade "RingFree".

Its good in 2 and 4 cycles engines and is considerably stronger (1 oz / 10 gallons).

The initial smaller bottle isn't cheap but again, your NOT using nearly as much. Shop around, you can get it cheaper. I've used it very heavy doses in small engines (carbs starting to clog up, won't idle, some misfiring at WOT, cleared it up without doing ANYTHING ELSE. I've been running it in my boat for about 3 years (with a fuel stabilizer). Engine (2007 Yamaha F150, 4 stroke, in line 4 OB), runs like a top.. You can run it heavier without hurting anything...

As your not using nearly as much as say Seafoam (a 5-20 wt oil consistancy), its not going to dilute your fuel to an oily mixture.

Last edited:
Fz09 runs about 36 and that's per the bike calculations. But I'm not real nice to it either.

That's average, now real time mpg I could keep 50s-60s in B mode 65 on the interstate.

If I milk it I can get 47MPG @ 70MPH freeway speed. Normal riding I get 40-42 MPG with the 09.

Back