Best investment EVER R6 Forks! Rides so Nice......

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick post - went for a 2 up ride and for anyone doubting this was worth every penny once again this totally confirmed it! Stable, smooth, predictable, no face plants, none of that bucking where the nose dives and the back comes up or rocking horse action over the rough terrain.

And again the bottom line, its simply safer in how it rides. Turn in is great and braking in the corners no longer has me changing my line from nose dive and other acts of squirrellyness. . . . :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another quick post -
Average suspension range of use is 2.35" over smooth terrain which this includes heavy braking.

I recall hitting a rather large bump at speed which appears to have used about 3.75"

These have 4.8" vs stock of 5.1".

Oil: Needs 5wt. . .
As for two posts up, If I pull them for any reason - I'm putting 5wt oil back in that as the range of adjustment is too close to the end meaning they are too stiff with 10wt.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i really want the adjustablity of preload in the front!:shakehead: right now im just running hyperpro progressive springs w/ 15w oil theyre pretty good but i doubt its as good as the r6 forks! i check my sag 4 days ago while the bike was cold and in the front its 27mm way to tight unless i measured wrong

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i really want the adjustablity of preload in the front!:shakehead: right now im just running hyperpro progressive springs w/ 15w oil theyre pretty good but i doubt its as good as the r6 forks! i check my sag 4 days ago while the bike was cold and in the front its 27mm way to tight unless i measured wrong

What is your spring rate? An you could chop the tube a bit to drop it into the 30's. . . .

stlmxrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the conversion for the last few rides with total around 500 miles. The roads are all twisties and hills with mixture of chip n seal/ concrete south of I-44 in Missouri to Arkansas. The setup is night and day. I ride with a fairly aggressive group. No knee dragging but at least 30MPH over on turns. Turns are no longer insecure when you hit the slightest bump. I left all stock internals but changed oil with 10W. With gear I weight about 200#. The forks are shorter than OEM about 1" I believe. I utilized dako81 kit for the fenders and brakes. Great setup he offers and it makes the job go great. Every bump is noticed but no longer the quick long stroke dive as the OEM provided at breaking. At constant high speed over 80 you do get a buzz in the bars. But I do use FZ1 bars and will probably put weights in them. I feel the bike sits more nose down which as a result makes you one with the tank.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Rider Adjustments. . .

After another ride I'll have to admit that it takes a tad more effort to turn in. I thought it was me but now I'm pretty sure the nose is higher than with the saggy springs and I likely need to push the forks up 4 to 8mm so it falls in nicely. This could compromise high speed stability tho and its butter smooth at 85. Perhaps I'll wait for the new tires to be mounted (BT-16s)?! Although its easy enough to slide the tubes.

Finally started playing with the fork height. 8mm above the triple is great for twisties and makes the bike INCREDIBLY RESPONSIVE! Like a quick toss from side to side is effortless! She becomes very nimble and you can weave your way around nearly anything with little to no effort what so ever. I fear at higher speed and rough terrain this may be a bit much but 4mm wasn't enough so perhaps the sweet spot is 6mm and I'll fall back a touch.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny a tiny little change like that IS noticeable!!! And the two's of us are on the same page!!!

Did you find something unfavorable at #'s >6 and 8? High speed issues perhaps?

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
It also depends on tire size. The first day I did my swap I used the fz stock size 120/70R17 but would not fit with r6 fender so I changed to a 120/60R17. That was a huge difference in turning so much faster.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I had an aborted front tire change this weekend (I had the wheel off, bead broken and the rim mounted in my HF tire changer with new Mojoblocks, when I realized that the replacement tip for my mojolever was wrong, so I had to put everything back together again...) and when I pulled off my FZ6 front fender, I was surprised to find that I was missing a bolt on the left side fender adapter.

I run the sharkbait kit and I must not have tightened up the little bolt enough as it's no longer there. Luckily, the other side held, so I'm going to find a replacement bolt.

I also noticed that my inside brake pads are shot, so I just ordered up a new set of pads. Going with a set of EBC HH pads this time, as I ran the normal EBC pads last time.

Still loving the R6 forks and brakes, going strong since 2006 on my FZ6.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It also depends on tire size. The first day I did my swap I used the fz stock size 120/70R17 but would not fit with r6 fender so I changed to a 120/60R17. That was a huge difference in turning so much faster.

Just an observation but this seems backwards. :don'tknow: As in a wider flatter cross sectional tire aka 60 series should (IMO )take more effort to turn in than a narrow tire (aka 70 series). Perhaps your situation is more of one going from squared off used tire to a new tire??? Just maybe?
But it could be as simply as the tires design as we all know tires feel different even though they are of the same size.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
You have it wrong 60 is the height not width it means 60% of the width to make height of tire so tire is smaller in overall diameter.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have it wrong 60 is the height not width it means 60% of the width to make height of tire so tire is smaller in overall diameter.

Had to see how much smaller it is.

1/2 the diameter of 120/70 R17 = 299.9mm
1/2 the diameter of 120/60 R17 = 287.9mm
------------------------------------------
Equals a change of - - - - - - - 12 mm

That's dropping the nose 12mm, discounting the actual shape of the tires profile as in how round it is. Painting this picture - YA, THAT'S HUGE CHANGE!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update; I've fiddled with it more and God if Yamaha had released this bike with these forks there woulda been many happy riders out there!

I've slid the forks up and down and settled upon 8mm. 10 and 12 is too much but 8 is indeed the sweet spot. Nimble, turns in nice, predicable, stable at XXX and I just couldn't go back so the FZ forks will be leaving to find a new home.

Also; I'm fairly hard on my brake and have put maybe 1,300 miles on them since the swap so it may be too soon to say but I see no favoring of inner pad wear after doing this swap. I'm not sure why others are chewing up the inner pads.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Update; I've fiddled with it more and God if Yamaha had released this bike with these forks there woulda been many happy riders out there!
Agreed!

I've slid the forks up and down and settled upon 8mm. 10 and 12 is too much but 8 is indeed the sweet spot. Nimble, turns in nice, predicable, stable at XXX and I just couldn't go back so the FZ forks will be leaving to find a new home.
I should probably sell my stock forks/brakes someday too.

When I did the R6 fork swap years ago, I switched to Conti Road Attack tires at the same time, and put on a few pairs of the same since then. I'm at 10mm and although it felt fine, turn in was a bit odd. Just this spring, I finally switched to a different tire, Michelin Pilot Road 3's. The difference in feel is amazing, and I'm so happy with them. I thought the Road Attacks were good, but the PR3's with 10mm are awesome! Turn in is a lot smoother now, and everything works well together. I never knew it was the tires giving the bike the odd turn in feel.

Also; I'm fairly hard on my brake and have put maybe 1,300 miles on them since the swap so it may be too soon to say but I see no favoring of inner pad wear after doing this swap. I'm not sure why others are chewing up the inner pads.
I believe that I'm the only one who experienced the inner pad wear problem, and I'm not sure it was excessive, since both pads were worn down do far. With my new pads, I'm not feeling any noticeable drag.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_20180509_143953.jpg

Image of S2 fork spacers mounted for R6 fork mod. Seemed like the old images all got baleeted.