Mods for cheep

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done a couple of mods to my 2006 FZ6 for the budget moder. I really saved some big bucks by making my own fender eliminator out of a 1"x1" piece of 90 degree angle aluminum. i just cut in the corner about 1" and beat the two tabs square on a piece of wood then drilled holes on each side to mount lights and holes on front to mount plate and two holes on top to mount to factory bolt holes just at the end of the can. Cost like $6 for materials plus $30 for after market lights. I also painted the side walls of my rims yamaha blue looks really good breaks up the all black rims. cost $10 for can of spray paint from local automotive paint shop. I will add some pics of mods shortly. If anybody else has done some budget mods I would love to hear some ideas and pics are a plus.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done! You can't beat aluminium band for making stuff. That, a drill, a few Nylock nuts and a few star washers and you are good to go!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great budget mod is changing the front sprocket to a 15T from a 16T. This costs about $20 to $35 shipped, take less than one hour to install, and will add a lot more thrust than an aftermarket exhaust or any other basic power mod. On the down side, it will mess up your speedo and odo but that can be corrected with a speedohealer if you care.

H

HavBlue

Great budget mod is changing the front sprocket to a 15T from a 16T. This costs about $20 to $35 shipped, take less than one hour to install, and will add a lot more thrust than an aftermarket exhaust or any other basic power mod. On the down side, it will mess up your speedo and odo but that can be corrected with a speedohealer if you care.

Plus 1, this makes a huge difference and the bang for the buck factor is over the top....

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
wow the rims look great, much better alternative to rim stripes, if the paint holds up well. any clear coat?

no clear coat but I've had it done now for 2 years and it has held up good. even with 4 rear tire changes and 1 front. but if you are going to paint anything just remember to ruff up what you are going to paint with a 500-800 grit sand paper to make sure the paint sticks.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
If paint is a "budget" mod the I painted my radiator covers, exhaust covers, and passenger pegs flat black to match the frame. I will post pics someday.... when the g/f lets me use her laptop to upload pics.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If paint is a "budget" mod the I painted my radiator covers, exhaust covers, and passenger pegs flat black to match the frame. I will post pics someday.... when the g/f lets me use her laptop to upload pics.

Man Doc, g/f sure is possesive about her laptop. That is the second time you've mentioned that.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

Who makes the "best" 15T front sprocket for an FZ6?

H

HavBlue

Who makes the "best" 15T front sprocket for an FZ6?

Go to RK or DID. I think the one I got from Yamaha was like $35 and that included tax. Note: you will observe more noise as the new sprocket does not have the insulator like the factory one did.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site

Actually going up in the front will only make your top end faster and will slow the bike down from 0 to 100mph. If you go down one tooth in the front then you get faster o to 100mph. It slows down your top end by 5 or 6 mph but who rides around at 130 all the time anyway?

I have a lot of experience with sprockets because i change them out all the time on my stunt bike. Trust me dont go up in the front, go up in the back. Then go down in the front. That will make the biggest difference on acceleration.

One down in the front----2 up in the back. Follow that formula and you will have one awesome fz from 0 to 100mph.