Missing rear wheel alignment nuts/parts...?

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Hey all,

So I decided to clean and lube my chain for the first time today aand I noticed that there seemed to be some missing parts at the end of my swingarm. On the right, both nuts and the plate(washer thing? Not sure what to call it...), and on the left, just one nut. See pics... From what I understand those pieces keep my rear wheel aligned...so I'm assuming riding my bike in it's current condition is not wise...

Question is, where should I look for these parts? Should a dealer have them? Or should I look online somewhere? They ARE important, right? Any help would appreciated.

This is only my second post here--I just got the bike in June after passing MSF safety course in May. Been loving it so far but this has me confused as to how this happened and a little nervous that I've been riding with it like that...I'm new to bikes but don't be gentle. =P

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mark,

Those are your chain adjustment nuts and backing plate you are missing. A dealer should have them or at least be able to order them.

They are important and should be replaced before you ride again.

Again, congrats on the bike. The best way to learn about your bike is to work on it yourself:thumbup:

Joe

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened to me shortly after I got my bike - the locknut probably vibrated loose and the whole piece came out while you were riding somewhere.

This happened to me while on a long interstate ride. At a service station, I noticed that entire piece was missing; there was nothing I could do, so I continued to my destination, and then came back home (about 350 miles :spank:). You should replace the piece before you go riding, although someone more experienced can tell you if and why exactly it's actually dangerous or not.

You can get the missing pieces from Ron Ayers (ronayers.com), but check your dealer also - the shipping costs if you get it online might not be worth it.

Use blue Loctite on the outer nut so that it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't believe it is problem as the rear wheel is held in place by the pressure from the axle bolt. BUT if it is not, then can be BIG problem as the wheel could come out of alignment under acceleration or braking which could lead to a bad day.

If you don't have to ride then don't and get the parts ASAP.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was just working on a forum member's bike and found the the shop misaligned his rear wheel and had the chain so tight I thought it would break. He brought it to my attention because the one of the rear plates was rattling and loose. We pulled the hugger and I put my alignment tool on it and I could see it was out a little but then I checked the chain! :eek:

Here's a link to your parts. Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2005>FZ6ST FZ6>REAR WHEEL

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thanks everbody, I ended up ordering the parts from my dealer, they'll arrive in a week...I just have to now suffer through going without riding for a week. I decided I'll spend my free time polishing the pipes...started today and made a little headway...

Thanks for the ronayers link, I will definitely bookmark that and probably use it in the future.

@motogiro, is this like the alignment tool you have? I'd be interested in getting one if it helps out the process a lot.

Thanks again! I feel smarter already...

-mark

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everbody, I ended up ordering the parts from my dealer, they'll arrive in a week...I just have to now suffer through going without riding for a week. I decided I'll spend my free time polishing the pipes...started today and made a little headway...

Thanks for the ronayers link, I will definitely bookmark that and probably use it in the future.

@motogiro, is this like the alignment tool you have? I'd be interested in getting one if it helps out the process a lot.

Thanks again! I feel smarter already...

-mark

Yes that's the exact tool and it works great for me. I've tested the rod by rotating it in the holder to make sure it's all straight and accurate and it's great! There are so many ways people align the rear tire and many seem to work great.
Good luck on getting the new plate and nuts. Keep in mind those nuts are not a real hard material (that's the way they're supposed to be) so use good wrenches when you tighten them together so that they're locked.