Minor Dealer mishaps

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I brought my fz6 in on Thursday for the 4000 mile service, primarily for them to sync the throttle bodies. Wanted to do it myself, but didn't have the tools and felt that I might mess something up by building my own. So, I figured for the first time, might as well let the professionals do it.

Pick it up this morning, and while the idle seems more consistent, it is at about 1000rpm versus the near 1300 from before. Odd, but no biggie. Check the chain, and it is at about 35mm, when I had it at 55 before. Called them immediately to point out the fact that the few things they actually did were out of spec. They, of course, said to bring it in on Monday to take a look at it and "show you how we measure". You may already know that I am extremely fastidious about the bike and have read every post and manual regarding these items :)

Minor annoyances that can easily be remedied, but just seeing what I should do for the rest of the weekend. It is supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow and I want to ride. However, I also want to go back to the dealer Monday after work and force them to measure it in front of me, and explain why they failed to put the idle back in spec after the sync.

It was also twice as dirty as before and had that crap lube they throw on the chain that looks like gray glue.

I think I have decided that I should just get the appropriate tools and do it myself in the future, but for now do I ride it tomorrow as is and bring it back to them on Monday, or do I readjust everything and not bother going back? Ever.
Thanks brethren,

Scorpio

Last edited:

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
You paid for the service and you deserve it to be right. Take it back and see what their explanation is. Maybe they know something you don't. I think they are representing the Yamaha company and are trained by the manufacture so see if it's something that is a mistake or something Yamaha endorses.:D

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I talked to service manager on the phone, he agreed that there should be about ten more mm slack and didn't know why the other service guy set it that way. That's when he made the insinuation that I might need to be shown. :)

While I am no where near the mechanic as many of the members of this forum, I have become quite comfortable with the basics. They also just realigned the bike using the hash marks, which are off by a little bit on my bike.

I'm just torn between fixing it and riding and leaving it and making the trip after work on Monday.

I guess I can leave it up to fate and the weather.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing i would suggest to do....get a different mechanic fort your bike, or do what a lot of us do, do all the simple, non internal stuff yourself...

It will give you far greater piece of mind, knowing that you have done it yourself, and properly....

I have had so many stupid, lazy mistakes from dealers, that i have given up on them getting to do anywork on my bike!!!

Except recently, i had to put the bike in for Valve Clearance checks at 40000km's....and you know what....they stuffed my bike up doing that too....Broke a piece off my Seat Cowl!!!!

DIY! Where possible...do it yourself!

:thumbup:

Oh, and i would just ride my bike, and not go back to that shop...EVER!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing i would suggest to do....get a different mechanic fort your bike, or do what a lot of us do, do all the simple, non internal stuff yourself...

It will give you far greater piece of mind, knowing that you have done it yourself, and properly....

I have had so many stupid, lazy mistakes from dealers, that i have given up on them getting to do anywork on my bike!!!

Except recently, i had to put the bike in for Valve Clearance checks at 40000km's....and you know what....they stuffed my bike up doing that too....Broke a piece off my Seat Cowl!!!!

DIY! Where possible...do it yourself!

Oh, and i would just ride my bike, and not go back to that shop...EVER!
Pretty much my sentiments exactly, Wolf. Just needed someone else to say it with me.

In the past year, i've learned a ton about working on it myself. And like many, I really enjoy it. But still get a little nervous about being the first to do something on my bike, especially when I don't have the perfect tools. I guess I have to get over that because it seems like I'm the one that is going to put in the attention to detail my fz6 deserves :)

So I guess I'll add a Carbtune to the already long shopping list.

Thanks,

Scorp

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much my sentiments exactly, Wolf. Just needed someone else to say it with me.

In the past year, i've learned a ton about working on it myself. And like many, I really enjoy it. But still get a little nervous about being the first to do something on my bike, especially when I don't have the perfect tools. I guess I have to get over that because it seems like I'm the one that is going to put in the attention to detail my fz6 deserves :)

So I guess I'll add a Carbtune to the already long shopping list.

Thanks,

Scorp

Yep, the FZ6 is not a hard bike to work on....if i can do it, anyone can! If i have a doubt about something i am doing, i get my mates who know more than i ever will, to help me...

But changing oil, sprockets, chain's, brake pad's, bleeding brakes, adjusting clutch & brake levers, etc, etc...are all reasonably easy jobs, once you have taught yourself, or been shown by a mate, or sussed it out on forum's like this...

At least when we do the work, we have "Ownership" over the job!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess with chain its probably worth seeing what they say, when I did mine my Dad gave me a hand and wanted to do it one way (apparently the 'normal' way with the bikes he has) whereas the manual asked for the measurements to be taken totally different.
His way would have been very very different than mine of course, but we followed the manual and had no issues.
A bit strange about the idle though, although thats an extremely simple fix. I had the same service done, and had previously had mine at about 1.5 with an aftermarket exhaust and it was back at 1.3 which didn't bother me.

Its far better if your in warranty to spend the time talking and see what they say. Sometimes they'll have gotten the young guy to do the work, and he has done it wrong, and sometimes they just don't do it all that well.
Normally they are relatively understanding and you never know you might learn something :p

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
thats why all "thank you" of the world are not enough for this forum! fix your bike to the specs and go for your ride. dont mind the bad work they did, just do the basics yourself! and dont go to that dealer not even for a bolt tightening.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
wow, anal much? you are complaining about a 1/4" of chain slack? Most chains have 1/4" of difference between 180 degree rotations of the wheel. Seriously you are over-concerned. The idle is a matter of a screw being turned a 1/4 of a turn.

If it really bothers you that much, adjust it and ride on. But SERIOUSLY. It isn't that bad.

Wolfman, though, a broken part is unacceptable. Demand replacement in that circumstance.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman, though, a broken part is unacceptable. Demand replacement in that circumstance.

Dont worry, they will be...Best part is, it will be a costly lesson...about $500 for 2 seconds of stupidity, by someone, who's mind was not on the job! And that's the problem right there! Care factor! About Zero normally!

:(

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, anal much? you are complaining about a 1/4" of chain slack? Most chains have 1/4" of difference between 180 degree rotations of the wheel. Seriously you are over-concerned. The idle is a matter of a screw being turned a 1/4 of a turn.

If it really bothers you that much, adjust it and ride on. But SERIOUSLY. It isn't that bad.

I agree that it's anal, I think I even said that in OP.

The amount of error isn't my point, it's the lack of attention to detail. I've adjusted the chain and idle, it's an easy thing to do right. But if they can't do that, what else did they not do correctly or with the necessary care?

That's what I was trying to get at, not that the adjustment itselfvwas a huge deal.

Scorp

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the service work done at a dealer is done correctly. Do people post a message of how great the service was? It's mainly when something isn't done right, that the posting begins and then it's a fear game when you need to take your bike in. I don't go to the dealer for simple things ,but when I do go it's not a scary thing. Most things good aren't cheap.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update for those that PM'ed:

Went by the dealer today to talk "shop". Dan, the service manager, was more than willing to talk me through some stuff. As for the chain, he showed me how they adjust it: center stand and wiggle it. Eyeball a half inch to 3/4 in. of play. Said it doesn't really matter and that they purposefully set them even tighter on low mile bike because "the chain is going to loosen anyway".

As for the throttle bodies, said once every 20k if that. He uses a digital version, feels that the mercury or liquid versions are a waste of money (Carbtune, Carbsync). I guess mine, however, were a little out of whack at 3900 on odo.

They are a "Gold Motosports Technician" on Yamahas site and the guy is clearly knowledgeable, but I just think I am going to put more love into it than a dealer. If something comes up, I'll take it to a dealer, but in meantime, I'm buying the tools and trying it myself. If I get stuck, I've got a wealth of resources here :rockon:

Just thought I'd post it up.

Last edited: